Intel RS2BL080 and SSD Cache, is the Premium Key (AXXRPFKSSD) required

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
Hello everyone.
This is my very first post, but surely not my last.

I am in the process of planning my new storage solution and have a question regarding the Intel SSD Cache on the Intel RS2BL080 Raid Controller:
Is the SSD Premium Key (AXXRPFKSSD) required to use SSD drivers as cache or does it simply improve the performance of the SSD Cache?

Sincerely
Wixner

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I thought you did need the key to enable the feature? there are other solutions for SSD caching out there though.

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
I have really no idea :confused:

No Intel Documentation I've found so far states the obvious but as it is built upon wellknown hardware I'd hope someone here had the answer...

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
If you want the equivalent of LSI's Cachecade & Fastpath then you do need the key. I have the Intel RS2BL080 and LSI hardware key but it didn't work. If I remember correctly it didn't even take the 30 days software trial key so you do need an Intel version of Cachecade (AXXRPFKSSD) to use SSD as cache.

Wixner

Feb 20, 2013
If you want the equivalent of LSI's Cachecade & Fastpath then you do need the key. I have the Intel RS2BL080 and LSI hardware key but it didn't work. If I remember correctly it didn't even take the 30 days software trial key so you do need an Intel version of Cachecade (AXXRPFKSSD) to use SSD as cache.
Alright, Thanks a lot for that answer :)

This however raises another question in my mind: If I buy the key and configures a 2x 120GiB SSD as Raid0 (240GiB in total, as you would have guessed), would i see any increase in performance if the only data in my storage is a 4TiB iSCSI Virtual Harddrive?

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
You will, in fact, see a huge differernce with Cachecade. It might be better with one 240GB SSD than 2x 120GB. The SSD caching does support RAID1 for redundancy but the cost of 2x 120 RAID 0 should be about the same as 1x 240GB. The main reason is because each SSD actually takes a port away from your controller (unless you use a SAS expander but this still requires an additional mounting) so a single SSD is what I'd prefer.

Also, watch out if you're using 512GB SSD for caching. I know LSI claims SSD support uo tp 512GB (with any combination) but I think you actually have to make the SSD less than 512GB if you don't want any trouble.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
cachecade 1.0 requires read-ahead enabled. drives can be raid-0 or single , the idea being that the SSD's should always be faster than the array behind them. IE 1 slow 250 meg ssd will lag down 6 15K SAS drives in linear read, but perhaps random i/o will be far faster due to latency.

cachecade 1.0 can suffer a loss of the ssd and continue to operate normally.

cachecade 2.0 with read/write requires a raid'ed ssd setup - raid 10 or 1 - same rule applies but you are writing and reading so if think about that you want redundancy and speed to 512GB. If the cachecade drive(s) fails, the entire array fails. 1 SSD in 2.0 read/write mode is INSANE and would be too slow imo.

Two 512gb (480gb after OP) in raid-1 would be okay, but 4 x 256gb with a little OP would be best in raid-10.

IIRC you can connect up an MSA2312sa ($499 ebay) to 1 external and 4 x 256gb to internal and the external sas (4x3gbps) can benefit from the hot caching.

Now if you have 4 servers (in a cluster box?) that can do this - you can connect 4 machines with cachecade to the same san (different luns of course) and they can have a good ole time.

It's highly SMART to overprovision for caching on cachecade 2.0 read/write. That samsung 830/840 pro will retain its speed and life if you say knock it from 512gb to 256gb - If you use the entire 512gb you will wear it out in a year or so and disk iops will drop by 10x when under continual load.

Seriously - i'd pick a crucial m4 $299 512gb and run it at 50% before i'd pick an OCZ and run it without OP.

I wish they made a cluster server where you had two internal or 4 2.5" internal pay "Blade" and then a slot for a 4i/4e cachecade controller. Then plug those 4 servers in a single $499 MSA2312SA with 12 4TB SAS RE4 drives (SAS is key here). Build 4 separate luns for each cluster server so there is no cache coherency , and go to town. Maybe this would allow you to rock raid-5/6 with nearline RE4 SAS drives while not feeling the pain of the 7200rpm speed.