Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
You're right, just curious since he has reviewed previous systems from netgate.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Only question I would pose is why when you can BYO for significantly less with more juice under hood and place your own pdSense image on it, sm 503 chassis that a lot of folks use here looks like a similar formfactor.
SC505-203B is what that chassis looks like.

@neo maybe after I do these boxes. I may also wait until a 15x8 chip comes out.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Any thoughts on an ideal chassis for these SM boards. It's for an office so would like something quiet looking at either the Super server 5028D-TNT4 or silverstone cs01-hs

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
The holder was part of the kit, so I don't know for sure.

SuperMicro's site says:

Fan Cage MCP-320-81302-0B 40x28mm fan holder (may order two for dual fan configuration)

... But I'm not sure that this is correct since I'm pretty sure that it's actually a single piece in my case.

I think it's this one:

MCP-320-11101-0N
I was curious if anyone has verified the single or dual fan holder works and also can the shroud be bought separately because I can't find it anywhere. Your picture shows MCP-320-81302-0B but in looking on part sites it's not listed for sale.

icrf

Aug 5, 2015
Didn't Newegg used to have a link for reporting inaccuracies in the product description?

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
SMALL MIRACLE - four NVMe Intel 750s with Xenon D motherboard?

Karl G wrote earlier in this thread>"... I successfully tested bifurcation using a ARC1-PELY423 (also listed as a GH-PELY423) riser card. The riser isn't necessarily case specific, but you would need to check if it fits your case. For example, the ARC1-PELY423 doesn't fit the riser mounting bracket in the Travla TE1160 case, but can be used with the bracket removed. In that particular case, I would recommend making a bracket to keep the riser from working loose from the PCIe cards. ... bifurcation worked to split the Xenon D motherboard's single x16 gen 3 slot to two x8 gen 3 slots, and each of your two x8 cards were seen as separate two devices."

I was hoping to put together a Xeon D that booted Windows 7 using RAID-0 with two, maybe four, Intel 750 NVME SSDs.
I want office near silent operation.

Initially I thought KISS with Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ATX | 5028D-TN4T

My concern is HEAT and thermal throttling. Don't want these.
So what would you suggest?
1- Use the Supermicro case 5028D-TN4T
2- or perhaps the 1.5U chasis someone mentioned in this thread.
NeweggBusiness - ARK IPC-1.5U1525 Black 1.2mm SGCC 1U Rackmount Server Case
3- Use the riser card you said provided bifurcation with perhaps two of these PCI-e extender cables.
Amazon.com: PCIE 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex (Bitcoin Mining / Gaming): Computers & Accessories
4- Would I be more likely to control heat and avoid any thermal throttling with the 2.5 in Intel 750 or the PCI-e version? With the extender cables, I could mount either with Velcro, if necessary, somewhere in the chosen case.
5- The 5028D-TN4T case uses the D-1540 with fan mounted on to the CPU? Is this the way to go or do you think just the heatsink with ventilation provided by a suitable fan in the chasis/case chosen? Say the 1.5U case.
6- Do you think two of these would work to provide a FOUR 2.5 in NVME capability, using two SFF-8643 on the board below:
AOC-SLG3-2E4R - $149
The R version is the one without a PLX switch chip, which would hopefully work since Karl G wrote the the Intel D motherboard already had the smarts for bifurcation.

My goal is two, or perhaps four, NVMe devices in Raid-0, hopefully bootable and NO thermal throttling, and office quiet. Now that would be a small miracle!
Appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015

Karl G wrote earlier in this thread>"... I successfully tested bifurcation using a ARC1-PELY423 (also listed as a GH-PELY423) riser card. The riser isn't necessarily case specific, but you would need to check if it fits your case. For example, the ARC1-PELY423 doesn't fit the riser mounting bracket in the Travla TE1160 case, but can be used with the bracket removed. In that particular case, I would recommend making a bracket to keep the riser from working loose from the PCIe cards. ... bifurcation worked to split the Xenon D motherboard's single x16 gen 3 slot to two x8 gen 3 slots, and each of your two x8 cards were seen as separate two devices."

