Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
this is a great solution if there is mATX board
@NeverDie - I saw the non-10g board on supermicro. I think it's on the SoC. The only reason to get an E3 now other than you can actually buy them, is if you can deal with lower memory and fewer cores but want higher clock speeds. I'm loving this platform but I hope Supermicro announces SFP+ too. I'd also like to see a 3x 8 and x4 2.0 port too. Perfect mATX motherboard there.

I'm wondering how much the ASPEED BMC idle/ max takes versus the SoC.
I would prefer to see the mATX board with that config!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you @Paul Braren and others.

I am working to get preliminary numbers from platforms from at least two vendors by next week. Stay tuned. May also use this as an opportunity to launch Linux-Bench.com web viewer v2. I think it is ready now other than one small change (*cough* @Patriot that flag).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Chris - I will see what comes. So you have there a motherboard that costs about 1/3 to 1/4 what these will sell for and costs not much more than a nice quad port GbE NIC (which it has). I think that the C2000 series will get refreshed late 2015 which should be very interesting, but it does not solve the problems of today. These platforms I am guessing we will see out in April/ May.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I am very much looking forward to the successor to the C2000 platform.

It will be interesting to see what intel manages to cram onto the next ~25W processor, considering what they've just produced on the 45W platform.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been wanting to share this information for quite some time now. Fun to finally get to the release date.

@chinesestunna I am not 100% sure. I think they have a PHY that is swappable on a daughterboard. I do not have details yet on this one.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I have been wanting to share this information for quite some time now. Fun to finally get to the release date.

@chinesestunna I am not 100% sure. I think they have a PHY that is swappable on a daughterboard. I do not have details yet on this one.
If it is I think it would be wise for something for NGFF, or PCIe Storage as although it's cool to support new form factors, I honestly think saving space for the port + card overlay space on the PCB. While NGFF saves overall space in the system, I think a break out card that allows you to mount 3-4 units would be ideal in the long run.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone else holding out for a mITX board with the quad-core D1520 and embedded 10Gb network...? That'd be a game changer for most of my builds at any rate especially if it came in at under 500 notes...

Was worried when I saw the prices of the SM kit that the 10Gb networking was what had caused such ludicrous amounts of dollar signs, but according to this the quad-core is about a third of the price of the eight-core model.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Intel released the Intel Xeon D-1500 series (codename Broadwell-DE) today. Frankly, this is a huge release in the microserver segment.

Vendor Coverage
Also my Tom's IT Pro article: http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/intel-xeon-processor-soc-server,1-2490.html

More to come this week.
The quad core version at 20W including 10GbE is my new favorite NAS building block.

Reactions: capn_pineapple

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
so this lineup replace e5-24xx series...
Not really. The E5-2400 series was intended for higher density applications with more CPU/ memory per system.

More of an E3 replacement if anything, but I think we will still see a new E3 this year.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I agree, from looking at the ARK, these currently cap out at single socket so currently more against the the lower line or 1xxx series maybe.