Intel Xeon E5-2680v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
You might get a few dollars off by submitting an offer, however I agree with wildpig; the best price is getting it before it goes up like the SM chassis already have.

Reactions: pgh5278

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
I'm waiting until I can get 2 2680 v2 for $150 each. The improvement over 2670 v1 is just not worth any more if you already have them. I doubt the incremental improvement is worth even that much tbh. If you are building a new box they could be fine at the current price. However many thousands of these machines will be retired, even more so in the future with meltdown and spectre out, so I advise patience if you already have v1 CPUs.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Or consider the increased productivity or enjoyment you would get if you can get each 2680 v2 right now for $25 more for each. I don't think the price will go down anytime in the next few months..... so if you have to wait at least a yr before it goes down $25 more then you should just get it right now.....

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Or consider the increased productivity or enjoyment you would get if you can get each 2680 v2 right now for $25 more for each. I don't think the price will go down anytime in the next few months..... so if you have to wait at least a yr before it goes down $25 more then you should just get it right now.....
That was m theory as well... plus these run cooler than the V1's. My real score the the 2650L's for 100$ each. They are very cool, and sip power. Great machines to run 24/7 for light workloads...

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah, i made the mistake of buying a lenovo D30 without knowing that the earlier vers do not support v2 with no way to upgrade to v2 suppport. So i had to buy another D30 .....lol.... so now i have an extra D30 that is at the end of the road with dual 2670 v1..... maybe will put it up for sale....

Last edited:

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Sounds like you and your friend posters are affiliated with the Ebay sellers now selling those chips. I don't believe for one second that esiso, fifakingdom, and the rest don't know about this forum or don't take advantage of it to push their stock.

Thank you though for being so transparent, I'm sure others reading your comments in this thread can now see them for what they really are.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Sounds like you and your friend posters are affiliated with the Ebay sellers now selling those chips. I don't believe for one second that esiso, fifakingdom, and the rest don't know about this forum or don't take advantage of it to push their stock.

Thank you though for being so transparent, I'm sure others reading your comments in this thread can now see them for what they really are.
While I certainly agree that those sellers are likely aware of STH, I don't think Wildpig's comments should be construed as him shilling the products.

I've heard the same argument about cameras (another of my expensive hobbies), since many people tend to be cheapskates, myself included, they will wait a long time for the camera they want to go "on sale" instead of just paying the money and getting the benefits and enjoyment from day 1.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Why would anybody think that saying pay $25 extra for a newer chip is a con ?
There was a massive number of v1 chips that hit the market, most believe that this won’t be and hasn’t been the same with v2.

From my perspective the e5-2690v2 was the one that I saw deployed but I have not seen others suggest this will be a popular chip.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
lol... still waiting for my kickback from the 2680 v2 sellers... Unfortunately they say it will have to wait til next year to collect it.. :)......

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016

IMO

There are two kinds of people on this forums, people who care and people who don't. The latter are usually the smarter people, as they read these posts and research themselves if the information is valid.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
if you are not in rush, you can wait for eBay $15 off $$75 deal, plus if you have Samsung Pay, then you are able to get 10%-15% off buying eBay giftcard. both promotions run quite often, and you can get the price under $150 each quite easy.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Just picked up 14... I think its a good deal at this price. Nice cpu's and this gen of tech will serve my needs for sometime.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
Why would anybody think that saying pay $25 extra for a newer chip is a con ?
There was a massive number of v1 chips that hit the market, most believe that this won’t be and hasn’t been the same with v2.

From my perspective the e5-2690v2 was the one that I saw deployed but I have not seen others suggest this will be a popular chip.
Never said it was a con, you must have some problems with reading comprehension.

I said if you don't already have v1 processors the price is decent, but the incremental gains I can get from upgrading from v1 to v2 processors is not worth more than $150 each to me, and I doubt its worth that much in general.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Never said it was a con, you must have some problems with reading comprehension.

I said if you don't already have v1 processors the price is decent, but the incremental gains I can get from upgrading from v1 to v2 processors is not worth more than $150 each to me, and I doubt its worth that much in general.
You seem quite provocative to me. Is there anything that made you feel upset?

Trebor

Dec 18, 2017
I just got 16x 2680 v2 @ $170...decided not to be too aggressive with the best offer and it was accepted quickly. As to value, they're going into empty sockets in my case, not replacing v1's. Some other v2's might have somewhat better performance per $ when just considering the CPU, but I think the higher performing part gets the edge when considering the "real estate" it's occupying.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Just picked up 14... I think its a good deal at this price. Nice cpu's and this gen of tech will serve my needs for sometime.
wow...lol.. big order...

I just got 16x 2680 v2 @ $170...decided not to be too aggressive with the best offer and it was accepted quickly. As to value, they're going into empty sockets in my case, not replacing v1's. Some other v2's might have somewhat better performance per $ when just considering the CPU, but I think the higher performing part gets the edge when considering the "real estate" it's occupying.
i dont think there is any other "better deal" v2 cpu curently. 2660 v2 at $110 was a possble comparable or better deal but thats gone...

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
You seem quite provocative to me. Is there anything that made you feel upset?
Not particularly, but I don't appreciate people putting words into my mouth that I did not say. My original post was analytical and not particularly provocative in any way I can see. People are bringing their own problems, not me.