Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
does the P4308XXMFGN chasis hold standard SSI EEB boards? 12"x13"? Does it come with standard ATX power supplies or something else?
I'm not in front of a computer but there was a link to Intel docs few pages ago in this thread @jwegman Or you can search on Intel support site for Technical Product Spec P4000M family

It has description / nomenclature for various power supply / fan configurations.

'M' Medium - can accommodate SSI EEB
'GN' I believe is 750W single hotswap power supply.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
does the P4308XXMFGN chasis hold standard SSI EEB boards? 12"x13"? Does it come with standard ATX power supplies or something else?
It definitely is not a standard ATX power supply in form factor. Seems to be a rack mount form factor supply. The narrow, thin, and long variety. The connectors are the typical, minus any 6 or 8 pin PCIe connectors for graphics cards.

Reactions: bmacklin

handruin

May 24, 2015
According to the Technical Product Spec the PWM offset doesn't do anything except when Quiet Fan Idle Mode is turned on. I haven't messed with it much, but it was set to 100% when I got the board and turning it to 0 didn't change anything with regard to fan RPM that I saw.

The Intel board uses a closed loop thermal control for each cooling domain. Meaning it allows temps to rise to a certain point, and then will take action to stop them from rising further. This is the first motherboard I've ever used that does that. Maybe it's normal for enterprise / server stuff. I've had very little exposure to it so I can't really say.

There is a baseline fan idle speed that is chosen based on the ambient temperature, altitude setting, and whether you picked Acoustic or Performance in the BIOS. The max temp it will let a cooling domain rise to is set by thermal margin clamp values. You can "hack" the .SDR file to control both idle fan speed and the clamp values. I lowered certain thermal clamp values by 15C and now it stays in the mid 60's instead of the low 80's. I left the idle alone since it's running pretty close to the minimum PWM already and my basement is even cooler than where I was testing.

I will probably lower the thermal margins by another 5C, replace the thermal compound with some top tier non metal stuff (Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut), and make sure the heatsinks are actually flat and smooth on the bottom and run it like that for a while.

I thought I remember seeing an option to change the cooling to something other than a closed loop from within the BIOS menus. I'll have to check when I get home to see what the other options are.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
I thought I remember seeing an option to change the cooling to something other than a closed loop from within the BIOS menus. I'll have to check when I get home to see what the other options are.
I think that you are referring to the Memory Thermal Throttling mechanism of which there are 4 choices (depends on the sensors in the system, everyone with the P4000 chassis and S2600CP board, and I'd hazard to guess most dimms that people are currently using, will use the Auto mode whcih should operate in DCLTT mode):
- Auto
BIOS automatically detect and identify the appropriate thermal throttling mechanism based on DIMM type, airflow input, and DIMM sensor availability
- DCLTT
Dynamic Closed Loop Thermal Throttling: for the SOD DIMM with system airflow input
- SCLTT
Static Close Loop Thermal Throttling: for the SOD DIMM without system airflow input
- SOLTT
Static Open Loop Thermal Throttling: for the DIMMs without sensor on DIMM (SOD)

Reactions: handruin

handruin

May 24, 2015
I think that you are referring to the Memory Thermal Throttling mechanism of which there are 4 choices (depends on the sensors in the system, everyone with the P4000 chassis and S2600CP board, and I'd hazard to guess most dimms that people are currently using, will use the Auto mode whcih should operate in DCLTT mode):
- Auto
BIOS automatically detect and identify the appropriate thermal throttling mechanism based on DIMM type, airflow input, and DIMM sensor availability
- DCLTT
Dynamic Closed Loop Thermal Throttling: for the SOD DIMM with system airflow input
- SCLTT
Static Close Loop Thermal Throttling: for the SOD DIMM without system airflow input
- SOLTT
Static Open Loop Thermal Throttling: for the DIMMs without sensor on DIMM (SOD)

Yup, those are the settings I remember seeing. Thanks for clarifying.

handruin

May 24, 2015
I purchased two of the Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W from the seller kalleyomalley on eBay and now that I'm trying to get an RMA/replacement on a defective PSU in one of the cases they've stopped replying to my messages from two days ago. Perhaps I should be more patient but their listing says 15 day warranty.
After a few days and the seller has responded to me and immediately sent me another PSU module even though I told them that the hot swapable PSU wasn't the issue. Just to be sure I tried it and it didn't help because I still get a 1-5-4-4 beep code and the motherboard never posts but I know it works because I've stress tested it in the other case for over a day.

I'm pretty certain the reason the Intel motherboard gives me beep error codes is due to this module called the Intel CPU Power Board G15585-401. I've seen one on eBay that I think is right in case the seller won't help make this right for me.

20160322_224152.jpg 20160322_224210.jpg

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
so i cant access bmc webpage anymore from my s2600cp motherboard. I've tried re-installing latest bios. changing the ip within bios for bmc. I removed the rmm lite chip. originally my issue was remote kvm was giving me a socket error so in effort to troubleshoot that i must broke bmc. i cleared the MB bios and still nothing. so not sure what to do next.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Anyone bought a Intel S2600CP2J motherboard from Natex.
Could you confirm whether the motherboard came with Li-Ion battery installed?
(for freight forwarding purposes)
Many Thanks

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Many Thanks
I have purchased that motherboard from Natex, and yes, it came with the CMOS battery installed. If that makes shipping more difficult for you, just call and ask them not to send it. Enjoy your new hardware when it arrives :)

Reactions: Boddy

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Many Thanks
It's not a Lithium-Ion battery. It's a lithium primary battery. It's the same type of battery found in wrist watches.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
so i cant access bmc webpage anymore from my s2600cp motherboard. I've tried re-installing latest bios. changing the ip within bios for bmc. I removed the rmm lite chip. originally my issue was remote kvm was giving me a socket error so in effort to troubleshoot that i must broke bmc. i cleared the MB bios and still nothing. so not sure what to do next.
Are you sure it's on the IP you think it is? Have you checked your DHCP server to make sure it hasn't pulled another IP?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Are you sure it's on the IP you think it is? Have you checked your DHCP server to make sure it hasn't pulled another IP?
yeah, i have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it now and went into the bios changing the various bmc settings. I can ping the ip set for it fine. When i try to access the url i get refused to connect message. So some setting i changed while trying to get java kvm working broke bmc. i need to know how to specifically reset settings saved for the bmc.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you using HTTPS? Some BMC's will not connect via HTTP and give a connection refused message.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
i tried both http and https. I can access the bmc via ipmi tools but not the web interface :(
Check if the NICs are enabled in BIOS.

Another item to check / add exception in the browser for Certificate issue. I presume you have already done that.

My issue was slightly different. I was able to connect to BMC thru browser but ESXi complained there were NICs present. Somewhere in the BIOS upgrade process, the onboard NICs were disabled. Since I was able to connect thru BMC I never suspected that NICs were disabled.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I have purchased that motherboard from Natex, and yes, it came with the CMOS battery installed. If that makes shipping more difficult for you, just call and ask them not to send it. Enjoy your new hardware when it arrives :)
Many thanks @rubylaser for your feedback. Much appreciated! Very handy to know when doing overseas shipping and have to fill a customs declaration. Most of the hardware is for a future project, but I may just get together that home server I always wanted! Thanks again.