Intel Xeon E5-2665 spicy for $260

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Got 2 of the Xeon E5-2665. I'll see if they will work in an Asus Z9PE-D8. The dual socket board supplies the four Titan's with PCI 3.0 x16 connectors each - the P9X79WS board runs out of PCIe lanes (4 times x8 lanes).

Should be a simple swap:
Andy
OMG, I've seen the light, I must head towards it.
Thats simply awesome GPU power
Solitaire must play really well :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Been thinking about doing that swap myself Andy. Then again, I do like my Core i7-3930k quite a bit.

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
Solitaire must play really well :D
:)
.... and checkers too ....

Still looking for a GPU update to MS Decathlon ;)

Seriously,
the system "needs" more I/O bandwidth and a Xeon CPU (for one specific reason).

One Titan connected to a x16 slot can transfer approx. 11 GB/sec over the PCI Express connector. If connected to a x8 slot, the speed goes down to 5,5 GB/sec.
With a 5,5 GB/sec transfer speed, one full transfer of the GDDR RAM which is 6 GB, takes approx 1 sec - an eternity when a lot of CUDA cores are waiting for new data.

Another "limitation" is the aggregated bandwidth. All 4 cards have an aggregated bandwidth of 22 GB/sec on the X79 platform. While this looks like only 50-60% of the total available memory bandwidth the LGA2011 socket has, the i7-3930K CPU misses a critical capability of the Xeons. It doesn't have the Data Direct functionality.

Basically, all I/O operations writing to main memory must preserve memory consistency, which is done via writing through the cache. Writing 1 GB of I/O data through a 10-20 MB cache basically invalidates all cache data the CPU thought might be useful for future usage. Bad luck. It has to get its data from main memory again - which is significantly slower than reading from the cache. The performance of the i7 tanks as it doesnt get data fast enough. The SB Xeon's circumvent this bottleneck by splitting the cache. Only a part of the cache will be used for this fast I/O into main memory and the remaing part of the cache can still serve the CPU's desire for data.

Andy

Last edited:

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
Been thinking about doing that swap myself Andy. Then again, I do like my Core i7-3930k quite a bit.
What's holding you back then ? :)

The i7-3930K is a great CPU, but the difference between the XEON version of SB vs. the desktop comes to effect when high I/O rates are in there. I've stripped my dual E5-2687W workstation to a single socket with 64 GB to compare it to the i7/X79/64GB system. When 16 fast SSDs like the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro are pumping data into the system, the overall performance advantage of the Xeon over the i7 is between 50 and 60% - higher than the 2 additional cores would impact the result. As long as the the CPU memory hierarchy isn't "disturbed" the performance difference is much less. The 8 Xeon cores have to share the same memory bandwidth like the 6 cores of the i7, so it doesn't scale linearily with big data sets in memory. If the computational density is high enough that most of the data sets come from cache, then it is almost a simple CPU counting game (as they have the same micro-architecture).

Cheers,
Andy

klree

Mar 28, 2013
got a 60W hex core. Just FYI they are ES, my Asus P9X79 Deluxe only work with BIOS version 1202 or before.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
got a 60W hex core. Just FYI they are ES, my Asus P9X79 Deluxe only work with BIOS version 1202 or before.
Which stepping?

And Andy - have a few things that I do that are single core bound where the higher clock speed helps. Can always remote desktop into dual CPU boxes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very interesting. I see C0/ C1 stepping chips up there. Wonder if that would change things.

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
Very interesting. I see C0/ C1 stepping chips up there. Wonder if that would change things.
Don't know what steppings my chips will be. But I will run it for a few hours with some SW with algorithmic error-detection. It doesn't prove that the chip is error free, at least it can correctly compute numbers ...

Andy

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like 4x more of the Intel Xeon E5-2665's got purchased (6 total now) with 10+ left. Wonder what the offer prices are. Overall prices lowered to $240 for those.