Intel S2600CP w/ Intel P4000 Case

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I would say that a combination of disk controller function coupled with modern file systems would effectively manage and mitigate bit errors now.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
How are the temps/noise under load? Are the 2 fan wall fans + air shroud enough to keep both processors cool enough?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
How are the temps/noise under load? Are the 2 fan wall fans + air shroud enough to keep both processors cool enough?
Well, the cooling on the Intel board probably doesn't work the way you think it does. It uses a close loop control system for the fan RPM. The target for the CPU temp is 80-82C. Until the CPU gets that hot the fan will not ramp from their idle speed at all. In my testing with a 65F ambient temp the fans will just barely speed up from the lowest idle speed under that condition with 100% CPU load using AVX instructions. I modified the .sdr file that controls the target temps for the close loop system to get the CPUs to stay a little more than 20C cooler. Now the fans ramp to about 50% PWM duty under full load.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Yes they are. I haven't moded the SDR file like stereodude, but like he said the unit is quiet under normal ops. When the unit first power on it goes full cycle on all fans and it get loud it also runs full fans when the case is open. The fans have enough force that it feels like a large floor fan when blowing on full cycle.

Reactions: RyC

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
So I'm planning my cut-over to new box. I'm thinking I will get two 8TB WDD My book external drives and pop the HDDs out and use those for my WS2012 esentials VM to hold my files, client backup and full server backup. Right now I'm using 3 x 3TB drives. The two 8TB should be more then enough space and also use less power then 3 drives. These will be attached to the M1015 card flashed to IT mode and pass-through to the VM.

I have a 4 port intel pro 1000 vt card in the prod server, which im thinking will move into the new s2600 build. I wanted to get i350 card, but cant seem to find a legit version on ebay for cheap enough. I'm thinking the 1000 vt card should be enough for me? Any thoughts?

Finally, i about had it with the m5015 and bbu card. So i want to replace it. I dont know if i should just get a bare 12g card and load it with consumer SSD drives for my dev vms. I already have 4 x 256 drives available i would start with. I can probably use the m5015 card without the bbu and still have OK performance with 4+ ssd raid 0 but i haven't tested it out yet. Any thoughts on raid cards?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Update - 4.4.16: I order a WD 12TB Duo External unit. Amazon.com: WD 12TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBLWE0120JCH-NESN: Computers & Accessories

It comes with 2x6 TB Red drives that can easily pop out. I plan to use these two drives with my WS2012R2 Essential to hold all my stuff and client backups. It should have about 30% still available after I move off 3 x 3TB drives.I will either have these on the intel sata 6 ports and pass-through to vm or with m1015 card. I will test both out when i get the drives. That will take care of my storage for prod essentials box.

Next I will use the 3x3TB drives as a start for raid pool for my VM development. i'm dumping the M5015 raid card and got this card instead:Intel RS25AB080 RAID Controller SAS/SATA, PCIe x8, MD2 1GB. Tested Cust. I also got the ssd unlock key. So the plan is to use 3x3TB, new card and probably a 500gb ssd drive maybe more once i figure out what the max the card can take.

PS i will then use the duo to hold 2x2tb drives to backup wicked old stuff from current storage on essentials vm.

Last edited:

Folsom

Apr 21, 2016
Yes they are. I haven't moded the SDR file like stereodude, but like he said the unit is quiet under normal ops. When the unit first power on it goes full cycle on all fans and it get loud it also runs full fans when the case is open. The fans have enough force that it feels like a large floor fan when blowing on full cycle.
Would you happen to have any idle power measurements? I'm thinking of making the same setup, and I would like to compare the power usage to my current build.

Thanks,
Folsom

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Would you happen to have any idle power measurements? I'm thinking of making the same setup, and I would like to compare the power usage to my current build.

Thanks,
Folsom

I been real happy with power usage so far. That is with 6 or 7 3.5 hdd and 5-6 2.5 ssd drives, two raid cards and 5 VMs running.

power.JPG

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I'm going through the process of building a system very similar to yours. Still collecting all the components. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the case and for how much? I've ordered a Phanteks Enthoo Pro and a power supply but I'm reconsidering after seeing your post here.

Also, regarding the IPMI, is that extra module required for KVM and mounting ISOs? I have an extra Intel NIC I could put in the machine, but I'd like the full functionality of the IPMI. Just wondering if I have to purchase an extra module for that.

What are your average CPU temps like with the passive coolers?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I'm going through the process of building a system very similar to yours. Still collecting all the components. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the case and for how much? I've ordered a Phanteks Enthoo Pro and a power supply but I'm reconsidering after seeing your post here.

Also, regarding the IPMI, is that extra module required for KVM and mounting ISOs? I have an extra Intel NIC I could put in the machine, but I'd like the full functionality of the IPMI. Just wondering if I have to purchase an extra module for that.

