Intel X520-DA1 prices have dropped!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Now I am confused. Was just about to ask Natex to bundle a few of the x520-DA1 together with the m/b combo. Now I dunno

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
I have 2 connectx 2 between a microtek switch , workstation win10 pro 64bit and my Unraid 64bit server and only seem to get around 350mbps max i ever saw when transferring from files , from SSD to SSD. At times the connection will drop low into the mid 30's for some reason. kinda ticks me off and i need to research why... OK now to the question would these Intels cards be better supported in Win10 pro then the Connectx 2 cards? better thru put ? Seems like Intels site for this card still has support..

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I have 2 connectx 2 between a microtek switch , workstation win10 pro 64bit and my Unraid 64bit server and only seem to get around 350mbps max i ever saw when transferring from files , from SSD to SSD. At times the connection will drop low into the mid 30's for some reason. kinda ticks me off and i need to research why... OK now to the question would these Intels cards be better supported in Win10 pro then the Connectx 2 cards? better thru put ? Seems like Intels site for this card still has support..
The intel cards would be no faster the rate limiting process here is single ssd to ssd transfer. But beyond that there are some Linux networking stack optimizations that need to be performed with unraid to run at the full 1gb/s . Linus had a video briefly talking about this issue with unraid and windows 10. But didn't go into detail about what unraid suggested but I'm sure they are optimizing jumbo frames send and receive buffers and RSS. I have a few of these connectx2 sfp, vpi, and connectx3 vpi nice and I can scale them to full bandwidth from Windows 10 and windows server 2012r2 and 2016. With rdma transfers I have hit 20 gigabytes per second transfers with 7 connectx2 vpi nics from Windows server to windows server.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
The intel cards would be no faster the rate limiting process here is single ssd to ssd transfer. But beyond that there are some Linux networking stack optimizations that need to be performed with unraid to run at the full 1gb/s . Linus had a video briefly talking about this issue with unraid and windows 10. But didn't go into detail about what unraid suggested but I'm sure they are optimizing jumbo frames send and receive buffers and RSS. I have a few of these connectx2 sfp, vpi, and connectx3 vpi nice and I can scale them to full bandwidth from Windows 10 and windows server 2012r2 and 2016. With rdma transfers I have hit 20 gigabytes per second transfers with 7 connectx2 vpi nics from Windows server to windows server.

So what kind of transfer rates do you see non ram disk?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
That was not a ram disk it was on 8 name drives.

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
Dunno but i use connect x2 and a mikrotik switch, chelsio in the other end.my mmf fiber is bent in a door too th plasic cover is all White.i get 7 Gbp with vmware beta drivera on a ubuntu host.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
I know this is a very old, like very old thread.... but hey i used the search bar!!! LOL

I was just on Aliexpress and found these cards for $5 each...
so is this still the good thing to go with?

I have old connectx-1 and connectx-2 using a specific port called CX4 (to not be confused with ConnectX-4)...

If i open the link, the SFP module is 3 euro. The card is 26.

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
There is a limit 1 per customer, i was able to buy it - nic + sfp+ module - 6 euro incl. delivery to EU :D
screenshot from my invoice attached.

Attachments

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
There is a limit 1 per customer, i was able to buy it - nic + sfp+ module - 6 euro incl. delivery to EU :D
screenshot from my invoice attached.
oh i see now... they default showing the NIC but it is just the SFP+ module for $4... card is $23...

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
i am now seeing all the fakes out there.. interesting stuff. Even if you buy new on Amazon, you need to inspect each card and make sure you have a true card!!!!

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
I got burned recently on the x520 nics ... :/ bought 5 of them and they wont accept the DAC, got a few other x520 around with no issues on the same DACs

• Wow
Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I got burned recently on the x520 nics ... :/ bought 5 of them and they wont accept the DAC, got a few other x520 around with no issues on the same DACs
i was contemplating the rj45s to not deal with DAC...
in all honesty, i dont need all this i have.. could seriously downgrade and just buy another x520 off of amazon... that way i can return it no matter what.

Did you buy via credit card? That is what I am thinking of doing if I dont go amazon to then leverage fraud protection on my CC. Figured i would call them first to make sure...

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
i was contemplating the rj45s to not deal with DAC...
in all honesty, i dont need all this i have.. could seriously downgrade and just buy another x520 off of amazon... that way i can return it no matter what.

Did you buy via credit card? That is what I am thinking of doing if I dont go amazon to then leverage fraud protection on my CC. Figured i would call them first to make sure...
Ebay ....

• Wow
Reactions: TeleFragger

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
update on my order - finally i got the package and it contains SFP+ module only.
Had a chat with seller - he claims order was for SFP module only, but i have invoice stating contents should be NIC + SFP module.
Opened dispute with ali for refund.