Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Finally got all the parts in and mine is coming together.

I'm using a Supermicro CSE-732I-500B I picked up off eBay for $100 delivered. The X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD fit perfectly, all the mounting holes lined up. The 500w PSU wasn't suitable since it lacked a second 8 pin connector. So back to eBay to roll the dice once more. I found a Lenovo Thinkstation D30 PSU that looked like it would work for $43 with free shipping. It works perfectly. I had to modify the harness slightly to get the 4pin connector to reach but didn't have to cut and slice so all is well. At 1120w, I think this is beefier than anything SM offers in their tower cases. If you're looking for a Dually PSU, this one works. :)

Reactions: spazoid

Feb 8, 2016
Fritz,
Hoping this helps. Molex to 8 pin adapter link below. Extender 4 pin and 8 pin cables are to be found as well.

6"Server Motherboard 8pin EPS12V~Dual Molex 4pin Power Supply Adapter Cable/Wire

PS
Finally got all the parts in and mine is coming together.

I'm using a Supermicro CSE-732I-500B I picked up off eBay for $100 delivered. The X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD fit perfectly, all the mounting holes lined up. The 500w PSU wasn't suitable since it lacked a second 8 pin connector. So back to eBay to roll the dice once more. I found a Lenovo Thinkstation D30 PSU that looked like it would work for $43 with free shipping. It works perfectly. I had to modify the harness slightly to get the 4pin connector to reach but didn't have to cut and slice so all is well. At 1120w, I think this is beefier than anything SM offers in their tower cases. If you're looking for a Dually PSU, this one works. :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Fritz - that is very similar to my last one - and current (albeit current is V3 based.) My May 2015 Workstation Build

One thing I do is get Seasonic PSUs that turn off the fan at idle. They work fine in that case, have the second 8-pin and are really quiet. I think the new workstation is using: Amazon.com: Seasonic ATX12V / EPS12V 660 Power Supply SS-660XP2: Computers & Accessories which has been great.

Also, if you get a chance I believe in front of the PCIe cards there is a spot for a 120mm fan. I would get a quiet PWM fan for that. It will keep your LSI chip cool as well as all of the fun expansion cards.

Reactions: Fritz

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
You guys are killing me :p

I have been watching and reading this thread since I joined the site, but over the last month, as things appear to be heating up in the race to the bottom price war that seems to be happening around these chips, I have been trying to justify why my Plex server needs 2 CPU's and an X9 board. I keep telling myself it is because one day my Plex server is going to need 10Gbps networking, my storage solution will need 64GB of ram and I need more expansion slots, so obviously I'll need to be ready for the upgrade ;)

The wife disagrees, she says the TV plays "just fine" as is, so I don't need it. I think I have missed something out of my upgrade plan :D

Reactions: yoyostile

DoeBoye

Feb 24, 2016
I looked at that one, but I ended up buying a converter for the 6-pin PCI-e to 8-pin EPS for my dual board. My PSU had 4 of the PCI-e cables, so it made more sense for me. If you have an extra one, it might be better than splitting the EPS line.

Athena Power Cable-PCI6EPS428 6" PCI-E Converter - Newegg.com

EDIT: $12.49 from Newegg, or if you look below the Newegg 'add to cart', you can get it for 6.99 from a reseller

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks Patrick. I will be adding another fan. I have a couple of 140mm but this case only takes 120mm so off to Newegg I go. I decided to cut out the notch in the back of a PCIe slot to accommodate my GTX 790 and proceeded to mangle the last two pins and render the slot unusable. :(
I then cut a notch in the video card and that worked. Good thing this board has more slots than I need. :eek:

Another couple of hours and I'll be ready to go live. I'm impressed that SM had Win 7 drivers available for this board. Can't see any reason why they would but I'm glad they did.

I was going to go with a Seasonic when I ran across the Lenovo. A 1120w PSU for $43 delivered was worth taking a chance on. So far so good. :p

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
You guys are killing me :p

I have been watching and reading this thread since I joined the site, but over the last month, as things appear to be heating up in the race to the bottom price war that seems to be happening around these chips, I have been trying to justify why my Plex server needs 2 CPU's and an X9 board. I keep telling myself it is because one day my Plex server is going to need 10Gbps networking, my storage solution will need 64GB of ram and I need more expansion slots, so obviously I'll need to be ready for the upgrade ;)

The wife disagrees, she says the TV plays "just fine" as is, so I don't need it. I think I have missed something out of my upgrade plan :D

You need to let her know that the TV doesn't handle 4k movie playback in full 9.1 surround sound. Therefore, you need all this to prepare for when it happens and what better time to save tons of money than doing it right now! After all you are just trying to make sure she's happy.

Reactions: pricklypunter

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
HOORAY !!!!!

I'm up and running. It's been a long day but all in all things worked out pretty good. Other than me destroying a slot that is. The board has been rock solid. I'm getting a 2006 CB so this rig is blowing anything I've had previously (and presently clean out of the water. My boot drive is a S3500 480g and I've got a couple of spinners in the box for storage. Total memory is 64gb. And best of all, it's almost totally silent. CPU temps are about 50c. I do plan to add another fan and maybe replace the rear fan, It doesn't seem to be moving much air. Can't run Windows Experience index, seems that 64gb is too much and it chokes when it starts to measure mem performance. No biggy because it's a meaningless benchmark anyway.

Reactions: Patrick

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Just to throw my hat in the ring... picked up 2x of these for $63 from Stalliontek a few days ago, they just arrived today. Picked up a Supermicro dual CPU board from [H] (seems the user is registered here, too, though :)).

Hoping to get built this weekend. Will be a NAS/Plex server/maybe HTPC for bedroom PC, if I can figure out the virtualization aspect... :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just to throw my hat in the ring... picked up 2x of these for $63 from Stalliontek a few days ago, they just arrived today. Picked up a Supermicro dual CPU board from [H] (seems the user is registered here, too, though :)).

Hoping to get built this weekend. Will be a NAS/Plex server/maybe HTPC for bedroom PC, if I can figure out the virtualization aspect... :D
We welcome [H]'ers!

Reactions: workingnonstop

Xopie

Feb 25, 2016
Found this thread recently + decided to sign up :)

Have UK prices followed the same trend?

I'm tempted to pick something up, but at this stage I guess this is just a hello!

Cheers