Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Hello, can someone link a good european motherboard or server case deal? Thanks. :)
I spent some time looking for dual 2011 motherboards in Europe on eBay some time ago, but couldn't find any cheaper than about €300, so I finally ended up ordering from Natex.us (see list of deals and discount codes in other thread). Even with toll and VAT added upon import it works out much cheaper in the end.
There may also be other US sellers willing to send to Europe.

It may be different if you're looking for single socket boards though. For instance there seemed to be a lot of X99 boards on sale, but I wanted more RAM slots and ECC RDIMM support so it wasn't an option for me.

Also, be careful of you think you find a good deal on Dell boards, as they use non-standard power supplies.

Reactions: _alex and xalyy

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
SINN78, It shows a left hand and a right hand SFF 8087 connector, easy then to work out what you have and order the other. Not necessary to be insulting.
I've noticed some folks want others to do their research for them and get testy if you just provide a pointer in the right direction. I had similar experience recently.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: heathen and pgh5278

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Anyone purchase a Intel P4216XXMHJC chassis (1200w 16 x 2.5" bays) or Intel P4216XXMHGC chassis (750w 16 x 2.5" bays) or 1200 watt PSU from kalleyomalley? If so, how much did you pay for them?

I'm considering purchasing one chassis and adding another 8 bay 2.5" to make 24 x 2.5" and running a 2nd tier storage with 24 x Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar 450GB HDDs $15.

I'm wondering whether I should go for a 1200w or 750w version as I plan to run a 40Gb NIC and 2 mid-high range RAID card or one RAID card with an expander.

Any suggestions which PSU I should go for or any links to a Intel Calculator?
Cheers

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
Anybody with a S2600CP board and P4000 (non-hotswap fan model) Intel chassis having trouble with PSU fan speeds going 100%?

My chassis fans were going 100% regardless of BIOS acoustic setting. I didn't think to clear CMOS settings, so I updated to 1.06.0001 (last one with blanket PCI-E 3.0 support according to another thread about NVME devices). No help, then finally remembered to clear CMOS.

Chassis fans now spin down, but now one of the two 750W PSU I have blows at 100% while the other seems to run slower (less airflow).

I might try updating to latest BIOS tomorrow when I get time, but I do want to keep PCI-E 3 for everything if I decide to stick a GPU in here.
Hey, how exactly do your clear the CMOS on this? Just received my 2600ip4, and man is this thing loud. Also, did you decide to stay with 1.06.0001 or did you upgrade to something later and give up PCIe3 ?

EDIT: I did the jumper trick, and the fans spun down for about 30 seconds but now they're going full blast again. Any ideas?

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hello, can someone link a good european motherboard or server case deal? Thanks. :)
there are nearly no good deals, just add shipping + about 20% customs to the U.S. Deals and decide if it's worth what you get. Dual 2011 boards are rare also in U.S., so combined offers like Case + Board (+ CPU + RAM + hba) can be interesting, too.
Always talk with the seller about Shipping, more than 180-200 USD for a 2U case is definitely too much.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Anyone purchase a Intel P4216XXMHJC chassis (1200w 16 x 2.5" bays) or Intel P4216XXMHGC chassis (750w 16 x 2.5" bays) or 1200 watt PSU from kalleyomalley? If so, how much did you pay for them?

I'm considering purchasing one chassis and adding another 8 bay 2.5" to make 24 x 2.5" and running a 2nd tier storage with 24 x Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar 450GB HDDs $15.

I'm wondering whether I should go for a 1200w or 750w version as I plan to run a 40Gb NIC and 2 mid-high range RAID card or one RAID card with an expander.

Any suggestions which PSU I should go for or any links to a Intel Calculator?
Cheers
I'm replying from my mobile but think I linked to the Intel power calc spreadsheet in this thread. It was located on the page with the support docs and downloads for the server systems. So shouldn't be that hard to find.

I don't have graphics cards in mine so max during start or stress testing was under 400w.

Reactions: Boddy

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Well, I just received my Intel R2312GL4GS Server System 2U Rack, Socket R, New Bulk Packaging , it certainly does have the RMM4 NIC and RMM4Lite module.

I also ordered Intel RMS25JB080 SG35851 Integrated RAID Module, New Bulk Packaging (they accepted a $30 offer after some haggling) which I plan on 'attempting' to flash the LSI 9207-8i IT FW. I also have a few other 8 port pcie SATA/SAS cards that I'll end up using if I find that the onboard SCU port doesn't work for my purposes. I currently have *zero* plans on chasing the RAID keys to unlock the 2nd SCU port.

Concerning the proprietary config of this Intel 2u chassis, I'm not complaining given the bargain basement surplus prices we've been paying. Note that the several 4u chassis (P4000M's) that I've built up are entirely *open* for upgradability when that need arises.

