Intel RMS25KB080 same LSI9207-8i ? for $179

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Intel must be providing no support or OEM marketing on C216 as only 1.5 vendors have them...really sucks because an ITX or uATX version would be great.
I would guess there are not many C216 boards because it doesn't get you much compared to the C20(6|4|2). USB3 and vPro are the two things that come up with ARK.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Can anyone get a better picture of the (un)populated header pins at the top back of the card above the SAS?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Will see if I can get those for you this evening.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I would guess there are not many C216 boards because it doesn't get you much compared to the C20(6|4|2). USB3 and vPro are the two things that come up with ARK.
Problem with the sea of C20X boards is getting Ivy/22nm support, because it seems like all of them are still shipped with launch BIOS and nobody bothers to update them at the factory or channel. Pretty much all the places I shop at that carry SM boards suffer from this.

I could go grab a $35 sandy celeron to keep on hand but it just rubs me the wrong way, and if you sneeze during a cpu swap the LGA socket is damaged.

Consumer board brands seem to be kept reasonably up to date (e.g. most 6 series selling as new right now have an ivy capable BIOS) probably because they get saddled with the RMA but the drop-ship places where typical server stuff is sold don't?

C216/7 series is pin-compatible with C206/6 series, I wonder why nobody even did a basic drop-in revision.

The asus board is very nice overall, its pretty much ideal for me besides the wasted vPro without the proper NIC. Silver lining is right now for ESXi having twin L is better, LM not supported by brain-dead vmware driver compiled in 2009. Same for platforms based on older BSD etc. Eventually that will change and I will miss not having iKVM though.

Anyways, waiting with baited breath for my lump of plastic to arrive for testing :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Still trying to get this to light up. Did not work on two Supermicro and one ASUS platform.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
So are we convinced Intel has locked these down to their BIOS and you're not just experiencing a fluke?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Big issue here is time and LGA 2011 CPUs. If I had two more I could try it in an Intel platform.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Just arrived today, it came with both Low profile and normal bracket so won't be a total loss if I don't get this to work.

As above doesn't do anything in my non Intel E5 board.

I have pulled the heatsink off and there is a Maxim max8686 DC-DC converter.
I'm thinking this could be the chip that controls the power to the SAS2308 if a certain condition is met.
I have somethings I need to try, and see if I can make the SAS2308 live in a non Intel E5 mobo.

Last edited:

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
Was that test in your Asus board in your sig? You have me wondering if it will work in my S1200BTLR (not S1200BTLR*M* which does support it I believe)

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Just arrived today, it came with both Low profile and normal bracket so won't be a total loss if I don't get this to work.

As above doesn't do anything in my non Intel E5 board.

I have pulled the heatsink off and there is a Maxim max8686 DC-DC converter.
I'm thinking this could be the chip that controls the power to the SAS2308 if a certain condition is met.
I have somethings I need to try, and see if I can make the SAS2308 live in a non Intel E5 mobo.
If you ever figure anything out it would be awesome, I wouldn't mind upgrading my 1015s on the cheap and selling those, I'll be slowly adding SSDs to my ZFS box anyways.

PCIe 3.0, a bigger heatsink (LSI chips sure do run hot) and better port placement for cables = win.

FWIW it never even registered a card was present on my asus box (C216+E3) nor my lenovo laptop mobile flash kit (QM77).

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Card came with a huge sticker claiming it would only work on Intel E5 server boards.
Not sure it will work on a i1200 mobo.

I've tried all sorts of stuff to by pass what ever Intel has done.

In the PDF above the max8686 has the ability to add a switch by shorting a resistor.
So with heatsink off, multimeter accross both ends of the resistor in question (I think)
This did nothing.
Everything on the board is so tiny doing any work on it would be near impossible

That road closed, I got out the masking tape.
I've taped up all sorts of pins on the PCIe connector incl SMbus, JTAG pins, Link reactivation and Prsnt pin
Nothing seems to undo Intels witchcraft.

So that was last nights efforts, to no avail

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Do you have a hi-rez picture without the heat sink on? With some more eyes looking, maybe we can see something else.