Intel S2600CP and Nvidia GTX 1070 problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pjvandam

Sep 8, 2016
Hello,

A few months ago i bought my first workstation for my bioinformatics work. I used the natex combo to buy an Intel S2600CP2J, 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 and 128Gb of DDR3 ECC. All this is installed in an Enthoo Pro like many on this forum. My PSU is a Corsair RM850x. I bought a cheap Nvidia GT610 to get the basics working. I flashed the BIOS to the newest one (2.06.0002) to get the SDR right. My OS is Ubuntu 16.04. Until now it was working like a charm, really happy with it.

Because we want to try some Deep Learning, I bought a Gainward GTX 1070 and this is where the problem starts. There is no room in the top x16 (x8 electrical) slot, so I have to use one of the two blue x8 slots with open connectors. The bottom one is difficult as the GTX 1070 is so huge the SATA cables are blocking access to it. It does fit really nice in the top blue x8 slot (slot 5 according to the manual, that is only working if CPU 2 is installed). When installed here I don't get anything on the screen during booting or thereafter, both through HDMI or DP. I then checked with my GT610 in that slot, also nothing on the screen. The GT610 does work in the bottom slot. Then I removed all my SATA cables but one to test the GTX 1070 in the bottom blue slot which it then just fits. Again nothing on the screen. Clearly I am doing something wrong but I don't know what.

GPU is installed with PCI-E 8 pin power cable. For the record I also know that with the newest bios it will only give me PCI-E 2.0 speeds but I just want to get it working.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
It doesn't like to have the card in slot 5 as much. If you are not getting anything, you should take out the gfx card and then do a bios reset to default values with the jumper on the board and let it boot again without the 1070. you need to use the onboard video output this first time. Then go back and plug the 1070 into the bottom blue slot. then you can go back inside the bios and changes setting back.

Also, if you read the manual, only the two blue slots with retainers have the 75w power spec for gfx cards anyway. no point bother with the top x16 slots as that is x8 but i don't think even have the 75w.

what bios vers are you on anyway? Also make sure to have MM I/O > 4g enabled

Last edited:
Reactions: pjvandam

pjvandam

Sep 8, 2016
I am running BIOS 2.06.0002. I finally solved the problem by indeed only using the bottom blue slot and by setting the I/O Mapped Above 4Gb to Enabled in BIOS. Then I ran into some issues with Ubuntu but that's another matter. Thanks!

Reactions: William

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
you can leave onboard video enabled but should disable dual mode.

with MMIO>4GB enabled, you should be able to use both blue slots for gfx card at the same time. I have a gtx 950 and nvs 510 in there t the same time. No sure if our board support SLI. prob not.

Also are you able to get yours to go to sleep in win 7/10? if so, how long does it take it to enter sleep after you initiate it? an how do you wake it up from sleep? thnx

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Reviving a bit of an old thread. I'm trying to get a 1070 to work with a S2600CP also. Running BIOS 02.06.0005.

On boot up, I get a "PXE E01 PCI Vendor and Device ID Do Not Match" error, but then the system does boot and card does work. However, every 8 hours or so the system will spontaneously reboot. The Windows event log gives the following error:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Generic
Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x1
Vendor ID: DeviceID: 0x10DE:0x10f0
Class Code: 0x40300

This is also a rebooted from bugcheck error with a memory dump. The device ID listed in the error doesn't match the device ID displayed in GPU-Z. GPU-Z also states the device is running in PCIe x16 2.0 @ 8 2.0, and I would have expected it to run at PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8.

On a side note, the system will not boot with two graphics cards (NVidia 1070 and NVidia 950) in it. It gives an Out of PCI resources error.

Issue number is most pressing because have one reliable 1070 would be awesome. Two GPUs would be icing on the cake.

Any ideas?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
enabled MMIO> 4Gb?

PCIe 2.0 is correct. Intel delibrately limited it to PCIe 2.0 if you are using v1 cpu. to have 3.0 have to use v2 cpu. Under most circumstances this won't be an issue as pcie 2.0 x8 is still plenty of bandwidth.

