Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KJaneway

Jan 12, 2016
Hmm I think a new Supermicro X9SRL is the cheapest option for such a beauty. So is esisoinc a good seller or are there better option (maybe not on ebay)

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
This is a very, very dangerous place to visit...

I've now got an X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD (+heatsinks) and 2x E5-2670's on their way. Now I just ned to make space next to all of the L5639, X5650, Mellanox 10/40G cards and Dell LSI HBA's that I've got sitting around from previous threads. =)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@snclawson let me know about those L5639 if you want to trade/sell them I could use a couple for some 1Us I have waiting to go into service and would prefer some low power chips :D :D

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
I agree I probably should have skipped the whole e5-2670v1 show as it would only be replacing a 2(x) x5690 server which is not that much of an upgrade.

Reactions: Fritz

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
buy from esisoinc. It looks like they are pretty legit. I have one bad processor out of 5. In the process of getting a refund for that one. The memory banks A0 and A1 were bad when that one processor was installed, but when I changed out the processor it would work again. So my conclusion is that the memory controller on that one is bad. Still booted and all 8 cores register, however.

I read up more on stalliontek by doing a google search for that company and "review". All I can say is I think I dodged a bullet there.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I will be water cooling once I have my xeon phi's water cooling setup in place as a couple more inches of hose isn't a big deal.

I like the layout of the X9DAI as a workstation board but for 4 cards the X9DRG-QF (custom form factor) is the most practical but there is NO cheap enclosure to hold it.

The Asus Z9PE-D8 WS is another excellent 4 card board to watch out for (eatx). There are D16 variants of the D8 board with less slots that are generally cheaper but have a less appealing layout for a workstation.

1P boards are much easier to purchase.

Server boards are generally the most discounted and easy to find.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I was thinking of doing aio coolers for both chips but have yet to find one that is quiet enough
Asetek has some server products but I don't know if they are sold as a separate part. Also they only sell to OEM.

Seems like custom might be the only option.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Has anyone considered water cooling one of these setups or is that entering in silly space?
I got a X9DAi and a couple 2670s. Going to water cool them and my GPUs since I have all the water stuff sitting around from the SR-2 years ago.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Asetek has some server products but I don't know if they are sold as a separate part. Also they only sell to OEM.

Seems like custom might be the only option.

Piffle... alphacool has blocks for the xeon phi and ekg has the annihilator or an adapter for the narrow versions to install any of their standard blocks. There is no reason to water cool these cpus other than noise and a few guys seem to be going passive which is quieter than a pump motor/fan. The phi's require a cooling solution so extending it to the cpu's isn't much more of a pain in the butt BUT it isn't necessary by any stretch of the imagination.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
How do you even do passive on dual CPU?

I'd like quiet. Nothing worst than a wind tunnel sitting beside you all day.

Although air might be quiet too with the proper fans although it seems that at that point your costs aren't too far away from water!

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I've got the dyan fan/heatsink combo running today and it is annoying in the next room with the door closed with only one cpu installed.
With the second fan running it is quite impressive.

In the room I am currently use the age old technique of turning the music louder right now. Collecting parts takes forever on a constrained budget and swapping motherboards isn't making things go faster.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Those of you thinking of water cooling I must ask "why" ? Other than to be different what's your goal?

Have you run these at 100% load and are not happy? These CPUs are fine running hotter than you're probably used too, and air cooling is quiet and effective even at 100% load for 20min+ 2x CPU.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
In my case there is only one real goal... Reduction of wife complaints.

1) the xeon phi's come fan-less and require proper server rack type fans to keep them cool so lot's of noise.

2) I could use any of a number of large heat sink fan combo's for the CPUs rather than a water block but if I already have the rads and water blocks the price of a water block for the cpu is about the same as a large quiet heatsink/fan combo and what the heck.

My server room and my office are the same room. If I had 4 or 5 of these beasts running, which I hope to, I suspect you would have no problem hearing them from upstairs using a standard rack, with servers fans configuration.