Intel S2600CP2J no post, no VGA, blinking amber status

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roland Roberts

Dec 23, 2016
Build’s Name:
CPU: Xeon E5-2697v2
Motherboard: Intel S2600CP2J
Chassis: Chenbro ST10569-CO Pedestral
Drives: None Yet
RAM:Crucial DDR3 1866 RDIMM CL13
Add-in Cards: None
Power Supply:EVGA SuperNova 1000w

I just got all the pieces to get this put together enough to try a power on. But I'm not getting anywhere :-(

I've already done a BIOS/CMOS reset as well as a password reset. More that once.

After power on, the system status light flashes green, the system ID light flashes blue. Then they both go off. Then they both turn on. Then the system ID light goes off while the status light stays green. Then it turns off. Then it turns on. Then it starts flashing amber.

At no time do any of the POST LEDs turn on. I never get anything out of the VGA port.

From the manual, amber blinking is supposed to be a "non-critical" problem. But I'm not sure how to diagnose what's happening with neither a POST code nor any VGA output.

I've also tried pulling CPU2 and it's power supply to try with only one. I've only inserted on RDIMM for now into slot A1 to keep things as simple as possible.

Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Roland Roberts

Dec 23, 2016
Okay, so one possibility, maybe even likely, is that the board needs a BIOS upgrade to support the CPU. From this page

Processor Compatibility for Intel® Server Board S2600CP Family and...

there is a note that BIOS 02.01.0002 or later is required. I have no idea what version the board is running. And I'm guessing I need a different CPU in the board to get it to do anything and find out.

Doest that make sense? Should I expect no POST codes and no VGA output if the CPU is not supported by the BIOS?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't remeber about post codes, but there will be definitely no vga output if the bios doesn't support the cpu.

And yes, you will need a v1 cpu for the bios update.