Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
Keep an eye out for Thinkstation D30 barebones. They will pop up on ebay for cheapish occasionally.

Right now you can pick up a complete D30 with 128gb of RAM, dual E5 2670 for around $1200 which is pretty solid.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
I'd be afraid to use the OCZ. They don't have the best PSU reliability any more.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
How big of a power supply would you recommend for a dual 2670 setup? I currently have a "gaming" psu (ocz fatal1ty 550W) but it only has one 8 pin + one 4 pin CPU conector (could use Amazon.com: StarTech 6in 4 Pin to 8 Pin EPS Power Adapter with LP4 - F/M (EPS48ADAP): Computers & Accessories bt aint sure if its safe for such a high end pc)
Based on my server with dual cpu you would be ok if it's high quality (Is OCZ considered quality ?) and did not have many drives to spin up or big video cards etc. Somebody had a systems with SM MB idling at approx 90 watts which is a lot less than the 2u servers I have. (They idle closer to 200 and peak I have ever seen is about 350)

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
I wouldn't skimp on power supply. I can't tell you how many issues I had with my Asus KFNS4-DRE dual Opteron boards with a sub-par power supply. Took a while to figure out why they were rebooting under load. Doh...

Of course, these Xeons are much less power hungry than old Barcelona procs.

mathab

Feb 15, 2016
I'd be afraid to use the OCZ. They don't have the best PSU reliability any more.
I've had it for about 7 years ._. but never load it this much

Based on my server with dual cpu you would be ok if it's high quality (Is OCZ considered quality ?) and did not have many drives to spin up or big video cards etc. Somebody had a systems with SM MB idling at approx 90 watts which is a lot less than the 2u servers I have. (They idle closer to 200 and peak I have ever seen is about 350)
2x 2670
GTX 980
1x SSD
2x HDDs

I wouldn't skimp on power supply. I can't tell you how many issues I had with my Asus KFNS4-DRE dual Opteron boards with a sub-par power supply. Took a while to figure out why they were rebooting under load. Doh...

Of course, these Xeons are much less power hungry than old Barcelona procs.
Just when I thought it would be a very cheap and easy upgrade... :(

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Try it and see, run prime95 and some graphics stress test at the same time, check the power draw and see if it's stable. No harm to try really.

Reactions: mathab

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Some time back, I found a decent deal on BNIB Chenbro RM13604's for 65 dollars shipped, so I bought a few.

I took a bit of a gamble with the X9DRW (being "proprietary WIO"), and I was pleasantly surprised to see all the mount points line up.
The Proprietary WIO board is decently priced online but its a gamble after that getting a case for it. Those 1Us went up in price and I don't see many on eBay.

I don't wanna be stuck with the board and can't find a case that aren't priced well. You have any idea on stand off layout to see what else the motherboard could fit in... Or is it because the motherboard holes are in different spots?

At this point I can just get any 1U or 2U and drill my own I guess.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
What's the cheapest dual mobo for these?

I'm building an encoding box, so I don't need all the bells and whistles.

OliG

Feb 21, 2016
Right now, "bells and whistles" IS the dual lga2011...

I was also looking at thoses boards recently, and the prices are artificially high due to the ridiculous amount one need to give for a pair of E5-2670. Just as an example, newegg is selling Supermicro X9 boards for more than the X10 serie.

Look on ebay, the cheapest right now seems to be non-supermicro boards (intel / asrock /asus / tyan) that can be had for around 250$.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
How big of a power supply would you recommend for a dual 2670 setup? I currently have a "gaming" psu (ocz fatal1ty 550W) but it only has one 8 pin + one 4 pin CPU conector (could use Amazon.com: StarTech 6in 4 Pin to 8 Pin EPS Power Adapter with LP4 - F/M (EPS48ADAP): Computers & Accessories bt aint sure if its safe for such a high end pc)
I came across this PSU calculator whilst surfing the web (though PSU manufacturers may say you need a higher wattage to sell you a unit?):

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Just some info for anyone who has interest connecting audio to one of their boards. I had initially tried the speaker out on my X9DAE and found it to be HORRIBLE. Basically a ton of electronic background noise. The computer does have an optical out so I purchased a DAC to convert the signal to RCA. Problem solved!

My additional DIMMS arrived as well. No issues. Pretty happy with this config now that it is all said and done.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
BTW for desktop folks. Thermaltake F51 works well if you can use plastic standoffs or drill holes. Apparently Nanoxia DS5 works too (without standoffs) but is also more expensive $170 vs $99. The Noctua heat sinks are nice but also cost as much as the CPU!

Also, I've had a good experience so far with EVGA as a power supply their models have an ECO mode and to be honest I don't think the PSU fan even turns on unless the system is drawing load.

mathab

Feb 15, 2016
BTW for desktop folks. Thermaltake F51 works well if you can use plastic standoffs or drill holes. Apparently Nanoxia DS5 works too (without standoffs) but is also more expensive $170 vs $99. The Noctua heat sinks are nice but also cost as much as the CPU!
Also EVGA's got very good reviews and are not that expensive (currently some offers on amazon) compared to other similar PSUs

Also, I've had a good experience so far with EVGA as a power supply their models have an ECO mode and to be honest I don't think the PSU fan even turns on unless the system is drawing load.

Thats why I'm planning to use CM hyper 212, not you can't beat the performance of them for the price.

Reactions: Patrick

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Any recommendations on a 4u compatible cooler that will also fit for dual socket setup?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Also EVGA's got very good reviews and are not that expensive (currently some offers on amazon) compared to other similar PSUs

Thats why I'm planning to use CM hyper 212, not you can't beat the performance of them for the price.
Any recommendations on a 4u compatible cooler that will also fit for dual socket setup?

SuperMicro Active HSF 4U compatible unit is the best IMHO for the $$ the Hyper 212 work but are of lower quality, and will allow the chips to get hotter. The 212 also require more room.

I run the SM unit in my desktop/tower on the ground next to me with the side panel off currently and it's dead silent, I had run the Hyper 212 before, and didn't want to deal with putting it back on, or running 2 fans when 1 SM unit would do 100% and simpler to install.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
SuperMicro Active HSF 4U compatible unit is the best IMHO for the $$ the Hyper 212 work but are of lower quality, and will allow the chips to get hotter. The 212 also require more room.

I run the SM unit in my desktop/tower on the ground next to me with the side panel off currently and it's dead silent, I had run the Hyper 212 before, and didn't want to deal with putting it back on, or running 2 fans when 1 SM unit would do 100% and simpler to install.
AKA SNK-P0050AP4