Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bamf

Aug 4, 2015
Thanks. I was feeling lazy when I asked you. The promise of making it work though made me do the 10 seconds of Google work necessary. Laziness conquered!

Thank you very much for the response though. I have it up and running now as well, and will be able to test what I need to tomorrow.

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
For those who have a xeon D (and linux with kernel > 3.9), does it support intel_pstate ?
It's a new power scaling driver for modern Intel CPUs (normally since Intel SandyBridge processors)

You can verify this with the command (it must return "intel_pstate" if support is ok):
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_driver​

a@ubuntukvm:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_driver

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

intel_pstate

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
so you have it enabled, just haven't tested a ping and got warnings about bandwidth?
Yes. that's it.

Basically I have tried to ping them but without success.
For those who were able to perform this with at least the 1Gb interfaces how did you do it?

Basically I created two ubuntu VMs cmd line only. Then attached one VF to each with the command:

a@ubuntukvm:~$ cat eth2.xml
<interface type='hostdev' managed='yes'>
<mac address='5c:01:fd:12:34:58'/>
<source>
<address type='pci' domain='0' bus='7' slot='16' function='1'/>
</source>
</interface>

sudo virsh attach-device ubuntu1 /home/a/eth2.xml --config

I can check them on the VMs, so they get attached, I provided them with an ip each (1.1.1.1/24 and 1.1.1.2/24) but no success with the ping.

Now some questions, with the config above:
1- Are we supposed to be able to ping VF's from different PF's ?
2- Are we supposed to be able to ping VF's from same PF?
3- Do we need to insert the VF's on some kind of bridge to allow connectivity?

Thanks!

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
Ok, just got the "official" answer from SM and you are not going to like it :f

"Hello,

Our product manager informed us that the X10SDV all released SKUs with D-1540 and D-1520 CPU onboard motherboards do not officially support SR-IOV, and therefore we cannot guarantee that this function will work without any issues.

That’s also the reason why this bios setting was removed."

!!!!

I have asked them again how is this possible since they have announced it as having the feature for example here on this press release:

Supermicro | News | Supermicro® Launches New Line of Low Power, High Density Server Solutions Supporting Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500

"X10SDV-F/-TLN4F – Mini-ITX Motherboard (6.7” x 6.7”) supports single Intel® Xeon® processor D-1540 SoC (8 core, 45W),VT-d/x, TXT, AES-NI, SR-IOV, Xeon RAS, built in 10GbE. 128GB 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM or 64GB UDIMM in 4x DIMMs, 6x SATA 3.0, 1x M.2 slot (M key for SSD, 2242/2280, PCIe3.0 x4), 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, Quad LAN ports with SoC dual 10GbE and I350-AM2 dual GbE (-F with dual GbE only), IPMI 2.0 with KVM and dedicated port, 0-60°C operating temperature, 4 pin 12V DC and ATX power source"

Let's see but I don't have my hopes high. If someone has a more direct contact at SM it would be nice to clear this up for once.

Tonight or tomorrow I will post the custom BIOS they sent, but use it at your own discretion. As it turns own it doesn't seem to be officially supported.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, just got the "official" answer from SM and you are not going to like it :f

"Hello,

Our product manager informed us that the X10SDV all released SKUs with D-1540 and D-1520 CPU onboard motherboards do not officially support SR-IOV, and therefore we cannot guarantee that this function will work without any issues.

That’s also the reason why this bios setting was removed."

!!!!

I have asked them again how is this possible since they have announced it as having the feature for example here on this press release:

Supermicro | News | Supermicro® Launches New Line of Low Power, High Density Server Solutions Supporting Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500

"X10SDV-F/-TLN4F – Mini-ITX Motherboard (6.7” x 6.7”) supports single Intel® Xeon® processor D-1540 SoC (8 core, 45W),VT-d/x, TXT, AES-NI, SR-IOV, Xeon RAS, built in 10GbE. 128GB 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM or 64GB UDIMM in 4x DIMMs, 6x SATA 3.0, 1x M.2 slot (M key for SSD, 2242/2280, PCIe3.0 x4), 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, Quad LAN ports with SoC dual 10GbE and I350-AM2 dual GbE (-F with dual GbE only), IPMI 2.0 with KVM and dedicated port, 0-60°C operating temperature, 4 pin 12V DC and ATX power source"

Let's see but I don't have my hopes high. If someone has a more direct contact at SM it would be nice to clear this up for once.

Tonight or tomorrow I will post the custom BIOS they sent, but use it at your own discretion. As it turns own it doesn't seem to be officially supported.
Patrick also got the similar response from Intel saying the same that intel does not support sr-iov on Xeon-D. SM false advertising big time on this product line this time.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
That's not good. I planned to use it in my AIO-Build.

Should I return the board (still got the 14-Day-Return Policy - Located in Germany) and get some other board?
Which is a solid alternative with up to 128 GB RAM?

Regards
Markus

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Patrick also got the similar response from Intel saying the same that intel does not support sr-iov on Xeon-D. SM false advertising big time on this product line this time.
Sounds more like a bug was found. It's happened before.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I find it interesting that if I were to purchase a D-1518 I would have to pay 35$ more than I would if I were to get a D-1520. The difference between the two is that the D-1520 supports turbo boost and has a slightly higher TDP (45W vs 35W of the D-1518).

Likewise comparing the D-1537 to D-1540 you lose 300 MHz on base and turbo frequencies for a mere 10$ saving and a 10W lower TDP.

The same goes with D-1548 and D-1540, as far as I can tell from the table, the two are identical except for a 94$ price increase.

I hope there are some extra features not shown in the article's table that add value, else it looks to me that Intel decided that the Xeon Ds were too cheap.

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
Also can anyone provide some help with #705 ? I am still trying to figure out if with the custom BIOS 1.0B which has SR-IOV I am able to find the correct SR-IOV configuration to check if it still works or not at least on the i350.

The Custom BIOS: X10SDVF5_909.zip
Once again use it at your own risk. This is not officially supported by SM.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I hope there are some extra features not shown in the article's table that add value, else it looks to me that Intel decided that the Xeon Ds were too cheap.
Check out the front page there are a couple of extra posts on them. Looks like network and storage acceleration have been added depending on the chip

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Also can anyone provide some help with #705 ? I am still trying to figure out if with the custom BIOS 1.0B which has SR-IOV I am able to find the correct SR-IOV configuration to check if it still works or not at least on the i350.

The Custom BIOS: X10SDVF5_909.zip
Once again use it at your own risk. This is not officially supported by SM.
Do you have ESXI?

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The same goes with D-1548 and D-1540, as far as I can tell from the table, the two are identical except for a 94$ price increase.

any 15x8 has quick assist library which is great for firewall/router... just dunno if they can be passed through