Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Seems to me like most of the sku's are getting to be more of a market-segment specific sku's. I can see a lot of vendors using these in their appliances.

But for homelab use, while their power consumption numbers are generally very good at least for me I'm finding an extremely long ROI (6+yrs) vs buying used higher end E5's used that use more power. Right now DDR4 dimms carry a significant price premium over DDR3....once those prices equalize, I could see a sub-24month ROI.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
But for homelab use, while their power consumption numbers are generally very good at least for me I'm finding an extremely long ROI (6+yrs) vs buying used higher end E5's used that use more power. Right now DDR4 dimms carry a significant price premium over DDR3....once those prices equalize, I could see a sub-24month ROI.
The driver in the home isn't the cost of power, IMO, it's less fan noise and lower heat load (which also tends to translate to better long term reliability). I simply don't want my house to sound/feel like a data center.

Reactions: icrf

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The driver in the home isn't the cost of power, IMO, it's less fan noise and lower heat load (which also tends to translate to better long term reliability). I simply don't want my house to sound/feel like a data center.
The heat doesn't hurt in northern climates but the noise, I know what you mean. With noise, avoid using 1U/2U chassis and fans will likely need to get swapped out with quieter models.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I think the bios will just check for the chip name i.e check if 1540 or 1520 or ends with 0 and disable, else enable SRIOV so that might be a way to hack a bios to enable it for first adopters, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I think the bios will just check for the chip name i.e check if 1540 or 1520 or ends with 0 and disable, else enable SRIOV so that might be a way to hack a bios to enable it for first adopters, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Intel does that alot .... like their wireless 7265 chip... they disabled hostednetwork (if you want to set your laptop as hotspot )with recent driver updates they disabled it and tells you the chip cannot do it, but it was working well for past 6 months or so.

I guessing it is more a business decision than a technical decision from intel not planning enable sr-iov on 1520/1540

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
As per Patrick last announcment I fail to understand then how was @EluRex capable of making the i350 eth work with SR-IOV on bios 1.0a then :s

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
Yes. That is why I find strange that they claim it is not supported.
I think SM has just disabled the option. But now with this custom BIOS one should be able to do it.

Hence the request to you or Jerry or whoever also made it work for the full steps so that I can possibly try it on this custom 1.0b

AmshTemp

May 28, 2015
If D15x1 is for storage, D15x8 is for network, then D15x7 is for what?

Edit: Just saw an Intel slide from another site; D15x7 are in the same category as D15x8, not D15x1.
So, D15x7 are also network optimized.

Last edited: