Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I've heard that SM has great support but honestly I just don't want to deal with it at this point. The pricing for these boards is pretty 'premium' to the point where honestly I feel like it's just not something I should have to put up with. The reason I wouldn't even ask for 50% off is because I would not willingly pay for a board with bent pins anyway. I'm actually considering just asking for more replacements because the JBOD honestly fits my needs perfectly and so far they've been okay to work with.

I'm starting to wonder if the sockets/boards are mishandled prior to being boxed because the seller did send them with heatsinks attached to the sockets this time, however, it did not prevent the issue. If you have trembling fingers when handling small objects I could see someone accidentally dropping a corner of a chip into a socket and just being like 'pfft' and sending it on its way.

As for the courier, they're using UPS.

Ignore the question I had about the cisco image, it went away when I updated BIOS.

Just wanted to chime in as well, when setting the fans to PUE mode in an 836 chassis, this thing is unbelievably quiet with 501W platinum-rated PSUs, non-SQ version.

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Seriously? After JUST having returns for crappy packaging, they turn around and do it again?! Guess I have a seller to add to my blacklist.
It's kind of funny you say that because the ebay manager blamed the shipping guy for the issue and then he himself boxed these up practically the same way the other guy did.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The only reason I brought it up is that you may get them for less $ overall if you get a % refund and get them fixed, but I do understand not wanting to deal with it!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Just wanted to chime in with some temps. Interestingly enough with both cores completely maxed out at 100% across all 32 threads running intelburntest I don't see temps over 58 and 60c for each CPU, with fans set to PUE. The 836 I think utilizes 80mm fans and the heatsink I'm using is the 2U active heatsink. No air shroud. This is dual E5-2670s.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Geeez, the price of the X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD has gone thru the roof. Jan 21 I paid $195 for one. Can't touch one now for that.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Geeez, the price of the X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD has gone thru the roof. Jan 21 I paid $195 for one. Can't touch one now for that.
I wouldn't exactly say it's gone through the roof, those 195 deals were very limited quantity and auctions that sometimes people didn't bid on. Comp-tec sold me mine for 205 a piece. The guy selling them for 399 has had them at that price for a while, there are some sellers every now and then who list for high prices and they tend to not move many.

Last edited:

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Just wanted to chime in with some temps. Interestingly enough with both cores completely maxed out at 100% across all 32 threads running intelburntest I don't see temps over 58 and 60c for each CPU, with fans set to PUE. The 836 I think utilizes 80mm fans and the heatsink I'm using is the 2U active heatsink. No air shroud. This is dual E5-2670s.
Which cooler are you using?

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
seams like many are experiencing problems with Supermicro boards, was looking at X9DRL-iF and some have issues booting that thing

not sure if i should get a used one or not now:(

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
SNK-P0048AP4
Does that really fit into the SC836? Isn't the SC836 a 3U chassis and the SNK-P0048AP4 a 4U (active) heatsink!? o_O

EDIT: Sorry - forget about it! For any reason I've mixed up the SNK-P0048AP4 (2U+) and the SNK-P0050AP4 (4U) :confused:

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Does anyone know if EE-ATX boards fit into the SC836 (older revision) chassis?
[EE-ATX with dimensions of 13.68" x 13" (34.7cm x 33cm) which seems to be the max. physical dimension according to the SC836 product page...makes me a little bit cautious]

ItsChrisG

Feb 3, 2015
seams like many are experiencing problems with Supermicro boards, was looking at X9DRL-iF and some have issues booting that thing

not sure if i should get a used one or not now:(
Theres nothing wrong with Supermicro boards in any way related to Supermicro themselves... You can't lump shipping damage and a possibly careless seller into any qualitative definition of SM...

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Theres nothing wrong with Supermicro boards in any way related to Supermicro themselves... You can't lump shipping damage and a possibly careless seller into any qualitative definition of SM...
Agreed, so far of the one board out of 2 "in-tact" boards I've tested so far it seems to be fine. The feature-set in the IPMI of the X9D boards is far more rich than the Tyan IPMI I was using, not to mention it has quieter fan profiles and all solid capacitors as opposed to solids + electrolytic caps.

