Intel X-520-1, Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+, and "port flapping"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gergelypro

Sep 30, 2021
Same error message, I think I found the solution:
Reset the switch, upgrade the RouterOS to the latest version: 6.48.4, modify the interface settings:

Auto Neg. - off
Speed - 10G
Full duplex - on
Tx Flow controll - on

I tested with long time ping and full bandwidth (10 Gbps) upload and download at the same time.

On my side the bug may be in the auto negotiation settings on the SwitchOS.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

DRSpalding

Jul 14, 2020
Latest update: I successfully ran under RouterOS w/o any issues. I decided to switch back to SwOS but I found I could not access the switch at all for any management and it dropped my PC's link again continutally every couple of minutes. IDK why I couldn't access the switch, even with a static IP address set. I'm guessing that v2.13 of SwOS is the issue in a clean system. Perhaps I needed a bridge route entered into it? I spent last week moving my LAN from a 192.* block to a 10.* block and maybe the default address of 192.* has some other defaults that I don't know about that impact it. It definitely was not getting a DHCP address from my router though. It is strange that I had no problems back in April getting it to boot up on SwOS but now it just won't do it in a fashion that I can access it.

I did see some interesting posts on Mikrotik's forum about it though that lead me to believe that v2.13 needs extra coaching to get back on the network via DHCP: SwOS version 2.13 released! - MikroTik

I'll just use RouterOS for now I guess.

gergelypro

Sep 30, 2021
I suppose the lesson is to avoid Mikrotik for anything mission-critical...
I think it is not that eazy, because I also have Cisco RV340 router (and CBS350-16T-2G switch) and I also found an active bug what is still waiting for fix (unable to handle 3072 bit RSA private key).

SwOS is a minimal OS with less attention and the main os is the RouterOS what is work perfect to me and my it require more skill.

I even tried TP-Link Business Router and business switch, but my opinion is only unmanaged version work perfect.

DRSpalding

Jul 14, 2020
I think that for home use, SwOS is much more preferable to use. There are simply too many knobs and levers in RouterOS to mess with if you're not doing it every day as a manager of a system using Mikrotik gear and command line scripts to keep it all together. I'm glad that the defaults seem to work ok as a basically unmanaged switch once you get it placed into the network though. It's too bad I can't get SwOS to work, because I'm not going to deal with trying to figure out RouterOS to interact properly with my Ubiquiti router and APs for more advanced tasks. I'll probably just switch to the UDM-PRO-24 instead so I can manage all of it in one interface. The two SFP+ ports on the -24 are adequate for me and I can get a PoE injection panel for the devices that need power and I can then remove the unmanaged switch I use that has PoE but obviously, no VLAN support. I can use that unmanaged switch at end points if necessary where traffic is already segregated/separated via VLAN and such.

I will try one more time to get SwOS up and accessible by leaving everything in the default state (i.e. IP address 192.168.88.1) and modify the network/DHCP from SwOS itself. Maybe that will work.

nilezon

Feb 23, 2017
I had similar problems with my CRS305 and decided to do some power draw testing.

I bought 4x S+RJ10 and 4x 80m 10GBase-T modules (Cisco SFP-10G-T-80 Compatible 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 80m Transceiver Module - FS Germany)

When the CRS305 is idling, no cables connected, it draw 3,312W (0.138A * 24V). That is much lower than the max draw of 8W stated by Mikrotik.
I then connected 1 Gb/s RJ45 to the MGMT port and added 4x S+RJ10 (one by one, noticing the increased power draw).
When the switch was pushing 10 Gb/s on all four ports using 4x S+RJ10 the max noted power draw was 19,1W.
I could see that the power draw increased some when the switch and modules got hotter (from 18W to 19,1W).
All ports worked as expected, but I was only running the tests for ~30 min, so I can't say anything about long term performance.
Without a fan the switched reached 55 C (unit temp according to web gui) and the modules reached 94 C.
When I added a 120mm fan on top of the unit the temp went down to 32 C for the unit and 58 C for the SFP+ modules.
My conclusion is that you can actually use the CRS305 with four S+RJ10 modules if you are cooling it. The power supply (24V / 1,2A) should be enough.

I then went on doing the same tests with the Broadcom based (I think) 10GBase-T SFP+ modules from FS.com (I used the FS.com modules, but you can problably buy any "80m" RJ45 SFP+ module and get the same result).
When using four SFP+ modules at 10 Gbit/s and a 1 Gbit/s link in the MGMT port the switch reached a maximum power draw of 13,1 W.
The unit temp went up to 55 C during my 30 min test. The SFP+ modules does not report it's temperature, but I could tell they were much cooler than the Mikrotik modules when not using a fan. I'm guessing ~65 C for the modules.
This is of course a much better setup then the power hungry Mikrotik modules (not considering the higher price, that is).

Based on changes in power draw when adding/removing/using SFP modules I would approximate the power draw like this:
CRS305: 4W with link on MGMT port
S+RJ10: 3,5W
FS 10G-T-80: 2,3W

One interesting result is that the unit could actually exceed it's rated max power draw by more than a watt.
Another result is that the performance (throughput using iperf3) was not affected by heat (90+ Celsius SFP units).

I hope these tests can provide some help for you when deciding which hardware to choose.

Reactions: uldise

DRSpalding

Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for that informative posting. I too saw a dramatic drop in temps using a small house fan and running it with a 1Gbe uplink, 1 optical SFP+, and 1 10Gbe SFP+ module.

I have not been running the fan since I tested it two months ago, I have had only one incidence of a dropped connection in these two months while using RouterOS on it so I think it is fine to use in this configuration. When I actually do get some IoT devices that need wiring + PoE, I will likely get a Ubiquiti switch so I can enforce VLANs on the main network. I might as well get the one that has a couple 10Gb SFP+ ports.

maxwlang

Mar 12, 2023
Sorry for the necro but I wanted to share that I was having extremely similar issues where my link would drop on my CRS305. I was using an ipolex 10G BaseT SFP+ connector. My solution was to use the MikroTik S+RJ10. I went from 100+ drops per day to 0 in the past 3 days.