Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Yes all the fan sockets use PWM, they are 6 pin sockets but are 4 pin compatible, plenty of spare sockets on the board. Have a good read through the thread re the FRUSTR updates, you need to tell the board which fans you are using otherwise it will set all fans to 100% as a failsafe (very loud!).

The Noctuas look great, although I would say they might be overkill unless you already have them to hand You can't overclock the Xeons and the T4s for me were much cheaper and keep the CPUs plenty cool enough without the fans having to spin up much even under full load all cores.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Yes all the fan sockets use PWM, they are 6 pin sockets but are 4 pin compatible, plenty of spare sockets on the board. Have a good read through the thread re the FRUSTR updates, you need to tell the board which fans you are using otherwise it will set all fans to 100% as a failsafe (very loud!).

The Noctuas look great, although I would say they might be overkill unless you already have them to hand You can't overclock the Xeons and the T4s for me were much cheaper and keep the CPUs plenty cool enough without the fans having to spin up much even under full load all cores.
Oh cool. The T4's work well? hmm. Maybe I'll get them then, makes the build cheaper.

Thanks. Will show pictures whenever i finish the build.

Reactions: Roy68

paul-home

May 3, 2016
Just a note to say thank you for the wealth of useful information in this thread. Before I found this site, I assumed I was the only person interested in having a proper server at home!

Oakdown

Apr 22, 2016
Ignore that last question I've got it sorted now, the graphics card worked as soon as I disabled VGA output in BIOS!
Hey Roy just got my 760 installed too, was odd the procedure for disabling the vga had to put legacy support on cpu2 and then it disabled - was surprised that it was just grayed out the whole time and didn't let me just toggle enable/disable - is that how your experience went? In any case the 760 boots up, but I miss some of the boot-up screens/info off the get-go that the onboard used to show.

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Hey Roy just got my 760 installed too, was odd the procedure for disabling the vga had to put legacy support on cpu2 and then it disabled - was surprised that it was just grayed out the whole time and didn't let me just toggle enable/disable - is that how your experience went? In any case the 760 boots up, but I miss some of the boot-up screens/info off the get-go that the onboard used to show.
Yes you're right that's exactly how it was, very strange way to enable/disable the onboard VGA, could have been much better documented in BIOS, I think that's one of the reasons it took me so long to figure it out!

Roy68

Apr 13, 2016
Just a note to anyone thinking about buying a budget GPU for a used E5-2670 system, hold your cash for a few weeks! NVIDIA is about to crash the market with GTX 1080/GTX1070 cards which apparently deliver much higher performance at around half the price of previous high end cards, available late May/early June. The used market should soon be awash with cheap Titans/GTX980s as gamers trade up.

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
Last edited:

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I am new to this forum. My status is total noob. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge in here.

I am thinking of building a server using the Natex E5-2670s, Intel 2600CP2J motherboard and 128GB RAM, and an Intel P4000 chassis. I have licenses for Win 2008 Server R2 and SBS 2011. The server will be in my home office, so I prefer it to be reasonably quiet, and ideally not a huge power pig. If all traffic goes through the server, there will not be more than a few active users at one time.

Needs
I need a solid system for on premises backup of a few computers. The reality is that all I really need is an external hard drive!

Wants
Home lab, to learn about servers, and to play with virtualization on the server, and the desktop
Explore Veeam and other backup solution
If possible, to utilize the power of the server in the dual role of also being a workstation
Server virtualization for both W2008 R2 and SBS 2011, and other things to play with such as pfsense, ubuntu or linux
Server function for storage, backups, WSUS, and possibly for media streaming

Questions
1. Is it feasible to have the server also used as a workstation? How can this be done? Using a thin client?
2. Is this hardware overkill? It looks like such a good deal, and I like the idea of not being constrained by RAM and cores.
3. Will this be too noisy to be in my home office?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Everyone should seriously avoid buying "enterprise" hardware from China. You have no idea what you get, there is a lot of fakes there which will cause you pain.
Yes... And I stand to be corrected but I look at a lot of Hynix and Samsung memory very often and I have never seen the chips arranged like that on a genuine dimm. It's certainly nothing like the HP / other OEM memory I have seen. (I see a large quantity of the same part no, probably not a wide variety though, still does not look right to me)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just ordered a low profile bracket for a IBM M1015 from China. Hope it's not a fake. :(

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
Yes... And I stand to be corrected but I look at a lot of Hynix and Samsung memory very often and I have never seen the chips arranged like that on a genuine dimm. It's certainly nothing like the HP / other OEM memory I have seen. (I see a large quantity of the same part no, probably not a wide variety though, still does not look right to me)
If you're referring to the ones Wooot posted, they look identical (to me) to the ones Natex has for sale here.