Intel Xeon E-2100 Series Launch SKUs and Value Analysis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
So there we have it: a Xeon E("3") with 6 cores and 12 thread. It's amazing what a bit of competition can do. I am slightly disappointed at the 16 CPU-based PCIe lanes; one would think that Intel could have upped that to 24 without stealing market share from their Xeon W line.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I am slightly disappointed at the 16 CPU-based PCIe lanes; one would think that Intel could have upped that to 24 without stealing market share from their Xeon W line.
Intel can't easily do that. Xeons E3 are historically based on the same dies and Socket than Core i5/i7, the main difference is just that they have enabled ECC RAM support. To add more I/O, they need new dies and Socket.

Also, check this Intel Ark comparison between the Xeon E2146G and the Core i7 8700. They are almost equivalent and at the same price segment, unlike the Xeon W where Intel put them at stupidly higher prices than the Core i7/i9 equivalent. I suppose that it may make the prospect of using a Xeon E and a C246 Motherboard with UDIMM ECC build not much more expensive than a equivalent consumer one, which is what typically I want to do.

Last edited:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I'd love to see some comparisons between the E-2100 chips and some of the low level Xeon Scalable chips, thinking Bronze/Silver for home server use.

I'm probably asking way too much, but it would be nice to be able to put together a N+1 Proxmox Cluster with Ceph with each node essentially being an AIO "brick" for home use. So some virtualisation, IoT & Network segmentation, containers, and multimedia transcoding, from a price perspective considering a 10G base networking speed (so perhaps if a network card is required as well).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@capn_pineapple whats the interest mostly, Performance or cost or capability ?
At 4 or 8 cores the d-2100 option looks good with only a few drives. Limited to 128gb ram easily where as the scalable systems are 192/256gb with the same 32gb dimms.
The d-2100 boards on flex-atx format have a heap of networking that’s not found on the scalable boards as much.

Heatsink and if you choose fan are included on the d-2100 as well.

As long as you don’t plan to grow I like the d-2100 solution, if you want to go beyond 8 cores then scalable has it.

Good news is scalable and d-2100 feature set are essentially identical even with cache size so you can really easily mix them in a cluster.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Any hope for xeon-flavor of upcoming 1151 i9 8core CPU and 32GB UDIMM modules support? Or we will have to wait til next refresh?
Could be nice upgrade of old DDR3 systems with 32GB ram support, but looks like Intel is aiming with this almost exclusively into workstation segment and ditching entry servers.

Reactions: Patrick