Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That sucks. I had a similar problem with my X9SRL-F. I would get the B7 error if I populated DIMMC1 (the blue slot closest to the edge of the motherboard). I would also see periodic slowdowns and weird CPU activity spikes under what should have been small loads.

I was trying to run this off a brand new EVGA G2 Supernova PSU (which works fine with other systems). I switched back to my six year old Coolermaster Silent PSU, and all of my DIMMs work (no B7 code) and no more weird CPU freezing. So, have you tried a different PSU?

As a sidenote, the other weird thing I have found with this X9SRL-F motherboard is that it loops through the BIOS screen twice everytime it boots. Also, when I have changed the priority to use a PCIe slot for graphics, I don't see the BIOS screen at all until Windows starts up. Is this common for others that have Supermicro motherboards?
Damn, hope it's not the G2 causing issues I have ~3 of those I got on deals/new recently for building some of these :( I'll have to give it a shot, the Seasonic i'm using now seems to be working fine.

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Well, motherboard showed up today. Good news, it looks like no bent pins in either socket since it had heatsinks bolted down on each. Bad news, it was literally wedged sideways in a box that was way too big, wrapped in a few turns of bubble wrap. Also looks like it took a whack on one of the heatsinks as it has a bunch of bent fins. I'll be amazed if this thing POSTs, but won't be able to to test till my power supply arrives.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Damn, hope it's not the G2 causing issues I have ~3 of those I got on deals/new recently for building some of these :( I'll have to give it a shot, the Seasonic i'm using now seems to be working fine.
I'm not sure. I would really enjoy your feedback when you do build those systems, so I can figure out the issue. I'd really like to use the EVGA as it's a great PSU.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
This was my exact issue. If you mean the last blue and last black DIMMs closest to the North edge of the board. Humor me and try a different power supply. Mine just worked after I switched. It makes me wonder if one of my parts don't play well with the sine wave power on a newer power supply (grasping at straws here).
I can give that a shot. It seems unlikely that I would experience the same issue you did with two different motherboards and CPUs on my end. Something has to be amiss. I currently have an SS-560KM in the chassis, but I will swap it out and see if things look any different.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
crap... I might have to buy another if it goes any lower
I just fell for the trick, partly because I am suspicious of one of my procs (I'll know later today when my newegg replacement X9SRL-F boards shows up whether it's mobo or cpu) and partly to have a spare on hand.

And I 'thought' $90 was a DAMN good price. Goodness gracious!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I just fell for the trick, partly because I am suspicious of one of my procs (I'll know later today when my newegg replacement X9SRL-F boards shows up whether it's mobo or cpu) and partly to have a spare on hand.

And I 'thought' $90 was a DAMN good price. Goodness gracious!
@whitey, did you experience any weird RAM placement issues causing B7 errors on your X9SRL-F boards? All my RAM tested good with Memtest, but I could only get it to work by switching out my PSU as mentioned above.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
No issues on one of my systems (reading full 128 gb across 8 16 gb dimms), the other one had a rough shipping journey that I think caused DIMMC1 to not work (could visibly see bent pins on the underside of dimm slot on the mobo and that was the edge of mobo that got CRUNCHED). System that is fully working now (norco 2212) runs a 400W seasonic and the other one (SC216) had a SM pwr supply in it (forget what model) that WAS throwing the B7 errors but i dont think mine was related to pwr supply...we shall see in a few hours when new mobo arrives. I have to build out my norco 4224 today which has some bastardized corsair CX600M in it so it's not really a apples to apples comparison, will have to get back to the SC216 chassis/build later as I need to get a pool of my spinners back online in the 4224.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
No issues on one of my systems (reading full 128 gb across 8 16 gb dimms), the other one had a rough shipping journey that I think caused DIMMC1 to not work (could visibly see bent pins on the underside of dimm slot on the mobo and that was the edge of mobo that got CRUNCHED). System that is fully working now (norco 2212) runs a 400W seasonic and the other one (SC216) had a SM pwr supply in it (forget what model) that WAS throwing the B7 errors but i dont think mine was related to pwr supply...we shall see in a few hours when new mobo arrives.
Sounds good. I'll await your results. I was getting all sorts of issues and was playing musical chairs with my sticks of RAM trying to get it functioning with all of the DIMM slots populated. I actually took the heatsink back off cleaned everything up, checked the motherboard for bent pins on my brand new board (Newegg as well, but mine were all good) and swapped the PSU and suddenly everything just worked.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ohh and I'm gonna chime in here on heatsinks, DO NOT get the SNK-P0048PS passive heatsink, BIGGEST POS/waste of $ I've spent in awhile as they CANNOT keep cpu temps under control, even added 4 noctua NF-R8 PWN fans and they don't seem to be resolving the issue, gonna have to replace the heatsink w/ a SNK-P0048AP4 active heatsink I have on hand as the passive one makes my system all sorts of angry when temps climb to 95-99C with case lid on (lid off right now freaking silly!)

Also have two Dynatro R14's I have heard good things abt from @T_Minus that I figured I'd give a try while I am attempting to spend as much on stupid heatsinks as I have on procs.

GRRRR...NOT happy!

Reactions: Fritz

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
...DO NOT get the SNK-P0048PS passive heatsink, BIGGEST POS/waste of $ I've spent in awhile as they CANNOT keep cpu temps under control
To be fair - I think this should be qualified a little bit. The SBK-P0048PS works GREAT when used as it was designed to be used. Inside of a SuperMicro 2U/3U/4U chassis with the plastic fan shroud in place, directing three of the four high static pressure backplane fans across it they have no problem at all keeping an E5-2670v1 115W TDP CPU perfectly cool. I've used this HS with 130W CPUs too, and while 130W pushes the envelope a bit they do in fact keep the CPU cool enough to avoid thermal throttling.

But - if you expect this heatsink to work without that high-speed, high pressure airflow you'll see it as a POS. It won't work worth a darn with low-speed, low pressure (and low noise) Noctua fans. And it pretty much won't work at all as a fully passive HS (as in no air shroud and lid open).

If you are going to keep the lid open or try to use Noctua fans then you should use an active HSF.

Reactions: Quasduco and Aestr

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
If you have room for the SNK-P0050AP4 that has been mentioned a few times works REALLY well. The CPU temps are fantastic and it's super quiet. Obvisouly, this wouldn't fit in your 2U Norco 2212 case @whitey, but I'm mentioning this for others.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Fair enough, yeah only reason lid is open is to quiet down alarms/keep temps down. I will swap out to the active SM HS and see what happens tonight.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If you have room for the SNK-P0050AP4 that has been mentioned a few times works REALLY well. The CPU temps are fantastic and it's super quiet.
In my 4U 4224 system I could take this route but I decided to try the dynatron 14R units out so we shall see what the cards hold.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Silly side question but what are everyone's thoughts on using (or not) the included heatsink thermal compound? Use it/leave as is or clean off and re-apply arctic silver?