Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Got my 2 E5-2670 on the way now from deepdiscountservers. Managed to talk down the price on a Supermicro X9DRL-iF from a local supplier. Now I only miss RAM, CPU coolers and a PSU. Thinking of getting a Corsair HX750i. Should be okay with 8 HDDs?

I picked the X9DRL-iF because it is ATX and I can use a regular midi case for it. The LGA2011 sockets sit close on that board so I can't use just about any cooler for it. Supermicro has fitting ones. I'm also eyeing the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo which STH has a review of. But not sure if they bump into the RAM modules or not.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Nice. How is the BIOS, fan speeds, and IT mode adapter? IPMI any better than the X8 boards?
I got mine setup with one 2670, 32gb of ram, 12 spinners, and a sas expander. It hovers about 200w in usage according to the IPMI running 7 vms. It slows the fans down quite a ways in my SC836 chassis. Passed the lsi adapter through to a freenas vm and works great.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I found the cooler I'm gonna use. Noctua NH-D9L NH-D9L
Looks so much better than the Supermicro active coolers and just as compatible.

I'm also glad I didn't jump on buying used motherboards. I will take a chance on used RAM though.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
So board is not repairable by SM. Back to square one. Do I sell the chips, or do I buy a motherboard new? At this point I am extremely aggravated.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I found the cooler I'm gonna use. Noctua NH-D9L NH-D9L
Looks so much better than the Supermicro active coolers and just as compatible.

I'm also glad I didn't jump on buying used motherboards. I will take a chance on used RAM though.

It cost 2x as much as the Supermicro one and likely won't provide near the cooling capacity...

I guess if looks matter over functionality ????

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I am on my second E5-2670 and second X9SRL-F. The system will only boot when I have DIMMA1 and BIMMB1 populated - the rest of the time it hangs at POST with error code B7. Actually, it got past it once, and then hung ... I have tried every type of memory I have available to me - UDIMMs, RDIMMs, standard DDR3, 8GB and 4GB modules. The only thing I haven't tried is 1.35v sticks - all of mine are 1.5 - but 1.5v memory is on the compatibility list. All of the memory I have tested it with is "known" good and works with Westmere-based SM servers.

I have no expansion cards installed - just CPU and RAM. I have never been so stumped in my life.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
son of a whore, the supermicro manual is incorrect. It says to put the memory in the blue slots in order DIMMA1, DIMMB1, DIMMC1, DIMMD1, then black slots DIMMA2, DIMMB2, DIMMC2, DIMMD2, but that doesn't work.

Two weeks of RMAs, cross-shipping, memory pulls, and swearing, because of incorrect documention. Now I have to go see if I can cancel an order on ebay.

Grrrrrrrrrr

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Nice, I think that solves the last of my "keep this found sounding like a jet in a 3u case" issues!
Scratch that, looking at Noctua's compatibility guide I think the NH-D9DX i4 3U is gonna be the ticket for Narrow ILMs. 32mm of ram clearance...which I *think* the modules I have will squeak in under.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
son of a whore, the supermicro manual is incorrect. It says to put the memory in the blue slots in order DIMMA1, DIMMB1, DIMMC1, DIMMD1, then black slots DIMMA2, DIMMB2, DIMMC2, DIMMD2, but that doesn't work.

Two weeks of RMAs, cross-shipping, memory pulls, and swearing, because of incorrect documention. Now I have to go see if I can cancel an order on ebay.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Populating a X9SRL-F myself yielded successful results by taking blue slots first then black ones (8x 16gb dimms for 128GB). YIKES, dunno what the issue is with your board, my other board of course did not fare too well with the shipping daemons adn took substantial damage that would not allow DIMMC1 to read memory. Have my new replacement board out for delivery tomorrow.

Got 4 noctua NF-R8 PWN fans to throw in my norco 2212 tonight to get my temps back under control.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I am on my second E5-2670 and second X9SRL-F. The system will only boot when I have DIMMA1 and BIMMB1 populated - the rest of the time it hangs at POST with error code B7. Actually, it got past it once, and then hung ... I have tried every type of memory I have available to me - UDIMMs, RDIMMs, standard DDR3, 8GB and 4GB modules. The only thing I haven't tried is 1.35v sticks - all of mine are 1.5 - but 1.5v memory is on the compatibility list. All of the memory I have tested it with is "known" good and works with Westmere-based SM servers.

I have no expansion cards installed - just CPU and RAM. I have never been so stumped in my life.
I had B7 error/nag msg, definitely memory related, I thought I had a bad stick(s) but tested them all in DIMMA1 (first blue one) successfully to validate DIMMS were fine and would get past B7 hang. Mine turned out to be a bad board as mentioned before, sure hope it's that, I thought I read a comment here abt someone having an issue that was processor related to being able to read/recognize all memory/slots. :-( Hope i don't have a bad proc that needs to go back to esiso.

EDIT: Using Samsung M393B2G70DB0-CMA dimms here. X9SRL-F seems happy w/ those at full population.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

Grrrrrrrrrr
As they say in my neck of the woods - "That's enough to make a preacher cuss."

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
There is still an issue - now it boots with six of the eight slots populated, but the last two are bad - or it could be CPU. I have another board in a box sitting here unopened, but if it turns out to be the CPU (again) I'm going to have to pay NewEgg a 15% restocking fee and I hate having to do that.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Populating a X9SRL-F myself yielded successful results by taking blue slots first then black ones (8x 16gb dimms for 128GB).
I tried populating blue slots first, but could never boot when I had all four populated. For last resort (after that post) I populated the first two blue and the first two black and it booted. Now it boots with the first four, then the next two (one blue, one black) just north of the CPU socket. Those are non-interleaved slots, so there is definitely something amiss ... either with this CPU or this board.

:D

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA

That sucks. I had a similar problem with my X9SRL-F. I would get the B7 error if I populated DIMMC1 (the blue slot closest to the edge of the motherboard). I would also see periodic slowdowns and weird CPU activity spikes under what should have been small loads.

I was trying to run this off a brand new EVGA G2 Supernova PSU (which works fine with other systems). I switched back to my six year old Coolermaster Silent PSU, and all of my DIMMs work (no B7 code) and no more weird CPU freezing. So, have you tried a different PSU?

As a sidenote, the other weird thing I have found with this X9SRL-F motherboard is that it loops through the BIOS screen twice everytime it boots. Also, when I have changed the priority to use a PCIe slot for graphics, I don't see the BIOS screen at all until Windows starts up. Is this common for others that have Supermicro motherboards?

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
There is still an issue - now it boots with six of the eight slots populated, but the last two are bad - or it could be CPU. I have another board in a box sitting here unopened, but if it turns out to be the CPU (again) I'm going to have to pay NewEgg a 15% restocking fee and I hate having to do that.
This was my exact issue. If you mean the last blue and last black DIMMs closest to the North edge of the board. Humor me and try a different power supply. Mine just worked after I switched. It makes me wonder if one of my parts don't play well with the sine wave power on a newer power supply (grasping at straws here).