Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Pretty set one Define XL R2 or Deep Silence 5. Want something quiet. I would have used the Thermaltake F51 as well, but the holes didn't line up.
Thanks for the info about the F51. I had thought about that case but wasn't sure if the holes would line up. Now I know.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
SM fans should mount fine. Only issue you may have is that they typically have stupid-short wires on them because they are designed to sit inside their hotswap mounts. Nothing a fan extension cord can't fix (but buy the SM ones off ebay - they cheap ones use really thin wires that might not support the current draw of the SM fans).
CBL-0296L or CBL-0216L, I think the latter but just want to be sure.

Also any specific SM fan models you suggest? Something like this possibly FAN-0044L4?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
have you tried updating IPMI firmware? that's typically what controls fan stuff.

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
Well, my X9DRD-7LF4F-JBOD from comp-tec came today (the 2x E5-2670's from stalliontek came yesterday) and it's more or less in working order (the heatsinks were screwed to the board, so the sockets seem fine. Thankfully none of the heatsink paste that was left on the coolers made it into the sockets! Someone either forgot to include an I/O shield or it managed to wiggle it's way out of the somewhat loose packaging though).

Whoa do those 2U passive supermicro heatsinks certainly need a bit of airflow to keep an E5-2670 happy! I had to put a couple 92mm fans on each just to keep them from setting off the board thermal alarm. Time to find some active coolers! =)

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the reminder. Mine didn't come with a I/O shield either. Meant to order one but forgot. Just did after reading your post. :)

Havs

Sep 23, 2015
Cute, take all noctua fans off the 4 pin mobo headers and JUST leave SNK-P0048AP4 4-pin fan hooked to FAN1 (closest to 24pin pwr on board) and what do you know she's settled down.

Now what do I have...$60 worth of noctua boat anchors...more loot out the door, can I hook them 'somehow' up off a daisy-chained molex conn or sorts to just nominally run them? Don't have many disks in this host and I try to keep them to ssd's when i do load it up with disk but I sure do wanna use my new fans. Guess I should have consulted here first on fans, used noctua's on my other 4224 system and they are not mis-behaving w/ same heatsink/fan combo, they were the real high end fans though (3x 120MM and 2x 80mm). They keep that chassis very cool and are super quiet.

Other fan recommendations?

Any tips or am I just screwed, guess I can start adding them back on one at a time to see what happens/when things go up in flames.

Thanks guys and specifically @PigLover, was pulling my hair out on that one.
You may be running into the low RPM threshold. Supermicro's idea of low fan speed seems to be on the order of "jet engine preparing for takeoff." They're not used to the low "normal" speeds of consumer grade fans. They drop below the alarm level and the server panics. I thought I recalled them throwing the fans on high until reboot when it hits an alarm level though, so this might not be the same issue as yours.
In any event, you can install a until in linux called ipmitool and it lets you view and control all kinds of ipmi stuff. Another alternative program is freeipmi, of which I'm not very familiar.

To view your fan thresholds the command is:
ipmitool -I lan -U <username> -P <pass> -H <IP or fqdn> sensor|grep FAN

Which outputs something along the lines of:
FAN1 | 3800.000 | RPM | ok | 200.000 | 200.000 | 300.000 | 25500.000 | 25500.000 | 25500.000

To set all lower thresholds for the fan above you'd run:
ipmitool -I lan -U <username> -P <pass> -H <IP or fqdn> sensor thresh FAN1 lower 100 150 200

To test whether there is an issue between the nocturas and your motherboard, one thing you might try is setting them to full blast:
ipmitool -I lan -U admin -P admin -H 192.168.1.15 raw 0x30 0x45 1 1

If you've got fan wavering when set to full, that'd be a pretty clear indication of a problem.

Reactions: whitey

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Welp, looks like my board will be going back to comp-tec. Hangs at B7 with anything populated in DIMM Slot "P1-DIMMB1". Tried 4 different modules on the SuperMicro memory list and all fail in that particular slot, but work fine anywhere else. The bent fins on the heatsink should have been a giveaway it was gonna have issues I suppose.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hmmm, so many B7 errors getting a bit weird here.

Inspected the ram slot to make sure no thermal paste or ___ is in there? Blow it out with some air?

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Yeah, clean as a whistle in there. Tried swapping CPU's, booting with just one, etc. Always fails if there's something in that particular slot. Double checked the socket also, pins look ok to my eye in it. I did find a reference on the SuperMicro site that it can be caused by damage to resistors on the board also.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hmmm, so many B7 errors getting a bit weird here.

Inspected the ram slot to make sure no thermal paste or ___ is in there? Blow it out with some air?
Remember though, my B7 was a damaged mobo from asshat newegg, new one was packed better and fully working on all dimm slots (two board now). GL all, these do seem to be fun to 'get off the ground' but once you do they are well worth it!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, clean as a whistle in there. Tried swapping CPU's, booting with just one, etc. Always fails if there's something in that particular slot. Double checked the socket also, pins look ok to my eye in it. I did find a reference on the SuperMicro site that it can be caused by damage to resistors on the board also.
Did you check the underside of the board, that's where I could visibly see bent pins from my crunch 'incident'. Seems to have caused the dimm slot to go boom.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You may be running into the low RPM threshold. Supermicro's idea of low fan speed seems to be on the order of "jet engine preparing for takeoff." They're not used to the low "normal" speeds of consumer grade fans. They drop below the alarm level and the server panics. I thought I recalled them throwing the fans on high until reboot when it hits an alarm level though, so this might not be the same issue as yours.
In any event, you can install a until in linux called ipmitool and it lets you view and control all kinds of ipmi stuff. Another alternative program is freeipmi, of which I'm not very familiar.

To view your fan thresholds the command is:
ipmitool -I lan -U <username> -P <pass> -H <IP or fqdn> sensor|grep FAN

Which outputs something along the lines of:
FAN1 | 3800.000 | RPM | ok | 200.000 | 200.000 | 300.000 | 25500.000 | 25500.000 | 25500.000

To set all lower thresholds for the fan above you'd run:
ipmitool -I lan -U <username> -P <pass> -H <IP or fqdn> sensor thresh FAN1 lower 100 150 200

To test whether there is an issue between the nocturas and your motherboard, one thing you might try is setting them to full blast:
ipmitool -I lan -U admin -P admin -H 192.168.1.15 raw 0x30 0x45 1 1

If you've got fan wavering when set to full, that'd be a pretty clear indication of a problem.
MY MAN, that did it! I KNEW there may be some legs to ipmitool earlier, was poking at it but then backed off once I proved the active heatsink fan stopped freaking out once I unplugged the noctua's. All buttoned back up w/ case lid on and she's/me ='s happy! THANKS

Sniff...I love this place!

ipmitool-fixed-me-up.png ipmiview-sensors-happy-again.png

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Good. Just remember that those changes won't survive a reset of the BMC (pulling the wall plug).

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah it's probably a temp fix, I need to go get those SM fans.

Thx all! REALLY appreciate it

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@alex1002 seller don't fully test w/all RAM slots... damaged in shipping (i'd be curious to know WHAT exactly is going wrong that they're all having the same problem), or they were used+decom & sold but never with RAM in the slots that don't work??

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
There is a nice little ipmi tool for Android if you like playing from your phone.
Yeah I have the IPMIVIEW for andriod, pretty cool indeed KVM logging into a ESXi node and 'vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms' then vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off/on' VM's. from phone, but then again I can do that from connectbot just as easy.