Intel s2600cp Dual Xeon 2670 3D / VFX Rendering Node

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Yeah I just realized this morning it's electrically 8x, which was very disappointing. Makes more sense why they are so cheap. I was hoping to eventually use the machine for some more graphics-heavy work as well. I don't think I can justify the build for a headless server alone...

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Yeah I just realized this morning it's electrically 8x, which was very disappointing. Makes more sense why they are so cheap. I was hoping to eventually use the machine for some more graphics-heavy work as well. I don't think I can justify the build for a headless server alone...
GPUs will work and perform just fine in a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot like are on the SC2600CP. Look at this data with even an NVIDIA 980 and see that there is almost no loss even between a x16 and x4 slot.

GeForce GTX 980 PCI-Express Scaling

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
@rubylaser that matches my research as well. Unfortunately, in my other thread[0] @RyC said that he believes S2600CP's only operate at PCIE 2.0 speeds, which would effectively make it 3.0 4x. I'd be ok with effective 8x, but 4x is pushing it. I may also want to add SLI down the line. It would actually be great if anyone with a S2600CP can confirm that there's no way to make them run at PCIE 3.0 speeds.

[0] Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
@rubylaser that matches my research as well. Unfortunately, in my other thread[0] @RyC said that he believes S2600CP's only operate at PCIE 2.0 speeds, which would effectively make it 3.0 4x. I'd be ok with effective 8x, but 4x is pushing it. I may also want to add SLI down the line. It would actually be great if anyone with a S2600CP can confirm that there's no way to make them run at PCIE 3.0 speeds.

[0] Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation
My information is from here: NVMe on Intel S2600CP

It is possible to downgrade the BIOS if you see his instructions further in the thread. It also seems that V2 chips don't have this issue at all (but those aren't $70 a pop either!)

Reactions: tanders12

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
@jdartnet do you have to remove the CPU coolers to get the RAM in and out?

EDIT: I'm only going to have 4 DIMMS starting out. For maximal channel utilization I just need to make sure they're each on a separate letter (ie A, B, C, D, E, F, G), right? So I could potentially use A1, C1, E1, and G1 which are all far enough away from the coolers that I should be able to insert and remove them without removing the coolers?

Last edited:

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I just completed the same build as jdartnet, and I can tell you that the DIMM slot closest to the CPU (B2, D2, F2, H2 ) cannot be removed/added with the hyper 212 evo. I was able to reseat them, but don't think they can be pulled out completely.

Reactions: tanders12

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
How did you all end up doing the case fans? Are you using the hub in the back or connecting them directly to system fan headers?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I'm using the PWM hub for the case fans, and connecting the hub to the "System Fan 7" 4-pin connector near the back of the motherboard. FYI, during the FRU/SDR update/configuration it refers to it as something like Rear System Fan, rather than "system fan 7".

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Awesome, that's how I have it plugged in as well. What are those other 2 pins for on the motherboard connector?

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
How did you all end up doing the case fans? Are you using the hub in the back or connecting them directly to system fan headers?
At first, I used the HUB, but then went straight to the headers. The more I read about it, the less I liked the idea of running all fans from one header. Plus the added benefit of using the headers is motherboard control of each each fan separately.

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
I'm using the PWM hub for the case fans, and connecting the hub to the "System Fan 7" 4-pin connector near the back of the motherboard. FYI, during the FRU/SDR update/configuration it refers to it as something like Rear System Fan, rather than "system fan 7".
Ah! That makes sense. I was scratching my head looking for that famous "system fan 7" I kept seeing on the FRU/SDR update.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I haven't taken a look at fan speeds, nor tried to tune for noise. Out of the box it's already so much quieter than the rest of my lab. I was feeling lazy so no impetus for me to test the hub vs mobo headers.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
**This has been resolved. Check out post #5 for solution.

For anyone reading this, do you happen to know if this motherboard supports sleep?

In the BIOS there's a section where I could enable s3 as well as s6 states. Assuming this was a way to get it working I enabled both, however, in Windows 7 the sleep option is still grayed out.

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.
Did you ever get the sleep feature to work correctly? I have a video card installed. windows 10 let me select time to sleep, but when it enters sleep, the monitor and hard drive shut downs but all the fans as well as psu and graphic cards fan are still on. I did enabled S3 and S6 in bios. I have a bios from 2012.

Appreciate any help. thnx

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
Did you ever get the sleep feature to work correctly? I have a video card installed. windows 10 let me select time to sleep, but when it enters sleep, the monitor and hard drive shut downs but all the fans as well as psu and graphic cards fan are still on. I did enabled S3 and S6 in bios. I have a bios from 2012.

Appreciate any help. thnx
Just replied to your PM.
To keep the conversation open, and help the public, make sure to read the instructions on post #5.
It seems you need to update the BIOS to the one I mentioned as well as disable on board video. The culprit with sleep in the onboard video, since it keeps the motherboard from sleeping.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Just replied to your PM.
To keep the conversation open, and help the public, make sure to read the instructions on post #5.
It seems you need to update the BIOS to the one I mentioned as well as disable on board video. The culprit with sleep in the onboard video, since it keeps the motherboard from sleeping.
I do have a video card installed in 2nd blue pcie slot and onboard video disabled. which bios version do you have? I have the one from 2/28/2012.

so when yours goes into sleep does all the fans and everything actually power down aside from the light around the power button blinking? On mine, the light around the power button blink, the hard drive and monitor turns off. But all the fans as well as the psu and the fan on graphic card and the heatsink stays on. when my z800 computer sleeps, everything gets power down with only a blinking light left around the power button.

Btw, I have the phanteks case and the natex S2600cp2j combo just like you :). got an NVidia fx 13800 . waiting for my pcie usb3 and sound cards

jdartnet

Apr 7, 2016
West New York, NJ
www.jdart.net
I do have a video card installed in 2nd blue pcie slot and onboard video disabled. which bios version do you have? I have the one from 2/28/2012.

so when yours goes into sleep does all the fans and everything actually power down aside from the light around the power button blinking? On mine, the light around the power button blink, the hard drive and monitor turns off. But all the fans as well as the psu and the fan on graphic card and the heatsink stays on. when my z800 computer sleeps, everything gets power down with only a blinking light left around the power button.

Btw, I have the phanteks case and the natex S2600cp2j combo just like you :). got an NVidia fx 13800 . waiting for my pcie usb3 and sound cards
@wildpig1234, I gotta tell you, please read in detail what I've posted early in this thread. I've mentioned that I'm running the firmware and bios from June, 2015. While I understand you're frustrated in getting this setup to work, taking a moment to read through information goes a very long way. Below is a link to the bios I'm running, and the one I can confirm works with the motherboard.

Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
@wildpig1234, I gotta tell you, please read in detail what I've posted early in this thread. I've mentioned that I'm running the firmware and bios from June, 2015. While I understand you're frustrated in getting this setup to work, taking a moment to read through information goes a very long way. Below is a link to the bios I'm running, and the one I can confirm works with the motherboard.

Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

Ok thanks. I will try that. just want to get the sleep properly set up.

So I imagine that when yours is sleeping the PSU fan and video card (and not just the monitor) also shut off? I have a quadro 6000 I was going to put in my box, but that thing is like a power monster. I would hate to have it still running even when the box is supposed to be sleeping...