Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Idle power consumption more than anything. I know my system won't be pegged because I don't have any resource intensive VMs, with the exception of storage and media. I saw the review but I don't know how much the video card skewed the numbers.
Each quadro 4000 takes around 60 watts at idle. Subtract that from the above test, that would put the system at around 140watts idle.

If you don't have any resource intensive VM, why get the E6-2670 now? In a few years, the v2/v3 CPU will be in the same price range.

Sep 22, 2015
Okay...he just countered me higher at 165/ea when I countered at 120/ea...these guys are just annoying.
I really enjoy it when people get aggressive when haggling by countering their initial offer with a higher offer. It doesn't make me respect them, or think they're tough, it just means I know it's instantly time to walk away.

Reactions: Dajinn

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You guys do realize that - by now - these sellers have figured out who is linking their ebay listings and are reading your wide open public discussion of their pricing? Its no wonder their raised the floor on what they will accept.

Subtlety is missing here - and if you want the best deals then discussing them in an open forum really isn't the best approach. You've got about a 24 hour window between the first "great deal" post and when your thread shows up in Google for the seller to find. After that they have the upper hand in haggling.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
You guys do realize that - by now - these sellers have figured out who is linking their ebay listings and are reading your wide open public discussion of their pricing? Its no wonder their raised the floor on what they will accept.

Subtlety is missing here - and if you want the best deals then discussing them in an open forum really isn't the best approach. You've got about a 24 hour window between the first "great deal" post and when your thread shows up in Google for the seller to find. After that they have the upper hand in haggling.
I've always figured its people linking to the thread saying "but this person got XYZ... see: ". I've heard that from more than a few sellers on other deals.

The other side is that most people here can hold off buying chips if they try spiking price. Most people here are not buying urgently for work (because we buy mostly new for that) so this is discretionary spend which is very elastic in price sensitivity.

I'm just sitting on my cash until they go back to $120 or lower.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@Jeggs101

You are perfectly correct, CASH is king.
For my personal use, there is not a dime of difference between E5-2670 vs E5-2620.
It just amazing that a E5-2670 v1 cost less than a retail Intel I3 CPU.

Reactions: Dajinn

skelleton

Nov 4, 2015
Yep now that I got some money from getting rid of old hardware I am waiting for those to drop to the 130ish range again.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still on the edge. Granted, I ordered a few but I'm really looking into power consumption and I can't really find anything definitive. Has anyone here plugged theirs up to a kill-a-watt yet?
I can get some readings early next week when I have my server setup. Is Corsair Link an accurate way to take such readings or should I use my Kill-a-watt?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I can get some readings early next week when I have my server setup. Is Corsair Link an accurate way to take such readings or should I use my Kill-a-watt?
Kill-a-watt, the software isn't quite there. HardOCP did a test and there was a large variance between what their meter was reading and what the Link software reported.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I'm still on the edge. Granted, I ordered a few but I'm really looking into power consumption and I can't really find anything definitive. Has anyone here plugged theirs up to a kill-a-watt yet?
My latest workstation is an all Supermicro build based around a 732 Mid Tower Chassis (PWS-903-PQ power supply), X9DRi-F motherboard, 2x E5-2670 (SR0H8), 8x 8GB Kingston PC3-12800R, 2x Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 coolers. I added another 120mm fan to the front of the chassis, and 2012R2 is running from a 120GB Kingston Hyper-X SSD.

Right now, video is onboard, but I'll soon be dropping in something suitable.

I posted CPU details in post #29 of this thread. The motherboard is actually an X9DRi-F not the X9DR3-F posted in the screenshots (the BIOS between the two is common).

BIOS settings for CPU Power Management is "Energy Efficient"
Fan Speed Mode (verified from IPMIView) is Standard
2012R2 Power settings at "balanced"

Per my Kill-A-Watt, the system idles at 76W.

Running the AIDA64 System Stability test, the system pulls about 315W.

Idle temps are in the 25~30C range, and after 20 mins of testing the temps are pretty stable in the 50~60C range.

Reactions: Chuntzu

waith

Aug 3, 2015
Okay...he just countered me higher at 165/ea when I countered at 120/ea...these guys are just annoying.
So are these confirmed to be SR0KX? I'm itching to upgrade my 1220v2 rig with dual 2670s.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
The two I got from jandbitsolutions (Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.60GHz 20MB 8-Core Processor Grade A/B) are SR0H8. Just got them today. Will try to test VT-D if I have time.

waith

Aug 3, 2015
The two I got from jandbitsolutions (Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.60GHz 20MB 8-Core Processor Grade A/B) are SR0H8. Just got them today. Will try to test VT-D if I have time.
I offered $120 and they counter offered $170, $5 less than their buy it now. What a pile of jerks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
And this is why I was upset when someone tried to "use my name" months ago with an ebay seller to get a deal. <shakes head>

The Deals & General Chat should be private, IMHO.

Ironically, at that time everyone thought I was being rude and was totally out of line for being upset my name was used, and a seller on ebay was SENT a link to this forum <shakes head again>.

I warned ya ;)

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
And this is why I was upset when someone tried to "use my name" months ago with an ebay seller to get a deal. <shakes head>

The Deals & General Chat should be private, IMHO.

Ironically, at that time everyone thought I was being rude and was totally out of line for being upset my name was used, and a seller on ebay was SENT a link to this forum <shakes head again>.

I warned ya ;)
Oh wow, I missed all of that. That is some crazy stuff. That's one reason why I never give a BO that I go. The internet is too public. I agree, if we do talk about it, keep it private.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
Each quadro 4000 takes around 60 watts at idle. Subtract that from the above test, that would put the system at around 140watts idle.

If you don't have any resource intensive VM, why get the E6-2670 now? In a few years, the v2/v3 CPU will be in the same price range.
I do a lot of "home environment production testing" (run different systems in my house for actually use in my home for the sake of learning) so the additional cores are welcomed.

My latest workstation is an all Supermicro build based around a 732 Mid Tower Chassis (PWS-903-PQ power supply), X9DRi-F motherboard, 2x E5-2670 (SR0H8), 8x 8GB Kingston PC3-12800R, 2x Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 coolers. I added another 120mm fan to the front of the chassis, and 2012R2 is running from a 120GB Kingston Hyper-X SSD.

Right now, video is onboard, but I'll soon be dropping in something suitable.

I posted CPU details in post #29 of this thread. The motherboard is actually an X9DRi-F not the X9DR3-F posted in the screenshots (the BIOS between the two is common).

BIOS settings for CPU Power Management is "Energy Efficient"
Fan Speed Mode (verified from IPMIView) is Standard
2012R2 Power settings at "balanced"

Per my Kill-A-Watt, the system idles at 76W.
I think I'm sold...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus