Intel S1400FP2 LGA1356 UP Motherboard 160$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
Whats th difference between the lite and regular one? Are all the capabilities there?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Looks like only the rmm4lite is required. The other part hat you linked to is if you want to add an addition dedicated port on the node rather than share one of the existing nics

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Also looks like you need an rmm4lite for each node. Plus the other part for each if you want to have a dedicated port on each node

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
bit like the Poweredge machines (specifically my R310) needed both the port and the drac module etc.

.:mad:

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Has anyone pulled the trigger on these yet and has gotten them to work properly? I bought three S1400FP motherboards with rmm4lite modules to be paired with three E5-2418L cpus for my new VMWare vSAN home lab. I just pieced everything together this morning and I'm getting the Intel beep code 1-5-4-4 which has all kinds of interesting causes according to the internet (which end up blaming the motherboard and the power supply). I've tried two cpus and motherboards so far with the same issue. I'm using an old Antec NeoHE 500watt power supply, which I think might be the problem, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have another couple of days before my ability to return the motherboards expires.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I am sure how much help that could offer you.
I do not have the single socket version of Intel board, but dual socket socket Intel board.
and E5-2418L from the same ebay seller in the earlier post.

I used a Corsair 500w power supply, be sure to use a 8 pin EPS 12V connectors, the 4 pin version may not work.

The dual socket Intel board booted Windows 2012r2 and passed Prime95 stress test no problem.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I am sure how much help that could offer you.
I do not have the single socket version of Intel board, but dual socket socket Intel board.
and E5-2418L from the same ebay seller in the earlier post.

I used a Corsair 500w power supply, be sure to use a 8 pin EPS 12V connectors, the 4 pin version may not work.

The dual socket Intel board booted Windows 2012r2 and passed Prime95 stress test no problem.

Thanks for your input. The Antec NeoHE 500watt power supply I tried has an 8 pin power connector (that I used) that's ATX12V 2.2 and EPS12V compliant, but I'm wondering if it needs version 2.3 compliance. I don't know. I've had similar problems in the past with an older socket 775 Intel server board (I can't remember which), but I ended up using a Corsair TX750 with it (which was version 2.3 compliant). I'll have my power supplies on hand to test tomorrow.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I am not aware the version 2.3, but I always use the cheapest power supply for bench testing.
Mostly, I used the $20 special Corsair 430 watt to bench test new system.

Any power supply that were made last few hours should have no problem to power up a single E5-2418L system.
I believed the Intel single E5-2418L would only need less than 90 watt to power up, and 45w idle.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I am not aware the version 2.3, but I always use the cheapest power supply for bench testing.
Mostly, I used the $20 special Corsair 430 watt to bench test new system.

Any power supply that were made last few hours should have no problem to power up a single E5-2418L system.
I believed the Intel single E5-2418L would only need less than 90 watt to power up, and 45w idle.

You hit the nail on the head. Guess what? My Antec Earthwatts 380D power supplies showed up today. I replaced the NeoHE 500 and it fired right up!! Looking at the NewEgg add for the Earthwatts shows the 2.3 compliance:

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

You're spot on with the idle power. I'm getting 46watts at idle using my Kill-A-Watt with a single 120mm fan on the heatsink and a single 8GB stick of ram.

Oh and FYI, out of the two motherboards I've opened up so far, both had bent serial headers. They're extremely easy to bend, so I doubt the motherboard itself was bent as well. It's just a byproduct of poor packaging in my opinion.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Good but also bad to know about the serial ports eh?

My hsf should arrive this week and I can give mine a whirl

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Makes you wonder if any other SMC chips have been knocked off the board with the serial port handling huh? Would be hard to spot!

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Makes you wonder if any other SMC chips have been knocked off the board with the serial port handling huh? Would be hard to spot!
I haven't had a chance to investigate it further yet, but I highly doubt that. If you look at the pictures that Stanza posted, the serial port is a non-braced package, meaning there's no plastic or metal 90 degree standoffs that go into holes on the motherboard to keep it upright. You can literally bend the serial port with your fingers, so the fact that it bent in the first place is not surprising. Like I already said, poor packaging is definitely to blame here. Since I bought three motherboards, the eBay seller shipped them to me in the original packaging box that Intel ships six motherboards in from the factory. The box holds the motherboard boxes very tightly without any additional packing materials, so it makes sense that a single jolt to that particular side of the box caused the motherboard to slide and bend the serial connector.

To illustrate the point, here's a braced db9 package:

Last edited:

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
UPDATE:

I'm currently testing one of the CPUs I got on these motherboards and I'm memtesting 18 sticks of DDR3 1333 ECC ram. So far, so good! I'm rockin a Kill-A-Watt measurement of 57 watts with three fans (2 x 120mm and 1 x 80mm) and 6 sticks of ram while crunching MemTest86+. Also, this motherboard has an unbelievable amount of BIOS settings to tinker with. I've never seen a BIOS with the ability to tell the motherboard your altitude above sea level (located in the performance and acoustics section).

Also, there's no chance this bent DB9 problem is a coincidence. Look how a brand spankin new Supermicro X10SRL-F LGA2011 DDR4 motherboard arrived at work today (from NewEgg):

Same problem with a completely different motherboard. Just like the box for the Intel motherboards, that corner of the box caved in a bit during shipping and smashed the connector. Insane. My co-worker was able to bend it back without any real damage and the board appears to work fine.