Will the system boot with only one 1070 or 950 with only 1 gpu in the blue pcie slot associated with cpu 1 ? i am sure you have the lastest windows 10 build? the first windows 10 build won't even let me install the driver when i tried to install a 1060.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Thank you for the quick response. It's tough to find information on this MB.

After rereading the BIOS update procedure, I never reloaded the default settings in the BIOS after doing the update. I did that and the device ID's don't match error went away. It also speedup the BIOS user interface (it used to be really sluggish) and added a pretty Intel splash screen.

However, the PC still reboots every few hours with the error described. The 1070 is in the blue slot closest to the processors. It ran 100% reliably for about a week with a 950 in the same slot. FYI, the computer is dedicated to compute so both processors and whatever GPU is installed is running at 100% (or about) all the time. Processors max out at about 60C, so it's not a temp issue.

PC will boot and load windows with the 1070 in either slot.

I did have MMIO > 4GB enabled. Just tried disabling that and will see if the random reboot stops.

Definitely have the latest version of Windows with patches and Intel chipset drivers from the Intel website installed.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
thats good that it at least run 950 reliably at load for a week.. If you have the 1070 in there but idling or just light usage like web browsing, does it still reboot?

You should see if you can run both cards at same time with MMIO enabled.

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
It doesn't like to have the card in slot 5 as much. If you are not getting anything, you should take out the gfx card and then do a bios reset to default values with the jumper on the board and let it boot again without the 1070. you need to use the onboard video output this first time. Then go back and plug the 1070 into the bottom blue slot. then you can go back inside the bios and changes setting back.

Also, if you read the manual, only the two blue slots with retainers have the 75w power spec for gfx cards anyway. no point bother with the top x16 slots as that is x8 but i don't think even have the 75w.

what bios vers are you on anyway? Also make sure to have MM I/O > 4g enabled
Slot 5 runs off of CPU2, so that is an issue. I purchased an EVGA mini GTX 1060 which runs great in slot 6. Several manufacturers make mini GTX 1070s that will fit there also.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Another update:
Turns out updating the BIOS didn't resolve the "PXE E01 PCI Vendor and Device ID Do Not Match" error. It simply turned off displaying it.

Verified that installing both the 1070 and a 950 will always cause an out of PCI resources error (#146 I believe) on bootup. With both these cards installed, the system will not allow me to turn on MMIO > 4GB (it hangs when trying to save that change to BIOS).

A single EVGA 1070 Hybrid FTW in slot #5 with or without MMIO > 4GB enabled will cause the random reboot described above.

Trying the 1070 in slot #3 now.

If it doesn't work, I'm trying a 980ti in slot #3, where the 950 appeared to work.

Does the mini GTX 1060 give the Device ID Do Not Match error on boot up?

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
There's no error of any kind. It gets 3 beeps and goes right to the Intel logo screen before booting into windows. When I tried a larger RX 480 in blue slot 3 it went to an old fashioned BIOS listing instead, but still no errors. Gigabyte and Zotac make nice mini 1070s, which I will pick up when I get a deal on one

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Is the pause on error BIOS entry enabled on your system? That appears to mask the Match error.

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
I did not make any setting to that affect in the BIOS. I'll have to look in the BIOS the next time I boot it but I've never seen any error of any kind with the GTX 1060 installed in slot 6. When I tried the RX 480 in slot 3 there were lots of messages since the Intel Server Board splash screen was never displayed.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for trying. I have quiet boot disabled on my machine, fyi...

Faulted in slot #3 last night. This may not be a general problem. After checking the memory.dmp file, it's the primegrid process that is faulting so it may be bug in their software.

I'm going to reinstall Windows 10 and NOT install the intel chipset drivers in to try the Windows 10 defaults.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Did you download and install "Intel® Server Chipsets Driver for Windows Server 2012* R2" from the intel website? Or did you use the Windows 7 Pro defaults.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Fresh install of Windows 10 drivers only didn't fix it. Will try Windows 7 Ultimate next. The board seems super stable and consistent, other than PrimeGrid on the GPU (on the CPUs it's rock solid).

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Another question, in your BIOS under Server Management is PCIe AER Support Enabled? It's tough to find information on that setting, but one site says they recommend disabling it for reliability because some hardware/software doesn't support it.