Intel server SR2625 with Intel MB S5520UR no HDDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Hello ,
I hope I did not missed the thread about this topic.
Some time ago I got one used Intel server SR2625URLXR with two s1366 CPUs and 24gb of RAM but no HDDs. It has 8 x 2.5 rack .
Server is starting normally but the problem is no matter what HDD I put inside in BIOS or boot menu there is no boot device , it boots from USB normally. I have tried 2-3 SAS drives from other servers , lights are green on caddy , 2-3 normal sata 2.5 driver orange lights and also 2 SSD but always the same no HDD as on picture. I have tried all the options and always is the same no boot device.
My knowledge about servers is limited , and i cant find much information about this server on net ,I just have no more ideas what to tray. Board has many sata ports but i don't know their use.

Thanks for any help if possible.

Attachments

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Thanks for the manual. I have look inside it but did not found nothing for HDDs.
I have marked connections for HDD bays. Found on internet same model and it is same inside as much I can see.
Maybe HDD bay dead , I have no ideas what to try.

Attachments

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
By the color and markings I would say it is passive.
Thanks for the link.

Just a stupid idea , it says

Passive Midplane with 6Gb/s SAS or
3Gb/s SAS/SATA pass -through
capabilitiesfor either onboard SATA
ports or a SAS/SATA add-in card,
Enclosure management cable, Note:
SATA drive cables are not included.

Do I need maybe to connect main board sata ports with sata ports on this midplane?

Attachments

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
By the color and markings I would say it is passive.
Thanks for the link.

Just a stupid idea , it says

Passive Midplane with 6Gb/s SAS or
3Gb/s SAS/SATA pass -through
capabilitiesfor either onboard SATA
ports or a SAS/SATA add-in card,
Enclosure management cable, Note:
SATA drive cables are not included.

Do I need maybe to connect main board sata ports with sata ports on this midplane?
That would be my guess. Looks like you can swap for active midplane, pretty cheap too;
falsasmp2 | eBay
but also need the raid key,
axxraksas2 | eBay
and the dimm, so probably ~$100 total.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
I have connected sata 0 and 1 ports from motherboard to midplane with sata cables and now I can see HDD in bios, I have installed Win server 2012 R2 for test , all is working normal.
I want to thank you very , very much for your help.
On this server PSU makes noise like it is always on , but that is the way they are built and it is annoying , but I will use it for some time.
Again thank you very much form help.

madrizman

Nov 11, 2021
sorry to reopen this thread but i have the same problem and i have the active midplane, it cant see any drive. Do i really need the raid key?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
sorry to reopen this thread but i have the same problem and i have the active midplane, it cant see any drive. Do i really need the raid key?
The parts manual description implies that the RAID key and DIMM are optional; to enable hardware RAID.
I think you need to make sure that the BIOS mass storage is set for IT/IR mode, then use LSI 2208 software to configure, but I'm not sure...