Intel SSDSS2DE400G3 2.5" 400GB SAS MLC $119 @Newegg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
That Sandisk deal looks great but I've been burned too many times with SATA SSDs so far. My 850 Pros are pretty much worthless on an LSI controller for some reason and I'd like to finally get around to doing HA with these SAS drives.

I will admit I haven't OP manually yet but it's been a PITA in RAID sets other than windows.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Long time lurker... thanks all for the heads' up. Have 4 for delivery tomorrow before taking some time off for Thanksgiving (err, to tinker with these and some fun QSFP/Infiniband network stuff I want to try!).

After doing a little research on the physical layout (based on the NewEgg pics, and the odd screw layout for the case + stickers that were clearly photo-shopped clean), it *looks* like a HUSML4040ASS600 model-- not to mention, I was able to find two different pics of this particular drive (searching under "HGST SSD400M", the family/group of drives it appears to belong to) that had staggered layout screws, AND two stickers similar to the NewEgg pic as well. Could also be an OEM Rebrand, though I doubt it, if sold under the Intel name.

On a related note, it *looks* like the HGST 12GB drives have a different (not-so-staggered) placement of the notches for screws-- but that's from web searches, not actual handling of their drives. (I know I can't afford SAS/12Gb SSDs...) That said, this looks like many of the pics I see of SAS/6Gb models, which would be consistent with "refurbished", IMO.

Of course, this could be totally wrong, especially if the NewEgg picture is a stock pic.

In the mean time, I'm going to hope for the best-- if it's the drive noted above, I'll be very happy. Assuming they arrive early tomorrow, if nobody else has already done so, I'll post a pic or whatever I can-- but I won't be at home where I can actually plug in and test/verify.

Thanks again for sharing the link!

(Minor edit)

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Still disappointed I dont have $400 spare sittin' arnd to pick up a set of 4. Will be kicking myself in arse later I am sure! Wife I swear had a 'sixth sense' moment on me last night asking 'you didn't order any tech gear recently did you'?

MuuuHAHAHAHHA!

Reactions: legopc

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Please Please, someone post the actual model number tomorrow.
I can't waste 5x ebay bucks opportunity . Need more SSD :p

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
After doing a little research on the physical layout (based on the NewEgg pics, and the odd screw layout for the case + stickers that were clearly photo-shopped clean), it *looks* like a HUSML4040ASS600 model-- not to mention, I was able to find two different pics of this particular drive (searching under "HGST SSD400M", the family/group of drives it appears to belong to) that had staggered layout screws, AND two stickers similar to the NewEgg pic as well. Could also be an OEM Rebrand, though I doubt it, if sold under the Intel name.
You are right that they do not appear to be 12G drives. Nice effort on the image search!

Just clearing things up:
1. The HGST 6g generation drives are excellent
2. Intel NAND and controller in the HGST 6g drives
3. We have no idea what kind of firmware is on these drives. Firmware makes a huge difference
4. We do not know what kind of life these drives had before being sold at NE so we do not know the NAND specifics.

I did get a few to test before getting more. I have a bunch of HGST drives in my internal STH dataset so my plan is to hook these up to the test rig and report back with result. They shipped via FedEx today in California so likely they will arrive tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

The HUSML4040ASS600 and drives in that family are excellent. If the firmware checks out these are about a 40% discount to ebay pricing. Some of the ebay drives do have warranties though.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
One day late after ordering 4x ssd.
5x ebay buck show up in my email this morning.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
5x bucks? Going looking...

Patrick- very good point on firmware.

Assuming they show up as expected, I'll share anything I can from the external perspective. Internal stuff... Won't be able to look before Patrick will likely have his in hand-- and guaranteed he'll be able to check a lot more efficiently than I'll be able to.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Must resist...hovering over BIN button haha! Step away from the computer, if these are indeed the HUSML4040ASS600 model this is an incredible pricepoint refurbed/no warranty or not.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If it's any indication of how well these perform as zil's in ZFS arrays this is the HUSSL4010ASS600 100GB model sucking in 300+MBps writes on a hybrid pool of mine as I sVMotion off my vSAN array and onto AIO OmniOS NFS stg 20+ VM's over 10GbE network.

Very satisfying results for $100, you guys get 4x's capacity so killer deal Mine were brand new though.

hgst-slc-sas-ssd-zil-600MBps-hybrid-pool.png

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Refurbished: Intel SSDSS2DE400G3 2.5" 400GB SAS MLC Intel Solid State Drive - Newegg.com

I am unable to find any details about this Intel SAS SSD. Newegg pictures only shown white box and label, no actual Intel model number.

Appreciate any info.
I tried to order a big old pile of them, but they only have 19 in stock. I picked up just 16 of them to stuff into a SAN that I use to store log data.
I hope everyone notices that they are SAS drives. That's actually a good thing, but SATA motherboard owners beware. Actually, did Intel even make SAS SSD drives? HGST I do hope.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
IF these drives turn out to be the Hitachis that we've been buying lately

I got one from the 2nd batch of those 100GB drives and apparently wound up with: HUSSL4010BSS600. It looks like A was their 34nm process while B is the new 25nm SLC.

The 200GB is an A thou in which I bought a few days later.

Some good info on these drives from SR here that detail some of the differences. Hitachi Ultrastar SSD400S.B Enterprise SSD Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

I can't find any firmware for these as trying to register mine on the HGST site isn't happening.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Maybe, do tell me how hard/easy it is to get a fusion-Io going in Solaris/Illumos/BSD's? I've never tried and only used mine in vSphere or Linux but I suppose they will work great for that if supported? I seem to recall seeing/hearing some iffy statements on supportability but maybe that was only pertaining to OmniOS and fusion-io devices. Someone will surely crack that nut if not already...

On a side note 300+ MBps 'real-world' I am not talking abt none of these 'fancy' IO tools that will generally tell you 'best case' scenario's/baselines. I always like to see 'real' stuff banging away....and for $100 saturating nearly 3Gbps of writes ain't to shabby.