Intel Xeon E3-1220 for storage servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Nice job on the review, Patrick. http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e3-1220-sandy-bridge-benchmarks-review/

I have to agree, its an ideal CPU for media storage servers, for the AES-NI performance and for the video transcoding abilities, not to mention extra muscle for servicing VM's. While the CPU is already available, for me its a waiting game for Supermicro's X9 series based on the C204/C202. Definitely my next upgrade, going to finally retire my last two Socket 771 mobos.

EDIT: Looks like Supermicro X9SCM-F will be my next mobo, since its got 2 x SATA-III ports that my Crucial C300 and eventually Crucial C400's will be able to take advantage of as boot volumes.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I told Supermicro marketing last Friday that the X9SCM-F was going to be hugely popular.

Not sure if you know this, but I have a E3-1230 that will get reviewed/ posted next Mon-Wed, and I'm also looking at single and dual configs with the new E5606 CPUs. Lower clocked than the E3-1220, but you still get AES-NI, a huge upgrade path, and can put a whole lot more hardware to support the chip(s).

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I haven't really looked closely at the specs since Supermicro hasn't fleshed out pages on their site for those boards yet -- but the X9SCM will take the same memory as the X8SIL, right?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I haven't really looked closely at the specs since Supermicro hasn't fleshed out pages on their site for those boards yet -- but the X9SCM will take the same memory as the X8SIL, right?
Hint: Kingston has two X9SCL boards on their memory selector :) KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G is listed.

My experience is that the Xeon E3 is working with the same kits as the Xeon X34xx series thus far, but I do not have a C202 or C204 board in hand yet.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
that acmemicro link got posted somewhere else yesterday, i almost bought it but had some doubts about that site :) specifically return policy - don't want to end up with an old board and a headache. I'll wait till a Newegg or a Provantage get that board in.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
BTW Just as a FYI, I tried to get one of these to review a few weeks ago, and this is before I was told I might be able to get one. Not saying you cannot, but I am not sure if it will be a B3 board.

x9scm4me

Mar 9, 2011
BTW Just as a FYI, I tried to get one of these to review a few weeks ago, and this is before I was told I might be able to get one. Not saying you cannot, but I am not sure if it will be a B3 board.
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

I've got an x9scm-f on its way to me. Unfortunately it is on a slow boat from CA so it'll be tuesday before I get it (but it is coming!)
As best as I can tell it has been drop-shipped from supermicro (so I would assume it is a B3 board). This followed information from my vendor that supermicro said "The MBD is under IQC now. It will release whenever they pass testing."
Regardless, I do not anticipate ever using/needing the sata-II connectors.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

I've got an x9scm-f on its way to me. Unfortunately it is on a slow boat from CA so it'll be tuesday before I get it (but it is coming!)
As best as I can tell it has been drop-shipped from supermicro (so I would assume it is a B3 board). This followed information from my vendor that supermicro said "The MBD is under IQC now. It will release whenever they pass testing."
Regardless, I do not anticipate ever using/needing the sata-II connectors.
Mind making a thread here with your experiences? I am sure a lot of people would be interested.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
FML, I got an X9SCM and now all the Xeon E3 CPU's suddenly disappeared from Provantage. Up until yesterday they were showing stock for most of the models.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
? Odditory, where did you get one from? Did you purchase one through that AcmeMicro weblink?

Well, I ordered one as well and a Xeon E3 processor from Provantage a couple days back. However, I don't see shipping confirmation from Provantage, so it looks like I need to check up on that...

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Yes, AcmeMicro. I wonder what's going on with the Xeon E3's.. silent recall or something? nobody seems to have them. Hopefully Patrick chimes in on where he got his.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
I would agree with that silent recall idea. Everyone seems to be OOS. I'll wait to hear back from Provantage to see what's up with my order.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I did get my E3-1220 and E3-1230 from a mentioned online source.

Just as a FYI, the reason I posted the comments about the platform not being launched in my reviews is that I do know the platform is not supposed to be launched yet. That is why there is nobody else taking a look at these CPUs.

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
What is it that makes Sandy Bridge and X9SCM-F in particular suitable for a storage server as compared to e.g. X8SI6-F which has a built in SAS II controller?

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
Simply a newer chipset/platform. Plus if you have your own SAS controller, no need to have one integrated.

EDIT: Just looked at my Provantage order again - "The expected shipping date for this order is Monday, April 4, 2011." nice

I'm going to see who else I can get one from.

Last edited: