Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
http://puu.sh/nRjYA/bdf54fad06.png Just installed my 2 2670's and a gtx 670 and now stressing them :D
I tried to replace my current 4770K gaming rig with 2 2670's and a 980 Ti to no avail. I was pulling 50-80 frames less in some games and most of the time the CPU cores were not doing me any good. Game developers state their games will use as many cores as possible that's not the case usually. I'd be interesting in your findings as I couldn't figure out why my system was so much slower.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I tried to replace my current 4770K gaming rig with 2 2670's and a 980 Ti to no avail. I was pulling 50-80 frames less in some games and most of the time the CPU cores were not doing me any good. Game developers state their games will use as many cores as possible that's not the case usually. I'd be interesting in your findings as I couldn't figure out why my system was so much slower.
What things would you like me to test? I already tried a little battlefield 3 on ultra and that ran 120+ fps and so far the system is running really well and cinebench got 2000-ish on cpu and 67 fps on openGL

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
There are a decent number of video games that are actually GPU bound, and when you run into them, the CPU usage will be far lower.

Can you, list which games are "heavily CPU-based", "heavily GPU-based", or both? - Forums - PCPartPicker - not an "authoritative" source, I know...

JwTvH

Mar 10, 2016
4770K is a newer generation processor, and has higher clock rates. For most games this is more important that number of cores. Most desktops have 2 tot 4 cores so games are more optimized to run at that.

WoooT

Mar 25, 2016
Hi there folks!

So i have found to this wonderful thread and this magnificent cpu with a great price tag

So ive been looking for a new homeserver for a while
i wanted E3-1230 v3/v5 or something

I want to run Esxi with multiple VMs

Plex server 3-4 1080 transcode
ownclaod
Pfsense
Windows server with torrents
HTPC

On top of that i need 1 hdmi passthrough to one of the VMs so i can connect my tv

I just bought one E5-2670 SR0KX C2 thru ebay. good/bad model?
in short what kind of motherboard should i get? IPMI would be nice to have aswell :)

I was looking at Norco rpc-430 supershort 4u chassis

Edit: i cannot find any single cpu socket 2011 Supermicro in M-atx size

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Hi there folks!

So i have found to this wonderful thread and this magnificent cpu with a great price tag

So ive been looking for a new homeserver for a while
i wanted E3-1230 v3/v5 or something

ownclaod
Pfsense
HTPC

On top of that i need 1 hdmi passthrough to one of the VMs so i can connect my tv

I just bought one E5-2670 SR0KX C2 thru ebay. good/bad model?
in short what kind of motherboard should i get? IPMI would be nice to have aswell :)

I was looking at Norco rpc-430 supershort 4u chassis

Edit: i cannot find any single cpu socket 2011 Supermicro in M-atx size
There is a lot of RAM slot support and PCIe lanes for these chips plus the fact that socket 2011 is huge compared to others. I don't believe there are any MicroATX boards for this chip. My friend bought a Norco RPC-430 which is a short depth case but it can accommodate an ATX motherboard which you can find for this socket. He put a Supermicro X9SRL-F in it and it fits and functions very well.

Just be careful about heatsink height. My 4U Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 is too tall to fit in that case because of the hot-swap bays. My friend bought an active 2U cooler an that fit fine.

Last edited:

OliG

Feb 21, 2016

ownclaod
Pfsense
HTPC

Seems like a good plan, but be aware than you cannot use an ESXI host machine for any other tasks. I mean than if you intend to run the HTPC vm directly on host machine it wont work, ESXI can only be accessed remotely.

At least this was the case with the version I used some time ago, maybe it changed since...?

handruin

May 24, 2015
I purchased two of the Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W from the seller kalleyomalley on eBay and now that I'm trying to get an RMA/replacement on a defective PSU in one of the cases they've stopped replying to my messages from two days ago. Perhaps I should be more patient but their listing says 15 day warranty.

I wanted to be fair and update on my experience with buying this case from the eBay seller kalleyomalley. They ended up calling me and we talked for a bit about the issue I was having with the PSU/control board. After explaining it all they understood why I thought the issue was the power control module rather than the motherboard and they shipped me a new power control board immediately to replace the failed one. The board arrive early this morning via fedex and I installed it. The new part solved my issue.

My point of this is for anyone still interested in building a setup using these Intel cases if for some reason you have an issue with the parts, call them after opening a message through eBay. Their phone number is listed on their page and they were very helpful over the phone to help resolve my issue vs having me cross-ship the heavy case. The process took a while but they made it right.

Reactions: marcoi and Patrick

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I wanted to be fair and update on my experience with buying this case from the eBay seller kalleyomalley. They ended up calling me and we talked for a bit about the issue I was having with the PSU/control board. After explaining it all they understood why I thought the issue was the power control module rather than the motherboard and they shipped me a new power control board immediately to replace the failed one. The board arrive early this morning via fedex and I installed it. The new part solved my issue.

My point of this is for anyone still interested in building a setup using these Intel cases if for some reason you have an issue with the parts, call them after opening a message through eBay. Their phone number is listed on their page and they were very helpful over the phone to help resolve my issue vs having me cross-ship the heavy case. The process took a while but they made it right.
I second that. They were prompt in shipping me the front panel FRU board and cable. Hopefully it will be here today and that will solve my FRUSDR update issue. Otherwise I need to RMA the NATEX mother board which I'm not looking forward to.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Hi,
have been reading 10-15 pages of this thread today. I have couple of questions:
1. It seems Intel 4U chassis support rackmount, but i can't see any rails mounting places on any of the images. Where do we get both the inner and outer rails for these for cheap money? I'm consideringering these as alternative to SuperMicro chassis that are way more expensive.
2.Does the Intel 4U chassis only support Intel server boards and not SuperMicro/Tyan etc?
3. The Intel Xeon E5-2670 prices have dropped significantly...Does this look like a good deal and does anyone have any experience with this seller? Wondering if they are good/clean pull and work stable.
I need it for KVM/Qemu virtualization: Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.60 Ghz 20 Mb 8-Core CPU Processor SR0H8 115W

Thanks and this looks like a very good forum!

Thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, I spent some time reading through Intel's tech product spec documents. Pay attention to the chassis product code section in the first document:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...erver/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

I'd just built my first system using the P4000M chassis with 8x3.5", 2x120mm fixed fans, and 550watt PS a few days ago and everything went smoothly. All the items from the ebay seller had been shipped quickly (they're in NH, I'm in MN), and was exactly as described (NIB). So I dove in on the other chassis (which they accepted a lower offer than my first), and will be building out a second one.

Here are some pics of the build:
https://goo.gl/photos/7ar7vQCLst26Rh2X6
https://goo.gl/photos/oYi3AM7KtNj7q8wJ7
https://goo.gl/photos/xVKUiLVY7t54eYva8

Regards,
Jake

handruin

May 24, 2015
Hi,
1. It seems Intel 4U chassis support rackmount, but i can't see any rails mounting places on any of the images. Where do we get both the inner and outer rails for these for cheap money? I'm consideringering these as alternative to SuperMicro chassis that are way more expensive.
2.Does the Intel 4U chassis only support Intel server boards and not SuperMicro/Tyan etc?
3. The Intel Xeon E5-2670 prices have dropped significantly...Does this look like a good deal and does anyone have any experience with this seller? Wondering if they are good/clean pull and work stable.
I need it for KVM/Qemu virtualization: Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.60 Ghz 20 Mb 8-Core CPU Processor SR0H8 115W

There are rail mounts exposed on the bottom of the case and for the top there is a plastic panel that pops off exposing the other set of rail mounts.

I also looked for inexpensive rails for these cases and only found the Intel rail kit for nearly as much as I paid for the entire case so I didn't continue to look.

I can't say 100% but my feeling is the Intel cases are gear specially for certain Intel motherboards. The use of a Supermicro may work but I wouldn't guarantee it. The PSU that comes with the case is meant to work with the requirements for Intel boards as well as the cooling and duct work.

You should investigate more on the CPU stepping. The one's listed by that ebay seller are SR0H8 vs the ones from Natex.us are SR0KX (@ $65). I can't speak to all the reasons why you might want one over the other, but I'd suggest you start looking to make sure either meet the goals you're trying to accomplish.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@fossxplorer -
The processor you linked does not do VT-d. Look for SR0KX.
natex.us has posted couple of offers / combos under FS section of the forum.
I got MB + 2CPUs from them as I already have the RAM. Many of the forum members here bought from them as well.

Look for Intel configuration & spare parts document for P4000M. It has the part #s for the rails.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
There are rail mounts exposed on the bottom of the case and for the top there is a plastic panel that pops off exposing the other set of rail mounts.

I also looked for inexpensive rails for these cases and only found the Intel rail kit for nearly as much as I paid for the entire case so I didn't continue to look.

I can't say 100% but my feeling is the Intel cases are gear specially for certain Intel motherboards. The use of a Supermicro may work but I wouldn't guarantee it. The PSU that comes with the case is meant to work with the requirements for Intel boards as well as the cooling and duct work.

You should investigate more on the CPU stepping. The one's listed by that ebay seller are SR0H8 vs the ones from Natex.us are SR0KX (@ $65). I can't speak to all the reasons why you might want one over the other, but I'd suggest you start looking to make sure either meet the goals you're trying to accomplish.
I attempted to use a Supermicro case (CSE-836) with the S2600CP board and had to give up. The problem isn't that the mounting holes don't work or anything its that the sockets for the power are really at the extremes of the board and you end up being about 2 inches short.

Going to make a custom acrylic case and see how that goes.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Hi,

As handruin said earlier, there is a rail kit for it and mounts already on the chassis. I purchased the following rail kit from the same seller and it works great. They're asking $70, I offered $20 and it was accepted right away so there might be room to go lower.
Intel AXX3U5UPRAIL Advanced Rail Kit For Server Chassis P4000 New Bulk Packaging

I received my case before my combo came in from Natex and had another board sitting in without issue. It was an older Intel server board, forget the model number right now but it fit without issue and powered up just fine. There are cable kits for the case from Intel that the same seller also has. You can get longer cables and GPU power cables if you need them. There's a ton of options for the case.

WoooT

Mar 25, 2016
Seems like a good plan, but be aware than you cannot use an ESXI host machine for any other tasks. I mean than if you intend to run the HTPC vm directly on host machine it wont work, ESXI can only be accessed remotely.

At least this was the case with the version I used some time ago, maybe it changed since...?
Nope esxi hypervisor is bare metal and we don't do consoles like that. it's remote as stated above

So you mean running one of the VMs as HTPC connected to my TV is not possible??, ive read on some other forums people running ESXI with a gfx passthrought.