[SOLVED] Intel X520-DA2 Motherboard Compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
G'day first time post long time follower.

I have a bit of quandary, have a couple of older ASUS Workstation Computers, a P8C-WS and a P8Z77-WS motherboard. Wishing to add them to my 10G network I installed some X520-DA2 I had left laying around only a have them both fail to boot BIOS Code stops at CODE 55.

Has any one come across this before.

P.S both cards are working, I tested them out in the spare server to verify them as working cards.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
Quick update.

So lock down has given me a lot of free time so much time I started to test all my old hardware spares out (damn I'm bored), I found that the X520-DA2 will not work on any of my boards that are based on Z68 Z77 (socket 1155), but will work on Z170 (socket 1151) or newer.

I don't have any socket 1150 to test so that's a unknown

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Quick update.

So lock down has given me a lot of free time so much time I started to test all my old hardware spares out (damn I'm bored), I found that the X520-DA2 will not work on any of my boards that are based on Z68 Z77 (socket 1155), but will work on Z170 (socket 1151) or newer.

I don't have any socket 1150 to test so that's a unknown
Depending on the loadout of the Z68 and what it's builtins are and if it has any PCIe expansion IC you may be out of PCIe lanes.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
Depending on the loadout of the Z68 and what it's builtins are and if it has any PCIe expansion IC you may be out of PCIe lanes.
You could be right, but even with every addon device disabled in BIOS and the only card in PCIe slot the systems would not boot on the boards that had diagnostic led readouts none would pass code 55.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
You could be right, but even with every addon device disabled in BIOS and the only card in PCIe slot the systems would not boot on the boards that had diagnostic led readouts none would pass code 55.
I checked my manual on the Z68 55 would be a memory error. I'm guessing could be faulty ram or a window of ram not being able to be paged in for the card. I dont have one of these to test on my z68

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
I checked my manual on the Z68 55 would be a memory error. I'm guessing could be faulty ram or a window of ram not being able to be paged in for the card. I dont have one of these to test on my z68
Mm, now thanks got me thinking.

I can rule out bad memory as I don't use the same memory for all the tests. But the one thing I did in common in all tests was have all memory slots populated with the 8Gb DDR3 ECC moduals for the P8C WS and P8Z77 WS and NON-ECC for all the rest.

May try again with 16Gb and 8Gb.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
Update found the problem, too much memory :rolleyes:.

Works with 16Gb of memory in any configuration tried, but fill the all the slots with memory and POST 55 every time.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Update found the problem, too much memory :rolleyes:.

Works with 16Gb of memory in any configuration tried, but fill the all the slots with memory and POST 55 every time.
Thats and odd one as I run 16Gb Adata modules on mine without issue.

Thunder

Jul 22, 2016
Thats and odd one as I run 16Gb Adata modules on mine without issue.
Oops should of proof read my post first.

Your right you can fill all slots but only with 4Gb Modules so a max of 16Gb is usable, you can also use 8Gb Modules but only by using 2 slots.

Still its stange as to why this occurs.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Oops should of proof read my post first.

Your right you can fill all slots but only with 4Gb Modules so a max of 16Gb is usable, you can also use 8Gb Modules but only by using 2 slots.

Still its stange as to why this occurs.
I'll take a RAMPANT GUESS, I know nothing of the X520-DA2 but my guess is you would have 16Gb of ram out of the possible 32Gb according to intel " Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) " then your video card if it's not an inbuilt on the CPU would map it's memory into the mix, I'll guess at say a 4gb Card which still would require physical mapping space so at that point you are upto 20Gb out of a possible 32 and then the X520-DA2 May map in some memory on the card itself to allow for high speed transfers via memory copies from it's on board buffer memory, lets say for arguments sake 512 meg so now you have 20.5 Gb mapped in a system made for 32Gb and it's also just possible because of board design that they are trying to map to the same memory location where ram is. Sometimes there are bios settings for this sort of stuff sometimes there aren't be they the system bios itself of an on board bios on the card. Sometimes jumpers may have to be set to re located where the card maps itself but thats really old school and I doubt it applies here.

This may be of interest