Intel S2600CP rev F bios update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi there,

I recently purchased three of these motherboards. Two of them will be running with V1 Xeons and one with V2 Xeons. As all the motherboards have a very old BIOS, I need to update it at least in one of them. I read many threads here about bricked S2600CP mobos after BIOS update, so I am little bit scared.

The current Bios version is SE5C600.86B.01.08.5003.060920130948, BMC firmware 1.17.41.51, ME firmware 02.01.05.107 and SDR package 1.08.

In order to be able to run the V2 Xeons, I need to be running BIOS version 02.01.0002 or later. The problem is that my motherboards don't meet all the requirements for this update:
Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

What do you think, is it safe to update directly to this version? If not, to which BIOS version should I update first?

Thank you

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Dont know if you have resolved this. I went through the same issue about 2 years ago. Don't span multiple versions updating your bios. You can brick it. I upgraded 1 update at a time until it was to the latest version at the time. I did have an issue where if i tried to update all it would fail and was able to finally get it to work by updating separately and i always updated the BIOS first. If you do brick it there is a recovery jumper on the board and a sequence to recover it. Sure its on intel website and always read the release notes with for the different upgrades.
Good luck

Reactions: tesla100

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Thanks for your answer Mike. Actually I did resolve the issue. And as a matter of fact I could update to the latest BIOS, BMC, ME and SDR directly. It looks like that with the latest updates it is doable. All those threads I had read regarding the danger of bricking the mobo were too old and thus not valid anymore.

Reactions: Mike W

aimannorazman

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for your answer Mike. Actually I did resolve the issue. And as a matter of fact I could update to the latest BIOS, BMC, ME and SDR directly. It looks like that with the latest updates it is doable. All those threads I had read regarding the danger of bricking the mobo were too old and thus not valid anymore.
Hi there, i purchased a similar board and i have the exact bios, BMC, ME and SDR versions that you had when you purchased your board. Just to be sure, may I know which version did you update to? Also, did you use V1 or V2 cpu to update everything? Thank you

Last edited:

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi, I updated to the latest version directly. Obviously I had to use a V1 CPUs, as the support of the V2 CPUs was the reason for the update. Read very carefully the release notes for the BIOS and don't forget to update the BMC, ME and SDR in the exact order which is mentioned there.

aimannorazman

Apr 11, 2019
Thank you so much for the reply! The reason i asked about whether you used a V1 or V2 CPU was because i managed to get into the bios with an e5-2650 V2. It just wont boot into OS, and had red texts saying "only basic instructions are supported with this CPU", so that got me wondering if i could use the V2 CPU to update everything.

Nevertheless, thank you so much i have been looking for information on this board to no end.

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Yes, you are right, now I recall that I could enter the BIOS too before the update, but it wouldn't boot. But for sure I updated all the three motherboards with a V1 CPU and would recommend you to do the same.

Reactions: aimannorazman

TheGreatEscape

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks to the guidance on this forum, I updated the BIOS, etc of the S2600CP from 1.8.3 to 2.6.6 and then the BIOS to 2.6.7. My only contribution would be the names of the folders that the zip creates are rather long. So I renamed then to 266 and 267 to make typing in the EFI shell command line easier.
Specs: dual Xeon E5-2620, 64GB RAM (8 x 8GB RAM Kingston 9965442-025.B00L)
Next step, upgrade memory to 256GB with Hynix 32GB RAM HMT84GL7AMR4CRD
Wish me luck and thanks again.

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Thanks to the guidance on this forum, I updated the BIOS, etc of the S2600CP from 1.8.3 to 2.6.6 and then the BIOS to 2.6.7. My only contribution would be the names of the folders that the zip creates are rather long. So I renamed then to 266 and 267 to make typing in the EFI shell command line easier.
Specs: dual Xeon E5-2620, 64GB RAM (8 x 8GB RAM Kingston 9965442-025.B00L)
Next step, upgrade memory to 256GB with Hynix 32GB RAM HMT84GL7AMR4CRD
Wish me luck and thanks again.
Good to hear that..

kedden1921

Jun 26, 2020
sorry to revive an old thread, but i could really do with a little help.

i bought one of these boards, got the E5 2620 V2 CPU's

i assume i have to update the bios on the board, i put the cpu's into the sockets, turn on the board and i get fans spinning, green light on the back but no post.

i have now ordered a 2609 v1 incase i need to ujpdate the bios so that i can use the v2 CPU's.

can these motherboards be updated straight to the latest version or do i have to update version by version?

Last edited:

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
sorry to revive an old thread, but i could really do with a little help.

i bought one of these boards, got the E5 2620 V2 CPU's

i assume i have to update the bios on the board, i put the cpu's into the sockets, turn on the board and i get fans spinning, green light on the back but no post.

i have now ordered a 2609 v1 incase i need to ujpdate the bios so that i can use the v2 CPU's.

can these motherboards be updated straight to the latest version or do i have to update version by version?
Hi there. As I already stated above, I could upgrade directly. I don't have that board anymore, but I remember that in the readme.txt file which came with the BIOS was described very precisely the steps to be taken. I also remember that all the posts I had found and that said that you had to go step by step were outdated. But that was one year ago, things might have changed. Do read carefully all the info which comes with the BIOS and you should be fine. Cheers