I am a bit miffed that my natex.us order for 2 cpus and ram is still pending for the past two days. I ordered those on the same day as the R2312GL4GS...
Sorry to revive this old post. I am currently have some issue with the R2312GL4GS.

I have the very same RMS25JB080 (B0 stepping) that I successfully flashed to LSI 9205-8e IT P20 firmware.
I found the onboard mini-SAS ports are not working. First I thought it was drives, but after I swapped drives around I found they were all working. Then I thought it could be the cable. I swapped the cables between the mezz Raid card and the onboard SAS port which showed the cables were all working. That leaves the SAS ports themselves. I tried both onboard SAS ports and nothing works. Besides, the HD LED at the right most column never lit, even when the drives were recognized under Linux.

I hope this is just some BIOS settings. I have updated the BIOS to 2.06.

Thanks

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
Wow, so to anyone with a S2600ip4 (or Intel p4000m)... the 5 redundant 80mm fans will go full throttle if you keep the side panel off. There must be some trigger in power management where they won't throttle down unless the panel is closed. I flashed 1.06.0001 BIOS with the same set of BMC/ME modules. Then I kept the same BIOS, and flashed the latest BMC/ME versions. Both of them exhibited 100% fan speed, which is LOUD. I was almost about to give up when I closed the panel, and within a couple seconds they slowed down.

I also successfully dropped from dual 1200W PSUs to dual 750W PSUs. Was simply sliding the power connection back into the chassis to fit the shorter length. Doing a memtest, but everything seems great so far.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Sorry to revive this old post. I am currently have some issue with the R2312GL4GS.

I have the very same RMS25JB080 (B0 stepping) that I successfully flashed to LSI 9205-8e IT P20 firmware.
I found the onboard mini-SAS ports are not working. First I thought it was drives, but after I swapped drives around I found they were all working. Then I thought it could be the cable. I swapped the cables between the mezz Raid card and the onboard SAS port which showed the cables were all working. That leaves the SAS ports themselves. I tried both onboard SAS ports and nothing works. Besides, the HD LED at the right most column never lit, even when the drives were recognized under Linux.

I hope this is just some BIOS settings. I have updated the BIOS to 2.06.

Thanks
Did the package include Intel RAID option? I think you need that to enable onboard mSAS ports. Besides, I think they may only be 3gbps from C602. I have IP4 and didn't bother with the onboard mSAS. Yours might be different. I'll check if those are active when I get a chance.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
That is standard operating procedure.

You triggered the Chassis Intrusion Switch ... if you want to run with the top/side panel removed, tape over the switch.

Chassis Intrusion.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: zackiv31

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I'm replying from my mobile but think I linked to the Intel power calc spreadsheet in this thread. It was located on the page with the support docs and downloads for the server systems. So shouldn't be that hard to find.

I don't have graphics cards in mine so max during start or stress testing was under 400w.

@nthu9280 Thanks for your valued feedback.
Re 400w usage: could you describe your build, e.g. 2 x 2670s, how many HDD/SDDs and expansion cards?
I'll do a search for your thread for Intel PSU calculator. Many thanks again. :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@nthu9280 Thanks for your valued feedback.
Re 400w usage: could you describe your build, e.g. 2 x 2670s, how many HDD/SDDs and expansion cards?
I'll do a search for your thread for Intel PSU calculator. Many thanks again. :)
Download P4000IP_P4300CR Power budget and thermal configuration tool

This link is for S2600IP4. This should give you very good estimate. I would think CP2J would be slightly less.

My systems have 2 HBAs, 1 Mellonox 10gb SFP+ single (idle, I don't have 10gb switch)
One has 8x3.5 and the other has 16x2.5. in the process of adding 8x2.5 in the 2x5.25 bays for both the systems.

Reactions: Boddy

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
I think I found the answer.
Looks like in order to enable the onboard mini-SAS port in SAS mode, we need the C600 upgrade key. Here is the official reference from Intel. From that article, it seems all the V1/V2 servers purchased from OEM XS, as well as the motherboard purchased from Natex, needs this key.

There are many variations currently offered at Oem XS. Anyone who has bought it before, and at what price, if you don't mind sharing?

I also found out the cause why the right most column of drive bays did not seem to light up the LED. The new HGST drives will have the LED lit up, but with HP branded HGST drives (with the exact same model but also with HP firmware), the LED will not light up.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
I think I found the answer.
Looks like in order to enable the onboard mini-SAS port in SAS mode, we need the C600 upgrade key. Here is the official reference from Intel. From that article, it seems all the V1/V2 servers purchased from OEM XS, as well as the motherboard purchased from Natex, needs this key.
On the S2600GL/GZ, the onboard SAS port1 is active without a key and should work (provided it's enabled in the BIOS, but off hand I don't remember the specific things that may need to be toggled on), however a key is required to unlock/activate the 2nd onboard SAS port. I had confirmed this when I initially received the system (SAS port 1 worked, SAS port 2 did not).