Intel S2600CP Onboard SAS Controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I am considering ditching all of my LGA1366 gear ahead of schedule and consolidating things onto an LGA2011 V2 platform and found myself doing a little 'homework' reading through the Intel S2600CP manual and found something that caught my eye....

In the manual, it says that the Onboard SAS Ports (powered by LSI) are capable of RAID 0,1,10 w/Optional Raid5 with key.
It then goes on to explain that the controller is capable of Host based RAID functions OR DRIVE PASSTHROUGH depending on driver choice.
Now, Are we talking IT Mode ? It never said Host based RAID or JBOD.... it said Passthrough.

Secondly, could someone explain the difference between an sff-8087->to->4x SATA Cable .VS. a 4x SATA->to->sff-8087 Cable ?

I feel like someone is telling me to find a bacon stretcher or a left handed socket wrench.
When seeing both for sale, with the breakout cable being more expensive than the consolidation cable, I feel like a noob.

thanks in advance, sorry as always for...being a noob.
Allan

Last edited:

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
sff-8087->to->4x SATA Cable .VS. a 4x SATA->to->sff-8087 Cable ?
Think cross-over cables in the bad old days. You can't mix and match. Forward breakout cables to break out an SFF-8086/8643 host port into four individual connectors, reverse-breakout cables to join four ports into one SFF-8087/SFF-8643 backplane.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
Think cross-over cables in the bad old days.
Got it. Thanks. Order the cables marked 'Reverse breakout' on Amazon...lol
NOW, if those onboard 8 ports in the form of 7pin SAS/SATA connection are in fact SAS Passthrough, as in IT, then my choice of OS's will be made even easier.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I understand that they operate much like normal SATA ports in other Intel chipsets, but with SAS functionality, too.