Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
So I've been looking around and looks like the Supermicro boards are SFF-8087 Mini-SAS connections. Bare with me, I haven't touched SAS until this board. I've read a post to get quality cables at-least when it comes to this, so HP/DELL etc part #'s, will that be fine as long as it's 8087 Mini-SAS? I don't wanna deal with cheaply made cables at this point... maybe I don't have to worry about it.

Reason being... I didn't realize how fast I'm filling up my CSE-825 chassis :p

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Dav I am interested to hear your results (maybe in a DIY build forum thread). I think you will be fine cooling wise with what you have. Those are very large coolers/ fans. The E5-2670 V1 is only a 115w TDP processor. If you look at a stock Intel cooler used for 90w+ LGA115x processors which is fairly quiet, the coolers you have are several times the size.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Has anyone managed to quiet down the 750 redundant PSU in P4216XXMHGR? The two chassis fans are now within reasonable sound levels but the PSU fans are still spinning at 100%. When I update FRUSDR it does pick up both power supplies.

Feb 8, 2016
max throttle via bios fan settings. Did set both fans at 100%
haven't done any stress testing yet, will as soon my disks arrive but reading your data mine will probably be in the 80C range

should go with a cooler master as someone suggested here, i stink choosing a decent cpu fan, but dammit thy should at least be better that Intels termal solution
Chose the below because it looked OK , others seemed to like it and it is 30 dollars.
61C, prime95 small FFT, 1180RPM CPU fan. Idle 34C (CPUID HWMonitor package temps, the CPU core temps are lower, standard fan profile, X9SRA, e5-2670)
CM Hyper EVO 212, medium polish (stock finish was rough), cheap startech.com SILVGREASE1 paste

Attachments

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
first glance in bios, on max throttle it gets to about 45C ; weird tho cpu fans are very cool on touch

shouldn't skimp on fans, i never learn

If it was an airflow problem your heat sinks would be warm to the touch (i.e. unable to dump heat into the air). This sounds like you have a contact or conduction problem between the IHS and the heat sink. What did you use for thermal paste and how did you apply?

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Has anyone managed to quiet down the 750 redundant PSU in P4216XXMHGR? The two chassis fans are now within reasonable sound levels but the PSU fans are still spinning at 100%. When I update FRUSDR it does pick up both power supplies.
Do you have the PMBus lead from the the PDB (Power Distribution Board) connected to the PMBus header on the motherboard?

If you check the BMC Web console's Server Health -> Sensor Readings; what are your PS1|2 Temperature readings? Also, are the PS1|2 Fan Fail sensors asserted?

I'm wondering if the issue isn't with the chassis or power supplies (which should have been NIB), rather than with the used mobo's BMC hardware?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Something must be wrong. Mine only spins up full immediately after power on before the BMC takes control and quiets it down.

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
@Dav I am interested to hear your results (maybe in a DIY build forum thread)..
What did you use for thermal paste and how did you apply?
well i did reapply a new thermal compound ( Titan Nano Grease) and the temps did drop by about 5 degrees in Bios (to 45C on idle)

now here is the weird part: after installing the system both Real Temp and Asus IPMI show completely different temp numbers
With Prime 95 test cpus don't go above 56C while on idle the temps show about 30 degrees

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Something must be wrong. Mine only spins up full immediately after power on before the BMC takes control and quiets it down.
Well I feel like a moron. PSU 1 wasn't seated fully. Things are much quieter now.

But now the system fans don't ramp up under load. The CPUs hit 80C and throttle down from 3000MHz to 2800, and the fans are still spinning at ~3k RPM. I have the acoustic/performance settings on Performance, throttling set to Auto, silent mode off, PWM offset at 25.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Is there anyone in this thread with a p4000 chassis that doesnt use the 5.25 bays and would like to sell the brackets? I want to watercool the chassis and I already have a bay reservoir. The only way of buying that bracket is getting the Intel FUPMMSK Chassis Mechnical Maintenance Kit from America but that would cost around 100 euro's. If anyone is willing to sell me 2 or 4 of those brackets please send me a pm.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Is there anyone in this thread with a p4000 chassis that doesnt use the 5.25 bays and would like to sell the brackets? I want to watercool the chassis and I already have a bay reservoir. The only way of buying that bracket is getting the Intel FUPMMSK Chassis Mechnical Maintenance Kit from America but that would cost around 100 euro's. If anyone is willing to sell me 2 or 4 of those brackets please send me a pm.
Are you talking about the inserts that go in the sides of 5.25" devices to snap them in? If so yeah I have a pair I can send you. No idea what shipping would be like though. Probably like $15-20

Reactions: legopc

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Well I feel like a moron. PSU 1 wasn't seated fully. Things are much quieter now.

But now the system fans don't ramp up under load. The CPUs hit 80C and throttle down from 3000MHz to 2800, and the fans are still spinning at ~3k RPM. I have the acoustic/performance settings on Performance, throttling set to Auto, silent mode off, PWM offset at 25.
What chassis fans do you have that spin at ~3k? Are they are the 5x80mm redundant fans? I ask, as I haven't seen either of my two chassis (both with the fixed 2x120mm fixed fans) spin faster than 2150rpm at full CPU load with mprime (linux version of prime95). At that RPM, the chassis airflow sensor is reading ~105cfm and my CPUs are at ~75C . The FANS will ramp up to maintain the ~18-20% CPU thermal margin.

I suppose the PWM fan offset at 25 that would explain the elevated fan RPM if you had the 2x120mm fixed fans...

Do you have the altitude setting set correctly for your environment (same BIOS settings page as the PWM fan offset and fan profile mode)?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
According to the Technical Product Spec the PWM offset doesn't do anything except when Quiet Fan Idle Mode is turned on. I haven't messed with it much, but it was set to 100% when I got the board and turning it to 0 didn't change anything with regard to fan RPM that I saw.

The Intel board uses a closed loop thermal control for each cooling domain. Meaning it allows temps to rise to a certain point, and then will take action to stop them from rising further. This is the first motherboard I've ever used that does that. Maybe it's normal for enterprise / server stuff. I've had very little exposure to it so I can't really say.

There is a baseline fan idle speed that is chosen based on the ambient temperature, altitude setting, and whether you picked Acoustic or Performance in the BIOS. The max temp it will let a cooling domain rise to is set by thermal margin clamp values. You can "hack" the .SDR file to control both idle fan speed and the clamp values. I lowered certain thermal clamp values by 15C and now it stays in the mid 60's instead of the low 80's. I left the idle alone since it's running pretty close to the minimum PWM already and my basement is even cooler than where I was testing.

I will probably lower the thermal margins by another 5C, replace the thermal compound with some top tier non metal stuff (Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut), and make sure the heatsinks are actually flat and smooth on the bottom and run it like that for a while.

Reactions: jwegman

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
According to the Technical Product Spec the PWM offset doesn't do anything except when Quiet Fan Idle Mode is turned on. I haven't messed with it much, but it was set to 100% when I got the board and turning it to 0 didn't change anything with regard to fan RPM that I saw.

The Intel board uses a closed loop thermal control for each cooling domain. Meaning it allows temps to rise to a certain point, and then will take action to stop them from rising further. This is the first motherboard I've ever used that does that. Maybe it's normal for enterprise / server stuff. I've had very little exposure to it so I can't really say.

There is a baseline fan idle speed that is chosen based on the ambient temperature, altitude setting, and whether you picked Acoustic or Performance in the BIOS. The max temp it will let a cooling domain rise to is set by thermal margin clamp values. You can "hack" the .SDR file to control both idle fan speed and the clamp values. I lowered certain thermal clamp values by 15C and now it stays in the mid 60's instead of the low 80's. I left the idle alone since it's running pretty close to the minimum PWM already and my basement is even cooler than where I was testing.

I will probably lower the thermal margins by another 5C, replace the thermal compound with some top tier non metal stuff (Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut), and make sure the heatsinks are actually flat and smooth on the bottom and run it like that for a while.
What do you mean by 'hack' the .SDR? I'm assuming this is different from running UpdateFRUSDR.nsh?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
What do you mean by 'hack' the .SDR? I'm assuming this is different from running UpdateFRUSDR.nsh?
There's a S2600CP.sdr file on your USB flash drive right? Open it with a text editor and you'll see you can read the file. It's big & overwhelming, but it's plain text and commented. You can edit the file, save it, and then re-run UpdateFRUSDR.nsh to change the behavior of the fans.

Figuring out what lines to change is the tricky part.

Reactions: dstanding

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
To change the load temps go to the Global Stepwise and Global Clamp Headers section of the file.

There are sections like this:
Code:
   // Global Clamp Header Record
   74             // Clamp Header ID
   74             // Temperature Sensor Number -- (P1 Therm Margin)
   00             // Entity Presence Sensor Number -- (NA)
   64             // Sensor Disabled Control Value
   64             // Sensor Fail Control Value
   64             // Sensor Unavailable Control Value
   00             // Sleep Control Value
   28             // Sleep State and Hysteresis [7:6]-Supported in S1 (1=yes); [5:3]-Negative Hysteresis = 5; [2:0]-Positive Hysteresis = 0
   40             // Clamp Control Coefficient LSB
   00             // Clamp Control Coefficient MSB
   FC             // Temperature (FCh = -4 degree C)
   01             // Clamp Flags [7:4] - CPU Number = 0; [3:1] - Reserved=0; [0] - Temp Source = 1 (use TControl)
You want to change the FC // Temperature (FCh = -4 degree C) line. The temperature value is signed two's complement. So if you want to lower the temps by 15C, you'll want to change it to -19C. -19C in signed two's complement is ED.

I lowered each of these by 15C from their respective starting value:
P1 Therm Margin
P2 Therm Margin
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 1
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 2
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 3
DIMM Thrm Mrgn 4
P1 DTS Therm Mgn
P2 DTS Therm Mgn

There are two Global Clamp Header Records for P1 Therm Margin & P2 Therm Margin. I changed both.

Reactions: dstanding

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
does the P4308XXMFGN chasis hold standard SSI EEB boards? 12"x13"? Does it come with standard ATX power supplies or something else?