Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
In my case there is only one real goal... Reduction of wife complaints.

1) the xeon phi's come fan-less and require proper server rack type fans to keep them cool so lot's of noise.

2) I could use any of a number of large heat sink fan combo's for the CPUs rather than a water block but if I already have the rads and water blocks the price of a water block for the cpu is about the same as a large quiet heatsink/fan combo and what the heck.

My server room and my office are the same room. If I had 4 or 5 of these beasts running, which I hope to, I suspect you would have no problem hearing them from upstairs using a standard rack, with servers fans configuration.
I can't imagine having to share rooms with the racked gear :( and yet that's what I'm doing while still building out the DC room, not fun ha ha!

I understand your goal 100%

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Picked up 2 2670 and X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, any recommendations on ram? Looking for 64gb total and supermicro tested Samsung 64GB (8x8GB) 2RX4 PC3L-10600R DDR3 1.35V Memory M393B1K70DH0-YH9 but just wanted to know if there was anything to look out for.
Did you get the mobos from the seller who is selling of bunch of those? The name escapes me right now.

I'm starting to get paranoid about buying motherboards without CPU covers on the sockets. Just received one in the mail, at an albeit very cheap price, that had bent pins. The guy put packing tape over the sockets but I doubt it did anything to protect it lol.

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Those of you thinking of water cooling I must ask "why" ? Other than to be different what's your goal?

Have you run these at 100% load and are not happy? These CPUs are fine running hotter than you're probably used too, and air cooling is quiet and effective even at 100% load for 20min+ 2x CPU.
I plan on over clocking them hence my research into it.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
They seem to 'churn and burn' here on some of my initial 'burn-in/benchmark' tests at stock 2.6 Ghz, thoroughly impressed so far, now if I could just interpret the linux-bench numbers a bit better.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Why force turbo boost speed ALL the time if you don't need that (As-in they click up 100% just fine when load is there)?
I ran that previously on my desktop and never noticed anything except my power :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What Ghz do you think all cores max at? I've seen every one at the intel rated max on mine - is that a reading error? I thought it was odd, but they all went there.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
all your cores boost to the max when loaded? hmm

from intel "
Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second.
"

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
3.2999 is what I get when running 'stress' in linux on them all

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
As I said though, I'm not sure if the 'output' of the frequency of all cores is just "wrong" though, this was in linux and I'll run it again and take a picture tomorrow to share, it could be that it's taking 1 Core Frequency and all cores available and saying "yep all are ___"

If someone can chime in with how to accurately display all core frequency in linux I'll gladly run that command too and see if I get any different results.

I'll post up what I was using when I boot up again and pull it out of history.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I bought 2 motherboards X9-DRD-EF for my 4 xeons bought here.
They just arrived.
One is not a supermicro motherboard but a MicroStar MS-S0991 REV 1.0.....

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
It seems to be a LGA-2011v3 motherboard with DDR4 (it's not what i bought....)
It's hard to say if it's a LGA2011-v3 or DDR4 by inspecting the motherboard. differences are not enougth noticiable for me...

I did'nt find so much informations about this motherboard. i did'nt find it's cost.
Pfffff.

Last edited:

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Yes, it's hard to say.
I have'nt memory and proc to test it.
So i didn't find ans prices about it.

I contacted the seller to see what he can do before to go in PayPal request process.

So, i'm in France, and would avoid additionnal shipping cost, duties and vat.

Waiting and see.

But it doesn't seems to be a popular motherboard on the Web...

Last edited: