Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
@alex1002 seller don't fully test w/all RAM slots... damaged in shipping (i'd be curious to know WHAT exactly is going wrong that they're all having the same problem), or they were used+decom & sold but never with RAM in the slots that don't work??
In my case, it was wedged in a box at about a 30 degree angle, with two pretty hefty heatsinks strapped to it. A few drops during shipping would have probably put quite a bit of stress on the PCB. Right in the middle of those two heatsinks is the DIMM slot that's bad. Might just be a coincidence though...

williedee

Jan 25, 2016
I'd love to rebuild my homelab server with one of these processors but I just don't want to spend $270+ on an X9SRL-F. Is there any other motherboard I might be missing in my search for something that can hold 8 RDIMM's? Thanks guy, this site is great!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
@alex1002 seller don't fully test w/all RAM slots... damaged in shipping (i'd be curious to know WHAT exactly is going wrong that they're all having the same problem), or they were used+decom & sold but never with RAM in the slots that don't work??
Mine is a brand new X9SRL-F, and I was having B7 errors as well, so it's not just old boards.

Also, I have Windows 10 on this setup right now and I can't get it to power off or restart without pressing the power button in (I've tried disabling fast startup and that didn't help).

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If you guys are wanting new boards I'd check out the Tyan S7050GM4NR from seller, convertechsmike, they seem to go for around 225-250 OBO, I think I got all mine for 185/ea for 5. I actually bought these boards first before I even noticed deals on SM boards. I have tested one and after updating the BIOS and BMC/IPMI the fan speed is actually pretty decent, using it in an SC836 chassis. Has 10 Sata ports on board as well.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
err, pardon me if my ignorance is showing but an x5650 is not a 12 core / 24 thread cpu.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Supermicro X9SRL-F, bios v3.2, CPU power settings at "Energy Efficient"
Server 2012R2, "Balanced" power settings
E5-2670 SR0KX
HWiNFO reports all cores running at 3.0GHz during the R15 run

View attachment 1521
I see roughly the same values in Windows 10 with a SR0KX as britinpdx. Its's interesting to watch my Kill-a-watt jump from 57 watts before the test to ~195 watts during the test.

Reactions: einstein

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
So tempted to swap my 1620>2670

Anyone bought "too many" (if that's a thing...) and willing to ship to Sweden? Pretty unwilling to pay $140 shipping :(

Also, us Swedes got bashed in that presidential debate, so give me a break...

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I've done a bunch of freight forwarding on [H] for some EU guys and have plenty of references. Shipping would run you $34 for priority mail. Send me a message if you're interested.

Reactions: kroem

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I got some pics of my build as well (E3 teardown/E5 buildout) that I need to get together and post in DIY SVR/WS thread.

DAMN happy w/ how these turned out, lil growing pains/lessons learned and I have one more node to light up (one last mobo purchase) and then I'll be good for a few years (always say that, wife must be tired of hearing it hah)

Got my spare proc sitting here from deepserverdiscounts on Saturday, dunno what the hell I'm gonna do w/ it :-D

EDIT: Teasers, Damn I need to re-take better photo's before I post a build thread, least of the final product, my phone cam snaps are jank.

As you can tell I am mostly for GO and not for show lol, not the cleanest and I should tidy up (that 4U w/ sas expander and a million 8087-8087 cables is a nightmare to cable manage heh). All my chassis are gonna be stuffed to the gills with hotswap disk slots as I am big into storage although that white case build from @FunkyRider83 looks sick!

Good show sir!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I've done a bunch of freight forwarding on [H] for some EU guys and have plenty of references. Shipping would run you $34 for priority mail. Send me a message if you're interested.
Cool - I might do that further on - for now, something else stole my money in the Great Deals forum(yesterday) :)

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm starting to feel jealous of all you guys with working 2670's systems... My motherboard is going back to sm on a rma today or tomorrow under warranty, I broke my phone on Saturday and I'm down to a kindle and a laptop from 1991. It's a darn good thing I have my math books and a pencil to keep me busy. I'm going through withdrawal... I need to sell some more crap so that I can start building a second incomplete system.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm starting to feel jealous of all you guys with working 2670's systems... My motherboard is going back to sm on a rma today or tomorrow under warranty, I broke my phone on Saturday and I'm down to a kindle and a laptop from 1991. It's a darn good thing I have my math books and a pencil to keep me busy. I'm going through withdrawal... I need to sell some more crap so that I can start building a second incomplete system.
Sounds like you need to RDP into a cloud instance of some sort!

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Sounds like you need to RDP into a cloud instance of some sort!
Happily there are online versions of octave/r/python/latex... No movies or youtube this week though. Pain in the bum, as I follow the khan/coursera/mit lectures, courses) for my math and machine learning courses... But they will still be there next week and I will probably get more work done with a pencil and my textbooks than I would have surfing between lectures and playing with software.

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Brah, I just had to return 5 boards all with bent pins, lol.

edit: make that 6, I forgot about some other random board I bought

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Happily there are online versions of octave/r/python/latex... No movies or youtube this week though. Pain in the bum, as I follow the khan/coursera/mit lectures, courses) for my math and machine learning courses... But they will still be there next week and I will probably get more work done with a pencil and my textbooks than I would have surfing between lectures and playing with software.
Ha! Makes sense. I have an Intel NUC setup in one of the datacenters and two at home as "just in case" boxes.