Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hovering around 25W idle is pretty nice for an octoproc at 64GB of RAM. Is your pre-prod sample merely without the 10Gb BASE-T PHY or does it lack 10Gb networking entirely? If there's a mITX on the horizon that can idle with a 10Gb SFP under 35W I might have to brandish a large wad of currency and angrily wave them in the face of a sales rep demanding he desist in informing me of said product and relieve me of said paper post-haste.
This is the Supermicro X10SDV-F so it does not have the 10Gb PHY.

I am actually a bit shocked at the power consumption of the system under full load. TDP != power consumption, but I was surprised to see how off I was.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I am actually a bit shocked at the power consumption of the system under full load. TDP != power consumption, but I was surprised to see how off I was.
Just for kicks - if you have time - load up Windows bare metal and check the power draw running 16 threads of Prime95. Prime95 is tailored to maximize power use and heat by spinning a tight calculation look with near 100% cache hits - you probably can't drive CPU power higher with any other bench.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I know, I have not been this excited about new hardware tech in a long time. Let's hope prices are sane when supply finally kicks in.
Probably won't be sane as all you guys rush in and drive up demand! But seriously this is super impressive hardware and good indication where Intel is going to stave off competition from ARM in the low power market.
I was sad to see that it was beating the dual L5520 setup, I'm running L5630 and this little board is drawing same power full blast as my setup is idling...

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
hah you think that's bad the X5670 upgrade (from L5630s or 39's can't remember) I did a week or two back has my TV room about 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than it used to be
I think that's just inappropriate use case :D You should run the X5670s during winter and back to L chips during summer...

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I was expecting that on multi but wasn't expecting it to be that good single.

It kills the C2750 though. I'm excited as ever
I'm actually excited about the possibilities for the c2750 and its successors. For applications that don't need as much CPU, this should drive down the prices on that line and make it even easier to build very low power passive configurations, especially for things like network devices (firewall/router/vpn). Intel seems to be thinking the same way, unless there's another D-1500 variant with the quickassist feature.

Reactions: MiniKnight

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I wonder if the 10GigE makes a single storage server the dominant paradigm, and everything else runs diskless?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I wonder if the 10GigE makes a single storage server the dominant paradigm, and everything else runs diskless?
Depends on the workload. For anything data intensive, 10G is already the bottleneck. (That's the bandwidth of about 4 consumer SSDs.) For end user machines the answer could be yes except they're all mobile now.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I would love one of these to be able to virtualize pretty much everything I have at home. Storage server, Router (OpnSense), NMS (Cacti), PBX, etc.... Don't see myself getting one for a while though.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Nice performance on the main page! @ItsChrisG is that you on the LET forums (i was lurking)?

That other poster is missing the point. More VMs in a 1U because you're probably RAM limited. The 1gb one reviewed on the main site is like $800. So it's $200 more. By the time you add SSD, case and memory that $200 is less than the benefit you'd get from higher density.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Sweet! would love to get my hands on one of those to try it out as a render node on mini-ITX board with 64GB ram!!

processor cost seems reasonable at about $600, but I hope the mITX mobo will not be too pricey...

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
I'm actually excited about the possibilities for the c2750 and its successors. For applications that don't need as much CPU, this should drive down the prices on that line and make it even easier to build very low power passive configurations, especially for things like network devices (firewall/router/vpn). Intel seems to be thinking the same way, unless there's another D-1500 variant with the quickassist feature.
Well apparently, Facebook really likes the C2xxx series. They have it basically running all their storage and all their networking. They ended up using it to replace a lot of E3s where the additional power/performance of the E3s weren't needed. So I think the two lines will coexist for quite some time. While the D-1500 is more efficient, it is only more efficient if you actually need that much power. And a 14nm Avaton would be very efficient as well.

ItsChrisG

Feb 3, 2015
Nice performance on the main page! @ItsChrisG is that you on the LET forums (i was lurking)?

That other poster is missing the point. More VMs in a 1U because you're probably RAM limited. The 1gb one reviewed on the main site is like $800. So it's $200 more. By the time you add SSD, case and memory that $200 is less than the benefit you'd get from higher density.
Yup - thats me; the people who will cry and defend the E3 are the hosting providers who have huge stock of the E3's and selling them at the same price as a pair of socks now -- why? because they are going to be left with a glut of ALREADY de-valued servers (devalued by their OWN selling practices) that are going to be even FURTHER devalued now by the Xeon-D's.
I would be scared if I was them too, but IMO, they deserve all that they have coming.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Yup - thats me; the people who will cry and defend the E3 are the hosting providers who have huge stock of the E3's and selling them at the same price as a pair of socks now -- why? because they are going to be left with a glut of ALREADY de-valued servers (devalued by their OWN selling practices) that are going to be even FURTHER devalued now by the Xeon-D's.
I would be scared if I was them too, but IMO, they deserve all that they have coming.
I'd love to find an E3 for the price of a pair of socks.