Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Patrick, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jrdnlc

jrdnlc Member

My server is running great under Unraid. Got a couple VMs running too

Ended up going with dual 2780's since I got them for $150 the pair.

Anyone else here running unraid?

2. Dhiru

Dhiru Member

That's a steal. The prices are increasing and 2670 duals are now available for $200.

3. J--

J-- Active Member

I dislike unRAID for several reasons.

1). You MUST boot from a USB thumb drive. They store the license key on this, and uses the serial number on the USB drive to validate key authenticity. Uhh, no thanks.
    2). It's paid, but offers no real advantage over what already free out there. If you want their model of non-striped parity, SnapRAID is a much better option.
    3). No dual parity. This is a deal breaker. Most drives fail when rebuilding arrays, no support for multiple parity drives is a non-starter for me.

I'm running Proxmox VE, which I see no downsides to as compared to unRAID. It supports ZFS RAID mirrored boot drives, which is much preferable to a single thumb drive (with literally the lowest quality NAND memory you can buy). It's free. It runs SnapRAID if you want to do non-striped parity. It runs KVM/QEMU just like unRAID (which is what popularized unRAID in the first place, even though it wasn't their work to begin with). It supports whatever filesystem you'd like, ZFS is much more robust and has much better performance options if you want it.

kroem and Fritz like this.
  4. poto

poto Active Member

Dual-parity added with v6.2, fyi.

5. 5mall5nail5

5mall5nail5 Member

I know this OT but saying "most drives fail when rebuilding arrays" is very misleading. I work with many different array configurations and even have some 75+ TB RAID5 arrays because the client needs as much space as possible and doesn't care about availability necessarily... and we've replaced failed disks in that unit without issue and that's a massive RAID5 span of ~3TB SATAs. I know what you're going for, but saying "most drives fail during rebuild" is extremely misleading.

Fritz likes this.
  6. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

In my humble experience, I concur. I've rebuilt the arrays in my 2 FreeNAS boxes several times as I shuffle drives around and have never had a failure during rebuilding. I originally started out with several WD Greens in the arrays and then decided I didn't want them in there. As I recall, there were 8 of them. They were all replaces over the span of a couple of weeks.

7. CreoleLakerFan

CreoleLakerFan Active Member

I think "most drive failures occur when rebuilding arrays" is more accurate.

8. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

UnRAID just works right out of the box. No messy configs, no having to dig through underlying code, no mystery on how to do things, it's the Apple of home NAS/SAN devices. It's simple, flexible, and does the job for most of the people who want to slap a bunch of disks together, hit a few buttons, and off they are running.

I've used UnRAID since the 4.x days, I tried FreeNAS and Xpenology, in the end I emailed Tom telling him "I'm sorry I left, i lost my key can I have another one?" and he sent me my new license on my new key.

Having the license and file on a USB drive is a non-issue, hell I know PBX's that have the same functionality.
    "What if the USB drive breaks/dies/fractures/fails" - Make sure you have a backup! Not rocket surgery.

9. 5mall5nail5

5mall5nail5 Member

Disagree again - I could pull ticket history of large RAID50 and RAID5 arrays failing in use, and rebuilding 100% fine w/ over 24 disks in a span.

Flintstone likes this.
  10. BackupProphet

BackupProphet Well-Known Member

I have already lost data because of single parity. I will never choose it again.

J-- likes this.
  11. unclerunkle

unclerunkle Active Member

As usual in life, I think the truth here lies somewhere in between. A lot here depends on the disk type and usage. Obviously, enterprise drives will fare better than consumer. Likewise, enterprise drives in light use are unlikely to fail during a rebuild. However, lightly used consumer drives when presented with a rebuild are more likely to fail.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it also explains how you both can be right.

12. BackupProphet

The problem people ignores is that if one block is screwed during rebuild, you may not get a consistent filesystem when the rebuild is done. With double parity you at least have the change to reconstruct that damaged block.

After 7 years with ZFS, I've seen plenty of damaged blocks. And every time I see them I wonder how someone can trust filesystems like NTFS, EXT4 or propritary raid.

13. 5mall5nail5

5mall5nail5 Member

There is no substitute for backing up or replicating data. You can have RAIDZ3. Or, you can use NetApps new RAID-TEC. It doesn't matter. If you lose enough pieces of equipment you will lose data. The point is, there's a place for everything. I have a client with 75TB of RAID5 storage because they need as much staging area as possible - it's not super long retention data. Haven't had an issue rebuilding it. I have clients with RAID50, RAID6, RAID10, RAID-DP, and RAID-TEC in all sorts of varying pool sizes... they all have different purposes.

14. heathen

heathen Member

15. BackupProphet

The problem here is that you have no idea if something has gone wrong. In extreme cases you may have backup of corrupted data, you just dont know it yet. 75TB running raid5 is more an experiment than best practise.

If you need cost effective storage, you should take a look on Ceph where you can have erasure coding with for example 24 shards where 3 of them are parity blocks. Rebuild times should be a lot better than a similar setup with traditional raid.

heathen likes this.
  16. ealvar

ealvar Member

What's a 2780?

17. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, must meant 4780. :confused:

18. whitey

whitey Moderator

Back on topic, wondering why we went down a rathole of RAID discussions for so long in this thread? Good stuff but out in left field for this thread :-D

19. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

@whitey ... It all started from a simple question from @jrdnlc. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. jrdnlc

jrdnlc Member

I meant E5-2680 cpu's.