Intel S4510 DC for SLOG

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

I was thinking to buy an Intel 900p 280GB for SLOG and i know that this si the real deal but for the moment i received for free 2 x Intel S4510 DC Series 240GB SATA-III SSD.

Has anyone tested this model for Freenas slog?

Thank you in advance.

Regards!

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Intel SSD usualy yield pretty low latency numbers, so unless you are trying to saturate 10Gb links this ssd probably is fine.

Reactions: nikalai

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
- Not a heavy-write drive
- Low capacity TLC
- Low Endurance\TBW
- 16,000 IOP

You could go back 5 years and get a better Intel SSD (S3700\S3710) for SLOG than this device.

You didn't tell us what pool you're trying to improve writes on so we'd be guessing... saying you were going to use optane then settling on this though I'm thinking you wanted high performance and are settling on this because free... so I'm not sure what your goals are ;) low cost? high performance? For a SSD pool or hdd?

Reactions: nikalai

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Thank you very much for your replies. I am work now. Please excuse me for not providing all details. Soon i will update informations regarding my configuration and my plans. :)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You didn't tell us what pool you're trying to improve writes on so we'd be guessing...
I looked through some zfs blogs and mail lists for information about nvdimms and learned that the slog device doesn't cache data, but the information about the "transactions" so that in case of a powerfailure the changes can be undone.
With other words the performance (iops, latency & throughput) of the slog does not necessarily improve the performance of the storage pool.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I looked through some zfs blogs and mail lists for information about nvdimms and learned that the slog device doesn't cache data, but the information about the "transactions" so that in case of a powerfailure the changes can be undone.
With other words the performance (iops, latency & throughput) of the slog does not necessarily improve the performance of the storage pool.
If you're not clear what a SLOG device does then research it, it's been explained numerous times on this forum and @gea has done a great write-up in various places on it as well. I never claimed it was a "cache device" and to say a high-performance SLOG device does not improve pool write performance is 100% wrong. Additionally it's been shown that using an identical drive for a SLOG device as the POOL itself uses will still yield > performance because it's not writing the log to the pool and the data.

I'm not debating or getting into this especially not in this thread. I suggest you research then make your own thread where confusion can be clarified for you as this has been rehashed over and over. It's not a cache, it improves performance, it needs tweaked\adjusted just like pools do, etc...

If you're not doing sync writes then that's different. But when someone says they were going to use an OPtane I don't immediately think they have 0 understanding of the benefits of a SLOG, I assume they understand what it is, why they need it, and are looking at options. As I mentioned, we need more info to provide more suggestions :D