What are your average CPU temps like with the passive coolers?
I got it from ebay seller kalleyomalley. I got a good deal because im local so i didnt have to pay shipping and they didnt get pp fees. If they have product still left they usually have best offer on it so you can get it in the 200 range maybe even cheaper. the good deals link for e5 cpus have some average prices people got the cases for.
kalleyomalley on eBay

For IPMI to use KVM and iso you need the AXXRMM4R lite or full version. Only difference is full version has its own nic and cable to connect to the MB. I ended up getting both version and prefer the full version. the enable the KVM you need the little key that connects to the MB not just the nic and cable.

temps listed below are at room temp of 77Ftemps.JPG

Reactions: Jeggs101

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I appreciate the responses and I'm hoping for a little more help. I ordered an Intel RMS25KB080 that I plan to cross flash. Do I need a special cable to connect to the P4000 case? If so, which cable? Otherwise, what do I use to connect drives?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Just a thought, before you cross flash the card,is to try the latest intel bios for it and see if you can live with it. (Not sure if you plan on cross flashing it to IT mode or another firmware like LSI). I left my intel raid card as is and just updated the bios, its doesn't take that long to post vs say IBM M5015 card with ibm bios.

As for connecting the card to cages, you just need sff mini sas to sff mini sas cable. which you might already have with the case. As for the SGPIO cable, I left mine connected to the MB as I'm not sure if card has a spot for it.

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I'll give what you've suggested a try and report back afterwards. My plan is to pass the raid card through to a FreeNAS VM. I think in order to make FreeNAS happy that I may have to flash to IT mode?

At this point, just the case, motherboard combo and heatsinks are here. I'm using Cooler Master Hyper T4s and I believe they are just a little too tall. Has anyone successfully used the CM 212's in a case like the P4000? The 212 is very similar in dimensions to the T4.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Build’s Name: TBD
3-25-16: Update: I got it all together now. Really nice case, I'm happy with it. Super quiet now with latest bios updates. I did run into issues with BMC, but got it resolved. I also ended up ordering full RMM4 module so will most likely sell the rmm4 lite. Now im testing out and deciding storage.
Nice build! I am considering something similar. Can you please describe the BMC issues you had and how they were resolved?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Nice build! I am considering something similar. Can you please describe the BMC issues you had and how they were resolved?
Thanks! I been enjoying it. Only 1/3 of capacity being used so far. I have a lot of head room to grow :)

upload_2016-8-5_8-54-32.png

the BMC issues seems like it got a bad setting and i wasnt able to access the interface afterwards. I had to use an intel tool that reset the bmc settings. After that i was able to reconfigure and it was fine. I dont recall the actual tool name but it should be easy enough to find if you google reset intel BMC setting.

Attachments

Reactions: Kybber

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
Nice build! I am new to building a server, and I am about to show my ignorance. I have 2 E2670 cpu's and the S2600CP motherboard from Natex, which I think I saw a post somewhere that it is model S2600CP2J, but I do not know if that is correct. I have the same chassis as you, Intel P4216XXMHGR. I am using SUPERMICRO SNK-P0050AP4 heat sinks. Is the Air Duct FCPUPMAD necessary, or only if using the passive heat sinks? I have done a crude assembly, and am at the point where the server mimics a jet engine in production of noise. I have not yet done the firmware updates, or taken other steps on the noise front.

I am also trying to sort out the differences between the remote management modules: AXXRMM4, AXXRMM4R, and AXXRMM4Lite. The Intel information is somewhat confusing. The Intel comparison chart: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/server-management/intel-remote-management-module.html. I prefer the full version with the nic, over the Lite. The Intel spec for AXXRMM4 show compatibility with S2600CP2 and S2600CP2J: http://ark.intel.com/products/55169/Remote-Management-Module-AXXRMM4?wapkw=axxrmm4#@compatibility. The Intel spec for AXXRMM4R does not show this compatibility: http://ark.intel.com/products/67318/Remote-Management-Module-AXXRMM4R#@compatibility. The pricing is much better on the AXXRMM4R so I prefer to go with this if it will work. Does the AXXRMM4R work OK with the S2600CP2and the P4216XXMHGR chassis? In post 31, you mentioned that a cable is needed to connect the nic. What kind of cable is this? The Vendor I am considering on the AXXRMM4R says that cables are not included, and that no mounting hardware is provided.

Thanks!

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@Son of Homer - I went with the air duct since I got the passive intel heatsinks so they needed the air focused. Since you are using different coolers i would venture to guess the air duct wouldn't fit anyways. It was tight on mine with the intel based passive heatsinks.

You need to have the case fans plugged in then run the bios update program, which i forget what it is called. But it tells the bios what chassis you are using and then will adjust the fans speeds accordingly. After I did that the server is really quiet. Only time it gets loud is on reboot/startup and also if the power dips (like brownouts in the house To eliminate brown out fan spikes i went with a double online UPS which eliminated all false PSU failures which triggered the fans.)

So what i recall for the RMM was i started with the light which was just a chip you plug into a port on the MB, the extra nic does not work on the MB. That where I thought there was a cable for it but i never found one so I then bought an Intel AXXRMM4 Remote Management Module which included the correct nic adapter, cable and chip for the motherboard/chassis. I'm not sure what the difference is between the AXXRMM4 and AXXRMM4R, but if the site says it isn't compatible, then i would avoid it.

I ended up getting the Intel AXXRMM4 Remote Management Module from ebay newegg store for around 65 dollars.

Hope that helps.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Make sure the side panel is closed or put a tape over the chassis intrusion switch. That will also cause the fans to run at 100%

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk