Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I am considering these if I can find an affordable motherboard for them.
I would not recommend buying the board used unless the seller has a very good reputation. Too many duds out there and not worth the time.

The chips are really awesome. My passmark scores are higher than I had anticipated, 1755 single thread and just about 20 500 for the system. Well worth the $$$ even though I paid retail for the board.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
E5-2670 prices seem to slowly be coming back down from the bump they had over the two weeks or so. They're still not back to $60 though.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
who said they bought anything... they probably have a contract with a major DC and just haul it all away...

This stuff is depreciated. so the former owner needs to get rid of it to make space for newer stuff.

Chris

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
How could I be so silly to have overlooked that. Yes we have all these servers for nothing so lets just get someone to haul our shit out of here and not replace it with anything because we have time to do that.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
who said they bought anything... they probably have a contract with a major DC and just haul it all away...

This stuff is depreciated. so the former owner needs to get rid of it to make space for newer stuff.
But why are all the other v1 E5 Xeon chips not similarly cheap? Was the 2670 the most popular chip from the Sandy Bridge-EP family used in servers causing a huge glut of 2670 chips vs. all the others? Even v1 E5 chips that are below the 2670 in the lineup that are less powerful are more expensive.

How could I be so silly to have overlooked that. Yes we have all these servers for nothing so lets just get someone to haul our shit out of here and not replace it with anything because we have time to do that.
I suspect the used / off lease servers that are out of warranty and are being discarded by businesses are worth more parted out than they are sold whole as a complete server. Hence, parts, not servers.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@Stereodude i'd urge reading through this thread for ideas as to why -- that exact question has come up at least twice now :D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Whatever the reason, I now have a much more powerful workstation than I would have had if these E5 2670's had not tanked. I'm a happy camper. :)

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Please spill the beans this thread is now only nearly 60 pages long.
I decided to go back and read the first ~50 pages of the thread that I hadn't read before and there is no answer. Near the start of the thread there was speculation that Facebook, Google, etc dumped a bunch of servers at the same time causing a big oversupply of them. There was also speculation later in the thread that a big pile of 1000's of CPUs came out of a super computer that was being reworked.

Reactions: 4004

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I know the company I work for more or less standardised on the 5670 for high performance servers.
Ok it's only hundreds of them coming of lease or end of life but I can't imagine we are unique. (And that's commercial IT, we did also use them I think in some HPC clusters)

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I know the company I work for more or less standardised on the 5670 for high performance servers.
Ok it's only hundreds of them coming of lease or end of life but I can't imagine we are unique. (And that's commercial IT, we did also use them I think in some HPC clusters)
I'm sure this is some of it, but if all the processors are coming from decommissioned servers, there should be a lot of motherboards out there too. There is no glut of cheap LGA2011 motherboards. In fact used motherboards, even x79 boards are $$$. The supercomputer story would explain why there's so many more processors than platforms to put them in.

I hope the E5-2667 v2 suffers a similar fate.

Reactions: pgh5278

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I decided to go back and read the first ~50 pages of the thread that I hadn't read before and there is no answer. Near the start of the thread there was speculation that Facebook, Google, etc dumped a bunch of servers at the same time causing a big oversupply of them. There was also speculation later in the thread that a big pile of 1000's of CPUs came out of a super computer that was being reworked.
And you have your answer :)

Large companies with a lot of old servers, and numerous super computers use/d these CPUs

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm sure this is some of it, but if all the processors are coming from decommissioned servers, there should be a lot of motherboards out there too. There is no glut of cheap LGA2011 motherboards. In fact used motherboards, even x79 boards are $$$. The supercomputer story would explain why there's so many more processors than platforms to put them in.

I hope the E5-2667 v2 suffers a similar fate.
People on this forum were buying racks at a time full of 2011 hardware... there's some of it in pieces too that pops up here and there.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Maybe easier to sell cpu,memory,disks that you can test one by one than complete systems as well.
Some company won't sell disks, we could not sell a board with the iLo license installed as its our company wide key. May just be easier to pull the cpu's and ram at the end.

And I bet a lot is OCP boards are just not wanted by most people.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
Hmm. I just realized under 100% load my E5's are only hitting 2.97, instead of 3.1. Anyone else notice the same?