Intel S2600CP and Nvidia GTX 1070 problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
FYI, disabling "PCIe AER Support" appears to have fixed my random fatal hardware errors (WHEA-Logger on the PCI Root Port). My system has run rock solid for almost 24 hours (wouldn't last more than 4 hours before).

I believe this option was disabled when I loaded BIOS defaults and that is why the system got unreliable at the same time I swapped out my 950 for a 1070. So, it wasn't the 1070, it was this option.

Maybe this will help others.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
FYI, disabling "PCIe AER Support" appears to have fixed my random fatal hardware errors (WHEA-Logger on the PCI Root Port). My system has run rock solid for almost 24 hours (wouldn't last more than 4 hours before).

I believe this option was disabled when I loaded BIOS defaults and that is why the system got unreliable at the same time I swapped out my 950 for a 1070. So, it wasn't the 1070, it was this option.

Maybe this will help others.
Yes, definitely disable the PCIe AER as well as the other error reporting in that same section. It's a well known facts that many video cards don't work very well with this error reporting on. I was messing around with a friend's Dell for 2 wk with frustrating random crashes and this solved it.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Well, after a month, the system is basically unreliable with the 1070 in it. I can't seem to find a combination of drivers that makes it stable long-term crunching PrimeGrid. Just pulled the 1070 and put my 950 back in. Will see how that goes.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
FYI, the 950 has been running for 16 days solid with no reboots, hangs or anything. Both it and the 2 CPU's are crunching away on PrimeGrid so the system is under load.

It would be interesting to see if the 10 series worked using PCIE 3.0 and a v2 processor. Oh well, maybe in the distant future.

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
Hello Guys,
just wanted to express how much you helped me!
Reading this i managed to get a GTX 1060 to run in my S2600CP4 based System!

It is running in slot #3 now, >4GB option enabled, AER disabled...
I wouldnt be posting if i havent still trouble though :)

(1) Very serious: When i first tried to install the GTX 1060 i used slot 6 (nearest to CPU#2, full length)
I got power for the card using a 2xMolex to 6 PIN GPU Adapter.
System never booted, i got a 1-5-4-4 beep (Soft power error)
removed from slot 6, tried Slot 5, same.
AT that time i was having 2 CPU's, 2 x E5-2620 v2

It turned out that i "fried" the power supply for CPU#2, so since then i am only running with 1 CPU.
I learned that slot6 maybe did not offer the 75W for a GPU and thus i maybe freid the 12V rail for CPU #2 ?!?
If anyone has an idea which part might be damaged on the Mobo, i have some very capable friends that could solder & exchange nearly everything with their equipment, i only need to know what...

NEVERTHELESS i continued with 1 CPU...

(2) After i got the GPU to run in Slot #3 i still have "freezes" of the running Win 10 System, no matter if its working or idle. Lets say about every 60 seconds for 2 seconds.
Its not THAT regular but to give you an idea.
Do you know whats running wild there ?

Thank you for any advise / help you can offer. If you think this is the wrong forum posting, please let me know!

Nils

P.S. i DO have that PCI error at bootup...

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
sorry to hear what happened.. but i guess there is always a chance you could've damage more than just cpu 2 power supply component. ;(

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
sorry to hear what happened.. but i guess there is always a chance you could've damage more than just cpu 2 power supply component. ;(
Hi!
Yes of course, but so far it looks good. With only CPU #1 running i tried both PSU's seperately and also both together. All works fine of course with warnings if i only use one about missing redundancy. Also i tested every PCIe slot and *only* number 5 is dead which is the one linked to CPU#2. SO that was expected.
Also a 2hour mem test and a full install of Win10 & some benchmarks were running fine.

I *did* get rid of the frequent freezes by removing the LSI SAS Raid controller, so thats that!
I guess there is some incompatibility between GTX 1060 and that SAS Raid as both work fine without the other.

So this leaves me with all working fine except i lost a CPU slot.

SO i *hope* i "just" lost 12V CPU supply line to CPU#2. Any ideas what too look for / what to replace?
I bought the whole setup for $200 so i am not going to spend $700 on a replacement Motherboard.
My current Plan B is to buy one more highend CPU with a lot of cores (like a 10 core or 12 core) so i have about the same or even mire processing power then with the 2 E5-2620 v2 i used before...

Ideas? Or an idea where to go or where to ask for that low level Electronics stuff?

Greetings,

Ender

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
what exactly are you using your setup for? work or just experiment? if for work, you should consider the ryzen stuffs. a lot faster single core and also very competitive price for multicore performance along with supports for latest hardware.

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
Hi WildPig :)
I needed a cheap machine with loads of Ram and most cheap used PC's cant adress much Ram ( i need 48 GByte min, 64 GByte ideally).
I want to run several VM's in parallel. AND i need to do some GPU stuff as well so i needed a tower and no 1U or 2U Rack System.
Besides those needs i like to play with ESXi...
And i got this tower relatively cheap with 2 x 2620v2 and 128 GBytes of Ram and 5x600GByte SAS for about $200...
So i am saddened by the loss of one CPU but i *can* live with one CPU, albeit a more expensive one to compensate for the loss.
I'd like to revive teh motherboard if i find a wizard who can give me a lead.
BTW the noise of the fans kills me, for me no settings makes a difference, always extremely loud.
But at some time i will also find out about that :)

Greetings,

Nils

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I guess i can see why you want to keep it around to play with it. You can max out the speed by getting the e5-2697 v2 for around $165. that is pretty much the fastest you will be able to go. Would have been nice to have dual 2697 v2 for around $330 or less because you still cant exactly get anything for that price that would beat dual 2697 v2 at multicore as well as allow for a lot of cheap ddr3 ram.

The fan will not slow down until you set up the correct profile in the FRUSDR.

I had the s2600 for a year. it was good but i got tired of the limitations including the limitation PCIE downgrade when you use v1 cpu as well as not able to use oem cpu like 2696 v2 and got the asus z9ped16 and never look back.

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
Hi Wildpig,
yep i am browsing the CPU Options right now...
How would i set the correct profile in the FRUSDR? I just tried the BIOS Acoustic settings ?!
Would be great to get the noise down without having to get physical :)

Greetings,

Nils

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
Hello wildpig,
i *think* my FRUSDR is updated to the latest as i used exactly the link in your reffered thread as my Motherboards BIOS was very old when i got it and a lot of comüponents were updated, amongst it i believe FRUSDR. So are there any settings to "play with" apart the ones found in the System BIOS?

Greetings,

Nils

Nils Heidorn

Jan 26, 2020
Oh holy crap!
Thinking a bit i realized that one of the things i did to check whats wrong with the dead CPU Slot (and if it really is dead) is to reset the CMOS. So i went to the FRUSDR Settings again and SILENCIO!

Thanks for triggering that :)

Nils

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
glad to hear it's silent now. sorry that you are still only limited to 1 cpu. you should consider getting a dual cpu MB replacement. another s2600 MB is not that expensive. you can always sell this broken one to get at least some cash back. maybe there is an asus z9ped16 out there for cheap?