Intel S4510 / Samsung 883 DCT / Seagate Nytro 1551

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

javooooo

Jun 15, 2018
Hi all,

I'm curious whether anyone has first-hand experience with the new gen of SSDs from the major manufacturers that are coming onto the market at the moment?

I am doing a mid-sized Ceph deployment. All of these SSD models come in at roughly the same cost:

Intel DC S4510 960GB
Samsung 883 DCT 960GB
Seagate Nytro 1551 960GB

Based on the datasheet the Nytro seems to have the fastest throughput and IOPs, followed by the Intel and then Samsung. The Nytro is also the cheapest by a small margin (around 50 USD per disk). Are Seagate SSDs reliable for a DC deployment? What would you guys pick?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Next gen or really even current gen now are all NVMe (PCIe)
SATA only for bulk storage with Low power consumption, NVMe is really not far off for cost with a huge performance gain.

Having said that I assume your either looking at bulk store or have to use sata then I would choose in the order you listed, ie intel first. Simply just because of others struggle recently with Samsung firmware.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with the Seagate but the intel and Samsung will be more testsed and likely better supported in general.

javooooo

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks Evan, we were leaning towards the Intels. I'm not sure if they will work with the HP DL360p g8s we are using though - I've created a thread in the HBA forum for any advice.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
How big is mid sized? With Ceph I think that's a few racks of gear?

Intel first.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
NVMe choices are limited in Gen8 servers, only AOC’s really.
If your using H240 HBA then why not use some SAS drives ? Lots of HP branded used around cheap, if you have to use new SATA then I guess just get a drive to test with the HP servers, HP have provided lots one HP firmware versions of intel sata drives but no idea how different they are or what the system exactly checks to see if it ramps fans up.

javooooo

Jun 15, 2018
We can't use NVMe unfortunately - it has to be old-fashioned 2.5" SSDs.

They are HP DL360p Gen 8 servers, which have P420i integrated RAID. I understand this can run in HBA mode, although I am not sure with what performance.

I'm open to getting a PCI H420 or even a 3rd party HBA (like a LSI with IT firmware), but I'm not sure about compatibility.

I don't see much advantage in using SAS SSDs - I've found some good 12G ones but the HP DL360p g8 backplane seems to be limited to 6G.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ok did not know about the dl360 backplane, the dl380 Gen8 certainly runs at 12G
The H240 is a put HBA, the others are raid adapters.
Anyway yes the HP raid adapters can be made to work like a HBA, just setup each disk as a volume and it passes through.

Main advantage of SAS SSD in this case is they should be more readily available HP branded used in the market place and defying logic are normally cheaper. Performance is also improved but I am not sure that will be noticeable in your setup.

javooooo

Jun 15, 2018
Oh - maybe I'm wrong about the backplane. I couldn't find it "officially" in the documentation, I just saw the integrated P420i card was limited to 6G and no 12G card was on the compatibility list. Any idea where I might be able to verify the backplane speed?

If it is 12G then SAS is definitely the way to go.