Intel S2600CP2 in CSE-836TQ Chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
It has recently come to my attention that this motherboard isn't an easy swap into this chassis due to power cable lengths and supermicro headers...

For anyone who's performed a swap of this mobo into an equivalent/similar supermicro chassis, am I right in thinking that I'll only need the following:

2x 8 pin CPU power extensions
1x 24 pin PWR extension
1x CBL084L header adapter/extension

Thanks,
M

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I completed the same build just a month ago. Here's what I ordered off eBay:

ATX 24 Pin Male to Female Extension Cable, 30cm
ATX 8 Pin Male To Female Extension Cable, 20cm
Supermicro CBL084L 16-Pin Front Control Split Connector Cable 6"
Supermicro CBL0068L 16-Pin Front Control Split Connector Cable 11"

I also have the TQ backplane, and ordered 4*CBL-0343L-01 from a local server supply store. My two LSI 9211-8i have the SFF-8087 connectors facing backwards. The cables are a bit too long so I have to fold them. If your SFF-connectors face upwards, the cables should be just right.

I also ordered an IO shield off ebay, but it didn't fit perfectly, leaving two of the USB-ports partly covered. I can't be bothered to remove the board to replace it though, and I don't really need access to all the USB ports anyway.

In my case the power distribution unit already had two 8-pin PSU connectors, and I was able to reach one of the connectors on the motherboard without an extension. Some units may have just one 8-pin connector, so beware if this is the case for you.

You may wonder why I got both the 6" and the 11" front control connector cable. The reason is that you need the 11" length, but the female-to-female adapter bracket is only included in the 6" package. I didn't discover this before I received the 11", which led to a few more days of waiting for the 6" to arrive before I could finish my build.

On a sidenote: For fans I chose the Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U. They fit perfectly.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Thank you Kybber for the detailed response and especially the part about the two different CBL cables required. The terrible part about all of this is that I'm in Canada and that most of the American vendors want $14 a cable to ship but don't have all of the cables at one source. I could order from China for less but would end up waiting 20+ days for delivery. The humanity :)

Kybber

May 27, 2016
You are very welcome, manxam. My post above consists almost entirely of information I've found on this forum, which has been, and continues to be, incredibly helpful on my journey to upgrade my server and home network.

I would be surprised if there isn't a Canadian computer webshop that can supply most of what you need. I live in Norway and, except for the SATA-cables which I sourced locally, I ordered my cables from China, Germany and Denmark. But then I had so many ongoing projects at the same time that I was happy to wait a few weeks for the parts to arrive :)