Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Silly side question but what are everyone's thoughts on using (or not) the included heatsink thermal compound? Use it/leave as is or clean off and re-apply arctic silver?
I normally clean it off and re-apply, but the Supermicro paste looked awesome so I installed it as is... until I ripped it back apart to try to solve the B7 issue. Now, I'm using Artic Silver.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've always used the machine-applied compound on SM heatsinks for first installations. I think the perfectly distributed consistent thickness with no air-holes, etc, of the machine application outweighs any thermal performance advantages from something like Arctic Silver (after all - most of, most of the time, are not overclocking/overvolting).

For re-installs anytime I remove the heatsink I will clean it all up and apply AS5.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah that was my take as well, looked soo pretty/evenly applied in a square pattern that I didn't mess w/ it.

YMMV I suppose.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ohh and I'm gonna chime in here on heatsinks, DO NOT get the SNK-P0048PS passive heatsink, BIGGEST POS/waste of $ I've spent in awhile as they CANNOT keep cpu temps under control, even added 4 noctua NF-R8 PWN fans and they don't seem to be resolving the issue, gonna have to replace the heatsink w/ a SNK-P0048AP4 active heatsink I have on hand as the passive one makes my system all sorts of angry when temps climb to 95-99C with case lid on (lid off right now freaking silly!)

Also have two Dynatro R14's I have heard good things abt from @T_Minus that I figured I'd give a try while I am attempting to spend as much on stupid heatsinks as I have on procs.

GRRRR...NOT happy!
A boat ain't the only hole you can throw your money into.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I always have used the pre-applied unless I have to re-apply in which case up until 2014 I used Artic Silver.

Now I use GELID GC-Extreme as it's the only paste that I've found on multiple sites/reviews to show lower temps than artic silver. There are other pastes that show this on multiple sites/reviews too but they're either 1. more expensive or 2. a pain to deal with/mess or 3. conduct electricity. Gelid isn't cheap but I have 0 complaints after migrating from artic silver.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
This was my exact issue. If you mean the last blue and last black DIMMs closest to the North edge of the board. Humor me and try a different power supply. Mine just worked after I switched. It makes me wonder if one of my parts don't play well with the sine wave power on a newer power supply (grasping at straws here).
Tried with a new power supply, same symptoms exist. I ordered the set of 1.35v RAM direct from the SM compatibility list, going to wait to see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work perhaps I will spring for one of those $70 2670's you posted ...

In the meantime I'm going to start building the system out with 6 x 8GB and see if can detect any other issues with the board. For now I'm going to hold off on cracking open the sealed package from NewEgg ... must resist.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Well, motherboard showed up today. Good news, it looks like no bent pins in either socket since it had heatsinks bolted down on each. Bad news, it was literally wedged sideways in a box that was way too big, wrapped in a few turns of bubble wrap. Also looks like it took a whack on one of the heatsinks as it has a bunch of bent fins. I'll be amazed if this thing POSTs, but won't be able to to test till my power supply arrives.
Same seller as the one I bought from? Can't remember the name right now.

If anyone's wondering I'm being cross shipped 5 boards lol in 5 separate packages... Hilarious.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just posted my 2nd systems mobo that just arrived w/ 64 GB memory, other node had 128, will have to VMotion VM's and shut that guy down, rob 4 more DIMM's, boot back up, VMotion back, shutdown this new system, add 4 more dimms to be sure, looking good so far though.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
As a sidenote, the other weird thing I have found with this X9SRL-F motherboard is that it loops through the BIOS screen twice everytime it boots. Also, when I have changed the priority to use a PCIe slot for graphics, I don't see the BIOS screen at all until Windows starts up. Is this common for others that have Supermicro motherboards?
My X9SRL-F does that too. Guy I bought it from on ebay told me that its the reason he is selling them. But it just loops twice and then starts booting, so not a big deal when using it in server.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@marv I have a board or two that loops twice and then boots, also from SuperMicro but 2P boards. Never any issue, just some extra beeps :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
New system baking in, so far w/ SNK-P0048AP4 active heatsink on new sys I have not seen it above 55C and I am murderin' it right now w/ lot of sVMotion activity...VERY NICE! I guess I should be kicking myself in the arse for trying the passive heatsink on a non-SM chassis w/out the air shroud.

Guess it's time to swap out passive tonight while I am monkeying arnd w/ memory on that first node of mine.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
That's a pretty sweet VMware setup you have now :)
Ohh it's always been sweet, but memory limited, now I am in RAM/horsepower heaven :-D

Just gotta see if I can stomach the pwr bill and light up that third node otherwise I may have to retire vSAN which would honestly break my heart.

I think I voiced my concerns initially abt the uplift in regards to pwr coming from 3 node 69W TDP chips to 3 node 115W TDP chips. Sitting at 3 AMP now on monitored PDU w/ 2 nodes lit up now which is where I was at before w/ 3 nodes so that kinda tells the story...I be forkin over another $10 or so per month to run a 3rd node of these, no biggie, I'll deal but when I see Xeon D @ 35W TDP I do get a lil sad. Not quite in the same performance envelop as these but not far off.

Reactions: rubylaser

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Same seller as the one I bought from? Can't remember the name right now.

If anyone's wondering I'm being cross shipped 5 boards lol in 5 separate packages... Hilarious.
Yup, same one. Guess we'll see what happens when the PS shows up tomorrow.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yup, same one. Guess we'll see what happens when the PS shows up tomorrow.
When I was dealing with the dude who runs their ebay division, he said most of the boards were packed by an inexperienced guy who just started there, the way he described him was hilarious to be honest but it was a bit cruel. So hopefully they got someone else to do the packing.

But yes, I have a similar experience, wrapped in pretty thin bubble wrap with all the boards just kind of floating on top of each other in an oversized box.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well this is nice, so I replaced the passive heatsink w/ the active one and now like clockwork every 5 secs it ramps up real high, then slows down for 5 secs, rinse/repeat ENDLESSLY....OMG I'm losing my mind hah

Checked IPMI fan settings, set to 'Set Fan to Standard Speed' same as my other system that is NOT doing this, it's keeping CPU nice and cool but holy hell is that loud/annoying. Could it really be the difference between 2U/4U chassis?

SNK-P0048AP4_fan_going_nuts.png

Color me perplexed. Temps are nice and frosty down from 80-95C to 40-50C or so now LOL

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well this is nice, so I replaced the passive heatsink w/ the active one and now like clockwork every 5 secs it ramps up real high, then slows down for 5 secs, rinse/repeat ENDLESSLY....OMG I'm losing my mind hah

Checked IPMI fan settings, set to 'Set Fan to Standard Speed' same as my other system that is NOT doing this, it's keeping CPU nice and cool but holy hell is that loud/annoying. Could it really be the difference between 2U/4U chassis?

View attachment 1510

Color me perplexed. Temps are nice and frosty down from 80-95C to 40-50C or so now LOL
I've never seen that in my systems or testing... are the temps spiking up and down? Possible bad wiring/lose wire?

Normaly the only thing I see is fans 100% if I disconnect one during usage :D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Nah, temps arent spiking up/down, it's plugged into the rear/near I/O shield fan header, looks snugly plugged in. Weird, I gotta solve this as THIS will drive me nuts, the 5/sec ramp up, 5/sec off thing seems to have normalized a bit, not as consistent anymore but it is still occasionally, few times per min ramping up for 5 secs then backing off to near quiet.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
BOOM, just wrapped RAM swap, all 8 dimm slots w/ 128GB memory read between both systems I have built now! woohooo NO BAD PROC! Guess I shall have an extra/backup 2670v1 proc sitting around on the parts shelf for that $70 deal I splurged on earlier today. If they drop lower I am gonna turd myself!

Gettin' closer! Now if I could just silence/calm down this batsh|t insane active heatsink fan on the SNK-P0048AP4.

EDIT: I dunno how the hell this happened because I SWEAR I was logged in as an admin level user through IPMI, logged back in w/ ADMIN and sure as sh|t it was set to 'Set Fan to Full Speed', set back to 'Set Fan to Standard Speed', calmed down for a bit/better (only ramping up a couple times per minute now)...walk away, come back, it's going nuts again, login to IPMI again and the damn thing reset/flip-flopped back to 'Set Fan to Full Speed'

WTF? HA

Set back to Standard Speed, let's see how long it sticks before it just goes and changes itself. Screwy!

Sure wish there was a 'Set fan to Low Speed and LOCK' option! Temps NEVER climb above 60C when all this nonsense is happening.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Figured I'd throw up a linux-bench (ubuntu LTS 14.03/vSphere 6.0U1 VM)

Unloaded ALL VM's other than this linuxbench VM and a 2vcpu/8gb ram AIO VT-d'ed OmniOS VM that HAD to stay. (pretty much had host all to itself but was NOT running physical/bare-metal Linux)

VM specs:
Virtual Socket - 1
Cores per Socket - 8
4GB vRam

Linux-Bench Linux CPU Benchmarks by ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz

linuxbench-2670v1-1socket-8core-VM.png

Pretty HOT! Who wants to see a 2 socket/16 core VM burn-in? :-D

$70 proc for those numbers/horsepower...ALL DAMN DAY LONG, thank you sirs!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubylaser