Intel server case with 8 hot swap 3.5" bays for $200 with free US shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would probably not buy this unless I was going to use an actual Intel board in it.
And I wouldn't use an intel board in another server chassis with high rpm fans :D
(the bmc on intel mainboards tends to run fans at 100% if non-intel/normal 4pin fans are used)

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I am running two of these chassis at home. Both with supermicro boards and swapped pins in the pin header. Just needs to be done once =)
The fans are very reasonable when running them slower. I would even call it silent.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Check the posts about the chassis & Intel S2600CP2 mobo by @jwegman in the mega thread on E5-2670 from 2016. KalleyOMalley / OEM XS used to carry these NIB. They may still have spare parts. With Intel boards you can set the sound profile and it is quiet. I have both P4xxxM & L chassis. Most parts are interchangeable. Electrical spares include a set of gpu / pci power cables amongst other stuff. The above seller accepts ridiculously low offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: burkesquires

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
If anyone ends up not wanting the hot swap drive cage, I'd be interested in one of those.

Feb 8, 2016
Both with supermicro boards and swapped pins in the pin header. I would even call it silent.
Do elaborate on the pins you swapped. Guessing the Sense and the Control pins.

Case purchase - Anyone able to purchase for less than 90/each + ship?

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Do elaborate on the pins you swapped
Well. Intel uses a different standard for the signals for power hdd activity etc. All of them are different. I just removed all signals that were possible to use from the supermicro board over to a new connector and left the unused intel signals in the old connector, if i ever want to go back.

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
I am running two of these chassis at home. Both with supermicro boards and swapped pins in the pin header. Just needs to be done once =)
The fans are very reasonable when running them slower. I would even call it silent.
There you go.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
In the pictures below, the chassis is lying on its side, so up is to the left.

The 1st picture is the installed backplate.
The 2nd picture is the backplate being removed. You can see that the top screws go through the chassis and screw into the backplate, while the bottom screws go through the backplate and screw into the chassis.
The 3rd picture is the MB699VP-B just sitting in place, but you can see that it fits nicely. What it would take to mount it is basically a backplate that was similar around the edges, but had a sleeve that went inside so that a drive could be fastened there.

Backplate.jpg Backplate Removal.jpg Drive Example.jpg

But, then, I took a picture of the inside, and that showed me the way I could make this work:
Inside.jpg
You can see that there is a flange that would hold the front of the drive, and another flange sticking up from the motherboard tray that will hold the left-side rear of the drive. Those flanges are for the version of the chassis that a uses regular ATX power supply.

The cable management tie that I had stuck to the bottom of the power supply sleeve gave me the idea to use a pair, and screw through them into the right-hand side of the drive. I could use a metal strap, but despite the holes in the power supply sleeve, you can't fasten anything using them, as there is zero clearance inside. So, I'd still have to have some sort of "stick on", and I've already got one that seems to work.
The last thing I am going to do is put another stick-on behind the drive on the motherboard tray. This will keep it from sliding back and forth as much.

noacess

Nov 19, 2016
Does anyone know what the pinout is of the fan connectors? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to use these with a non-intel motherboard given how short the cables are.

Thanks!

IMG_1874.jpg

noacess

Nov 19, 2016
Just to answer my own question, below might be some information others are looking for. Looks like I just need to find or make adapters to go from 6 pins down to 4.

LX chassis fans are a 6-wire/6-pin style designed to plug into 6-pin headers. The extra signals provide for fan redundancy and failure indications (Pwr, Gnd, Tach, PWM, Presence, and Failure). Server Boards installed in this chassis may feature two additional 4-pin CPU fan headers and one additional 4-pin system fan headers. These connections are not required for use with the Intel® Server Chassis SC5600. To assist with fan connections in the system, the system fans are numbered one through five and color-coded. These correspond to fan header numbers on the server board. Fan 1 and fan 2 connectors are white in color and the fan 3, fan 4, and fan 5 connectors are blue in color. These colors should also match between server board and fans.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Looks like I just need to find or make adapters to go from 6 pins down to 4.
You shouldn't need an adapter in most cases: Note how the plug is keyed the same as 4 pin fan connector. You can just plug the first four into the pins on the fan header. The other two will simply "overhang" on the header.

However, these fans can draw a lot of current! Your motherboard is likely not rated to provide enough juice. To be safe, I would get something like this to power them of a 12V PSU rail: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DV1Z0WC Note that you will need to clip one side of the housing on the headers to allow the connector to "overhang" as described above.

Reactions: nabsltd and noacess

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
If you are never going to use a motherboard with 6-pin fan connectors, you can also just replace the connectors on the fans with standard ones found on 4-pin PWM fans. Just punch the pins out of the 6-pin connectors and move 4 of the wires to the standard connectors. Then, cut off the 2 extra wires on the fans.

I have found that at the full 8000 RPM, the fans are of course insanely loud, but at 2000 RPM, they are fairly quiet while still moving a lot of air.

burkesquires

May 26, 2020
Hi all, I bought this chassis and am also trying to adapt an ASUS Prime Z390-A motherboard with an i9-9900k to it. It is proving more frustrating then I expected. So far:
  • The motherboard fits, which is the first step.
  • 6-pin to 4-pin fan conversion: I found a 4-pin fan adapter I ordered and am waiting to try out (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWFT253) that I think will allow me to use the 4 pins while not destroying the fans 6 pins. I have to look more closely at the power differences mentioned above.
  • Front Panel adaption: As you know, the front panel cable is different then a regular one. I have ordered these cables (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVS3FX7) only because I cannot find an intel equivalent of the Supermicro front panel control splitter (https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-CBL084L-control-connector-CBL-084L/dp/B00KJNDUVO).
    • The front panel is usb-2...anyone found a usb-3 conversion or replacement front panel that will work?
  • CPU cooler: I had to remove the Noctua NH-D15 chromax. Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler and added a SilverStone Technology SST-AR11 SFF 95 Watt Intel 115X CPU Cooler that I hope will work well enough for the i9.
  • Rails: Has anyone found cheap rails for this?
  • What else am I missing?

Last edited:

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019