Intel Scalable and the cpu-heatsink processor clip. How critical is it to use them?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
I'm mostly familiar with E5-* Xeons and while trying to upgrade a Dell Tower T640 from 1cpu to 2cpus, I had the unpleasant surprise of discovering the existing of the processor clip for Xeon scalable.
My problem lies with the fact that I only have one processor clip (the black clip surrounding the cpu in the picture below) and two processors/heatsinks. I'm short of one processor clip.

Is the processor clip really required? It seems designed to position the heatsink/cpu module over the socket appropriately (how you can avoid damaging the pins while lowering something as heavy as a cpu+heatsink is beyond me).
Could I just use the old methodology and do without the processor clips?
1) lower the cpu in the sock.
2) lower the heatsink on top and screw it to the motherboard.

With the pressure involved, that should help the cpu stay in place, right?
Is there a shop where to find such a processor clip if it really is required?
(Dell didn't send them with the heatsinks, they probably assumed I had them already).

Ideas?

Vincent

Attachments

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh, and after saying this I am sure I will be corrected but I think it’s mandatory, normally you assemble the heatsink, clip, cpu all together then gently place the whole unit on the socket (its a precise alignment) and torque it to 12in/lb (yes you absolutely do need a torque screwdriver)
I dont have a not assembled cpu/machine in front of me now to see if there is work around but from memory I don’t think so.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
If you want to remove the heatsink in the future better get a bracket. If the cpu falls onto the socket's pins when you try to remove it it'll be catastrophic.

If it's a one-time installation you can live without it. When you've fixed the two screws on the corner the cpu won't be able to move anymore, just screw the rest 2 to the end.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Thank you for your replies. I've done this:
1) assembled the system without the carriers, making sure to be extra careful when lowering the heatsinks.
2) I ordered two carriers on eBay, which I will retrofit to the system when they get here.
Thanks again,
Vincent