I was hoping to put together a Xeon D that booted Windows 7 using RAID-0 with two, maybe four, Intel 750 NVME SSDs.

Initially I thought KISS with Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ATX | 5028D-TN4T

3- Use the riser card you said provided bifurcation with perhaps two of these PCI-e extender cables.
Amazon.com: PCIE 16x to 16x Powered Flexible Riser Extender Cable with Molex (Bitcoin Mining / Gaming): Computers & Accessories
4- Would I be more likely to control heat and avoid any thermal throttling with the 2.5 in Intel 750 or the PCI-e version? With the extender cables, I could mount either with Velcro, if necessary, somewhere in the chosen case.
5- The 5028D-TN4T case uses the D-1540 with fan mounted on to the CPU? Is this the way to go or do you think just the heatsink with ventilation provided by a suitable fan in the chasis/case chosen? Say the 1.5U case.
6- Do you think two of these would work to provide a FOUR 2.5 in NVME capability, using two SFF-8643 on the board below:
AOC-SLG3-2E4R - $149
The R version is the one without a PLX switch chip, which would hopefully work since Karl G wrote the the Intel D motherboard already had the smarts for bifurcation.

My goal is two, or perhaps four, NVMe devices in Raid-0, hopefully bootable and NO thermal throttling, and office quiet. Now that would be a small miracle!
How do you plan to use two cards when there is only 1 card slot on the 5028 case? It would be nice to see someone create a M.2 to mini sas connector (more than 1) so we can plug in multiple 750 like devices without the use of the PCI slot.

Last edited:

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015

AOC-SLG3-2E4R - $149

Do you already have PCIe NVMe drives (sounds like you don't), or is 2.5" form factor an option?

From a couple of STH articles and other posts/threads, you should be able to cram up to five 2.5" NVME drives in the 5028D-TN4T (maybe even the 1RU 5018D-FN4T) as follows:

I think you'd have to pull out the backplane on the 5028D-TN4T and do some field modification, but there's a dremel bit for every situation. Full disclosure: I haven't tried this. I wish I was in a position to do so :D

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
How do you plan to use two cards when there is only 1 card slot on the 5028 case? It would be nice to see someone create a M.2 to mini sas connector (more than 1) so we can plug in multiple 750 like devices without the use of the PCI slot.
Davewolf, read Karl G post where he wrote>"... bifurcation worked to split the Xenon D motherboard's single x16 gen 3 slot to two x8 gen 3 slots, and each of your two x8 cards were seen as separate two devices."

Last edited:

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
Do you already have PCIe NVMe drives (sounds like you don't), or is 2.5" form factor an option?

From a couple of STH articles and other posts/threads, you should be able to cram up to five 2.5" NVME drives in the 5028D-TN4T (maybe even the 1RU 5018D-FN4T) as follows:

I think you'd have to pull out the backplane on the 5028D-TN4T and do some field modification, but there's a dremel bit for every situation. Full disclosure: I haven't tried this. I wish I was in a position to do so :D
mirculix wrote>"... Plug an AOC-SLG3-2E4 into the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, connect up to four NVMe 2.5" drives ..."

That card provides for two, not four, connected NVMe 2.5 in SSDs. The card has two, not four, SFF-8643 connectors.

The idea was to use the riser card, mentioned by Karl G, in the SINGLE x16 Intel D motherboard slot to provide for TWO AOC-SLG3-2E4R, x8 cards (the R version is less expensive, without the hopefully unneeded, PLX chip).
"... bifurcation worked to split the Xenon D motherboard's single x16 gen 3 slot to two x8 gen 3 slots, and each of your two x8 cards were seen as separate two devices."
Here is a link to the card Karl G said he used:
ARC1-PELY423-C7

Last edited: