Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

theslim1

May 4, 2016
I've got some questions about modifying the SDR files on the Intel 2600CP board that is popular in this thread, if anyone wants to discuss i've started a side discussion over here. Please take a look if you would like to discuss custom fan profiles for this board.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hah! It was in the big plastic bag, I swear I emptied it out. Thanks!

As for the PSU, so I can just pull one out and just power up with one? How important is 16AWG, I only have 18AWG. Can I get any length? Any recommendations from where to buy a pair? Hopefully this doesn't blow up plugging it in without a CPU yet, just want to hear 1200w noise.

If I ever want to boot from PCIExpress... I read somewhere in this thread (it took 6 hours to read) that it may not be possible with later BIOS? So I lose PCI x3 if I upgrade, but I won't have quieter fans unless I don't upgrade?

Internal SAS, is that 6.0gbps? Just wondering because I Have the C600 upgrade kit

Intel® Server System P4216IP4LHJC Specifications

I have a 9201-16i and wondering if the internal SAS will perform the same. It must support as HBA (if it doesn't passthrough it's useless to me for zfs).

Thanks for all the help thus far, can't believe I hadn't heard of this forum until this week!
You should have received two power cords with the chassis use those.

You can run with one power supply. Till you update FRUSDR you will see amber warning light. You also need blank/filler or leave the the 2nd power supply pulled out couple of inches.

I did not bother with the Intel RAID unlock key. Currently using Dell H310 flashed in IT mode. I don't foresee any issues using 9201-16i.
If you got SAS with the mezzanine card - RMS25CB080, it is based on 2208 chip and can't be flashed to IT mode.

HTH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
You should have received two power cords with the chassis use those.
Didn't receive any of those, amazon it is.

You can run with one power supply. Till you update FRUSDR you will see amber warning light. You also need blank/filler or leave the the 2nd power supply pulled out couple of inches.
Not so use to these motherboards, I was only ever use to updating a BIOS. I feel like there are multiplethings to update, FRUSDR, BIOS (and a couple others). I don't think the RAID card matters to me, as explained in this KB article, I can't get PCIe Gen 3 unless I have any of these very specific combos:

PCIe* Gen 3 Adapter Support for Intel® Server Boards Product Families

I may need to buy a third party card, and I think it needs to support SAS v3 (9201-16i/e don't).

Or... I think I can not upgrade the BIOS above R01.06 and keep those speeds, although like I said before, not sure what I'm going to be missing out on.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you obtain this mezzanine card, RMS25JB080, it's based on the LSI2308 chip, which you *can* flash with LSI IT firmware... they've been excepting $30 offers. @nthu9280, you have one of these too, right?:
Intel RMS25JB080 SG35851 Integrated RAID Module, New Bulk Packaging
I was thinking about them but didn't get them. OEM XS had two listings one with -302 another -310 for these.
However after reviewing the Intel docs on the IP4 MB, I realized both SAS and IOM mezzanine connections are PCIe gen2. I think only benefit that module would get me is to free up a pci slot.

Just kept the RMS25KB080 B0 stepping cards.

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
For the dual units, are you guys seeing higher wattage usage when having both PSU's plugged in as opposed to one? I would only consider running both simultaneously if the power impact was negligible. I'm assuming that having both PSU's in and having one unplugged is the same as having only one in as well as getting a blank for the other slot? I don't want to have to buy a blank if I don't have to, and I'd love to be able to have both plugged in but only use the same power as one of them

Also, just how much louder are the 1200's over the 750s ? I can't decide whether to buy two 750's and replace these or to see if I can live with the 1200's. From what I can tell, the 1200's just have 2 of the mini fans while the 750's have one? Under light loads, it can't be *that* much louder can it?

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
However after reviewing the Intel docs on the IP4 MB, I realized both SAS and IOM mezzanine connections are PCIe gen2. I think only benefit that module would get me is to free up a pci slot.
Really? I don't have an IP4 board, however the SAS and IOM mezzanine ports on my S2600GL are 8x PCIe gen3.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
For the dual units, are you guys seeing higher wattage usage when having both PSU's plugged in as opposed to one? I would only consider running both simultaneously if the power impact was negligible. I'm assuming that having both PSU's in and having one unplugged is the same as having only one in as well as getting a blank for the other slot? I don't want to have to buy a blank if I don't have to, and I'd love to be able to have both plugged in but only use the same power as one of them

Also, just how much louder are the 1200's over the 750s ? I can't decide whether to buy two 750's and replace these or to see if I can live with the 1200's. From what I can tell, the 1200's just have 2 of the mini fans while the 750's have one? Under light loads, it can't be *that* much louder can it?
In my dual 750W system, the IPMI reports that PSU2 is using 4 watts, and PSU1 is carrying the full wattage load. So it does seem to be purely for redundancy with no load balancing. You can pull the other PSU, but it will complain that it's missing, although there may be a way to override the error

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
In my dual 750W system, the IPMI reports that PSU2 is using 4 watts, and PSU1 is carrying the full wattage load. So it does seem to be purely for redundancy with no load balancing. You can pull the other PSU, but it will complain that it's missing, although there may be a way to override the error
If you alter the system config such as removing a previously configured common redundant power supply (CRPS), you *need* to run through the FRU/SDR update. The same with a change in fan configuration or HSBP (hotswap back plane), etc. Anything that provides sensors to the BMC...

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Really? I don't have an IP4 board, however the SAS and IOM mezzanine ports on my S2600GL are 8x PCIe gen3.
Now I can't find where I saw the SAS module PCIe gen info.

Below is the screen shot of IO module connector. It's only Gen 1. Don't know if it can handle full 2 x 10GBE or QSFP.

upload_2016-5-18_15-40-52.png

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
For those folks, still looking for 750w PS, OEM XS have them again.
Intel FXX750PCRPS DPS-750XB A 750W Common Redundant Power Supply New System Pull
Yes, I asked them if they had any more and they listed them. They're accepting $20 offers again, just picked up two. Really love the communication of this seller!

Also, for anyone looking for memory, I just tried my luck with this seller, got 16 sticks at $9 a stick (first offer) Samsung 8GB PC3L-10600R 240-Pin DDR3 1333 Reg ECC Server Memory RAM

Shipping seems to be slow, as I won't get it until next week though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
Whoever bought the memory... does your tracking # work? I have one, but it's not showing up on UPS. Also the seller hasn't responded to my messages in almost 2 days.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
anyone know where i can find one of these that the circled part points in the other direction?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Dont you need a distributed board to get it work?
If you have the chassis with redundant power supply, the Power Distribution Board (PDB) is already there. Some folks were getting these to replace 1200/1600w or as a spare. OEM XS also have the PDB and the housing for redundant PS. The High Current PDB is compatible with 750/1200/1600W PS.
Higher wattage PS can be really annoying if the box is next to your desk as they have dual rotor fans.