Intel S3700 800GB 85$ OBO (HP Branded)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zubber

Sep 10, 2016
Is there any update on this? I got a few so wondering how mines will turn out when they arrive.
Not really an update, just observation. The raw error rate keeps going up no matter what. I stopped worrying about it because the SSD is working and within return window. The seller has not responded to my inquiry though.

The drive is noticeably slow compared to my other SSDs, including cheap DRAMless Inland brand. Installing Windows/Linux takes significantly longer.

Reactions: Samir

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Not really an update, just observation. The raw error rate keeps going up no matter what. I stopped worrying about it because the SSD is working and within return window. The seller has not responded to my inquiry though.

The drive is noticeably slow compared to my other SSDs, including cheap DRAMless Inland brand. Installing Windows/Linux takes significantly longer.
How many did you buy? I am about to check out for 24 of them and am a little bit worried now. Is it just 1 out of however many giving you trouble?

My issue is I got an offer accepted for 70/ea which seems like a killer deal for S3700 800GB.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How many did you buy? I am about to check out for 24 of them and am a little bit worried now. Is it just 1 out of however many giving you trouble?

My issue is I got an offer accepted for 70/ea which seems like a killer deal for S3700 800GB.
Do you have HBA\System to read smart data for these HP drives?

If so I'd buy them, and test them all, and then return the ones that don't work\need replaced.

If you don't 24x drives is a big risk with 0 smart data, and I would not do that, even for $70.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Do you have HBA\System to read smart data for these HP drives?

If so I'd buy them, and test them all, and then return the ones that don't work\need replaced.

If you don't 24x drives is a big risk with 0 smart data, and I would not do that, even for $70.
Yeah I have ways to read the smart data, not efficiently, but I can do it. Would have to be in small batches.

I found another seller who accepted an offer of 60/ea for 32. Looking to put these in a nice 'low power' 4 node vSAN cluster with those E5-2630L V3s that were going for ~65.

Anyone know if there's any gotchas with the HP drives? I'm assuming they don't have stock firmware. I may pass on them simply because there seems to be some crucial smart attributes that don't get reported and the firmware can't be updated.

Last edited:

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Some Dell and HP drives work at SATA2 speeds, not SATA3. The only way to know is checking the information with the drive plugged in/loaded in a bay.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
How do you read the SMART data on these disks? do you need a HP controller? if so will any HP do? (I have some H220's with LSI IT firmware, that I may be able to reflash with the original H220 firmware)
Mine has over 48300 on hours, 65 power ups, 97% life left. Gosh it's old and covered in dust. Apparent pulled from server.
Interesting, I haven't had the time to try the disks yet, but the ones I ordered look very clean.
Did you order from the same seller as the one I posted?