Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Yup, that's the one. They were bought as barebones kits though so no assembly beyond adding RAM, DOM, 2.5" SSD, PCI-E SSD, and tape to keep the fan duct in place.
Mind sharing what PCIe SSD that is? Are you worried about airflow at all?

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
Yup, that's the one. They were bought as barebones kits though so no assembly beyond adding RAM, DOM, 2.5" SSD, PCI-E SSD, and tape to keep the fan duct in place.
How loud is that case? Not sure it'd work for cooling my X10SDV w/o a fan on the CPU heatsink... but maybe paired with a fan + zip ties.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
How loud is that case? Not sure it'd work for cooling my X10SDV w/o a fan on the CPU heatsink... but maybe paired with a fan + zip ties.
No idea, I haven't powered them on yet.

There's a fan under the shroud which ducts air across the CPU.

EDIT: Just powered one up. Not loud but a fairly irritating tone. Not sure if it's the PSU or CPU fan.

EDIT #2: Back from dinner. No fan settings in the BIOS, IPMI settings are as low as they go ("Standard").

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Three boxes built, racking tonight or tomorrow.

SuperMicro Xeon D-1540 - Album on Imgur
I seem to have forgotten that the 505-203B does not fit the board with the rear I/O panel. Pulled that off the unit I built this evening.

Using the 10G version with the fan. Will see how it works. Missing one 1U riser though :-/

I am worried about the 1.6TB P3600's not getting airflow. I think the Samsung 960GB 853T's will be fine though. The interesting part about your setup is that there is no airflow over the RAM.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
I seem to have forgotten that the 505-203B does not fit the board with the rear I/O panel. Pulled that off the unit I built this evening.

Using the 10G version with the fan. Will see how it works. Missing one 1U riser though :-/

I am worried about the 1.6TB P3600's not getting airflow. I think the Samsung 960GB 853T's will be fine though. The interesting part about your setup is that there is no airflow over the RAM.
Yeah, this isn't actually a very well designed barebones.

No airflow in the right side may limit expansion cards, no airflow through the PSU (thanks to the giant jumble of wires in front) will make it run hotter, and no airflow over the RAM when I'm using 32GB DIMMs is a bit scary. I was planning on sticking 4 in each box but I decided to stick with 2 for now to see how hot it gets.

I also had to spend an extra $7 on each for the bracket to mount a 2.5" drive. That's just them being greedy. They could have just as easily drilled a set of holes for direct mounting.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think you can direct mount drives and if you *really* wanted to save a few dollars, velcro works.

Do you happen to remember what the part number is for the dual fan holder? I am going to see what I can do to get more airflow in mine.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
I think you can direct mount drives and if you *really* wanted to save a few dollars, velcro works.

Do you happen to remember what the part number is for the dual fan holder? I am going to see what I can do to get more airflow in mine.
The holder was part of the kit, so I don't know for sure.

SuperMicro's site says:

Fan Cage MCP-320-81302-0B 40x28mm fan holder (may order two for dual fan configuration)

... But I'm not sure that this is correct since I'm pretty sure that it's actually a single piece in my case.

I think it's this one:

MCP-320-11101-0N

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
In an earlier post there was confirmation from SuperMicro that the board supports "bifurcation" of the PCI-e slot (x16 to 2x8 slots). Does anyone have experience doing that? I assume that the actual riser card would have to be case specific? My thought was that adding a 4x1GB NIC and an HBA to the board would be very useful.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
In an earlier post there was confirmation from SuperMicro that the board supports "bifurcation" of the PCI-e slot (x16 to 2x8 slots). Does anyone have experience doing that? I assume that the actual riser card would have to be case specific? My thought was that adding a 4x1GB NIC and an HBA to the board would be very useful.
Bifurcation is an option buried in the BIOS. I haven't tested it because my rider and care are for a single card.

Why would you need 4x more 1gbe ports when it already has 2x 1gbe and 2x 10gbe?

What are you planning on doing with this board?

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
The board I picked up doesn't have the 10GBe ports, didn't seem worth the wait at the time and extra $100 when I don't plan on getting a 10GBe switch anytime soon. So right now I just have the 2 ports.

Ultimately I'd like to see how well the board works for running a ZFS all-in-one setup to include pfSense - so the extra 4 ports would be for multiple VLANs.

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
I successfully tested bifurcation using a ARC1-PELY423 (also listed as a GH-PELY423) riser card. The riser isn't necessarily case specific, but you would need to check if it fits your case. For example, the ARC1-PELY423 doesn't fit the riser mounting bracket in the Travla TE1160 case, but can be used with the bracket removed. In that particular case, I would recommend making a bracket to keep the riser from working loose from the PCIe cards.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I successfully tested bifurcation using a ARC1-PELY423 (also listed as a GH-PELY423) riser card. The riser isn't necessarily case specific, but you would need to check if it fits your case. For example, the ARC1-PELY423 doesn't fit the riser mounting bracket in the Travla TE1160 case, but can be used with the bracket removed. In that particular case, I would recommend making a bracket to keep the riser from working loose from the PCIe cards.
Perfect, I did a rough search for a cable like that, but couldn't find anything. Aren't many options for that cable it seems outside of ebay for ~$68. Bit more than I was hoping to spend, but that's the price for custom built :)

Reactions: MiniKnight