Havs

Sep 23, 2015
Coming from my limited number of purchases, I've noticed some pretty horrible packaging. I bought a bare-bones server and a motherboard for the 2670's I bought. The motherboard came in plain ol' bubble wrap with nothing to support it in terms of rigidity.
In regards to the server I bought, it's a wonder it even booted up. The box it came in was partially torn open, and styrofoam peanuts were blowing all over my yard. I opened it up, and once again it was wrapped just in bubble wrap. The jiggling of the peanuts during shipping must've built up a boatload of static electricity, because the wrap was just coursing with it. Peanuts were completely clung to it. I put on a grounding strap, and carefully wiped off the static as best I could. Each layer of bubble wrap I undid caused a new buildup of static. I'm hoping the wrap acted as an insulator, but even if it did, I highly doubt it was wrapped in ESD safe conditions.
From my experience with resellers, I wouldn't be surprised if ESD damage is commonplace. It's the kind of problem that creeps up on you as well; not all ESD damage is immediate, and if it makes it past 30'ish days, the seller is off the hook. That's aside from the physical damage that seems common as well. Has anyone run into sellers that look like they actually care about ESD? I'm guessing most don't. Since it's used equipment they probably just want to get them out the door as fast as possible.

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
Coming from my limited number of purchases, I've noticed some pretty horrible packaging. I bought a bare-bones server and a motherboard for the 2670's I bought. The motherboard came in plain ol' bubble wrap with nothing to support it in terms of rigidity.
In regards to the server I bought, it's a wonder it even booted up. The box it came in was partially torn open, and styrofoam peanuts were blowing all over my yard. I opened it up, and once again it was wrapped just in bubble wrap. The jiggling of the peanuts during shipping must've built up a boatload of static electricity, because the wrap was just coursing with it. Peanuts were completely clung to it. I put on a grounding strap, and carefully wiped off the static as best I could. Each layer of bubble wrap I undid caused a new buildup of static. I'm hoping the wrap acted as an insulator, but even if it did, I highly doubt it was wrapped in ESD safe conditions.
From my experience with resellers, I wouldn't be surprised if ESD damage is commonplace. It's the kind of problem that creeps up on you as well; not all ESD damage is immediate, and if it makes it past 30'ish days, the seller is off the hook. That's aside from the physical damage that seems common as well. Has anyone run into sellers that look like they actually care about ESD? I'm guessing most don't. Since it's used equipment they probably just want to get them out the door as fast as possible.
That's why I purchased a new X9SRL-F from tm_space. Price wasn't much more than used, and the board came in an ESD back with the socket cover. My RAM from cardiocomputingllc2015 was in individual ESD bags and wrapped in bubble wrap. CPUs from deepdiscountservers were packed that way as well. All I can suggest is leaving negative feedback for sellers who do a crappy job of packaging.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Has anyone run into sellers that look like they actually care about ESD? I'm guessing most don't. Since it's used equipment they probably just want to get them out the door as fast as possible.
I absolutely use original mobo ESD bags when I ship mobo's and orig packaging w/ an overzealous attitude when I pack gear for members here and really anytime I ship IT-gear. I think it's pretty weak as some other have suggested that $300-400 mobo's are coming in such lame shipping conditions. I mean it ain't free but spending $10 on 'proper' packing materials to ensure the items get's there in good condition regardless if the shipper didn't exactly treat it well (imagine the sheer volume, they can't all be babied) and that is why it is up to the shipper to guarantee they are packed well. I got my X9SRL-F from newegg (2nd one, first one was lucky enough to get to me in one piece) and it was packed w/ 4 air pocket packs. NOTHING on bottom side and one edge but 1/8 inch cardboard. BEAT TO HELL

~SMH

RMA (10 days later, wtf!) did however have 6 bubble pockets in it (AMAZING/no shame) even after I b|tched up a storm and had all sorts of shipping warehouse managers ASSURE me the RMA mobo would be packed well. It was snugger/tighter but still no padding on bottom and one edge...they suck...yeah never again!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
All my motherboards from ebay sellers have ALWAYS come in the anti-static mylar bags, numerous bubble wrapped and if multiple in one box then cardboard in between and often braced edges/sides/top too.

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
Almost went ahead and bought everything off eBay, but realized the mobo was SSI-EEB instead of ATX/E-ATX. Hopefully something reasonable pops up soon.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone know if EE-ATX boards fit into the SC836 (older revision) chassis?
[EE-ATX with dimensions of 13.68" x 13" (34.7cm x 33cm) which seems to be the max. physical dimension according to the SC836 product page...makes me a little bit cautious]
I think you'll be pushing it, I'm not sure which revision of the 836 I have but I honestly don't think it could anything more than 12x13.